kill the olympics

spankoka

Super Anarchist
Yeah well, Japanese cheerleaders just show up and look cute so maybe that's not such a big deal. They don't usually do the maybe you should have a net under you American cheerleaders do. 

Santanasailor

Charter Member. Scow Mafia
North Louisiana
One has to really feel for Japan.  In a way I think the Olympics may be starting to go past their time.  Too much money, too many scandals, (doping, etc) too much subjectively judged events and jsut too much.  

A fixed site maintained by the international community would be a big step in curtailing costs for the individual nations.

Terry Hollis

Super Anarchist
One has to really feel for Japan.  In a way I think the Olympics may be starting to go past their time.  Too much money, too many scandals, (doping, etc) too much subjectively judged events and jsut too much.  

A fixed site maintained by the international community would be a big step in curtailing costs for the individual nations.
Wouldn't really work for the multitude of different sports, might work if a particular type off sport was allocated to each country, eg running to Greece, sailing to New Zealand, tennis to England etc.

Santanasailor

Charter Member. Scow Mafia
North Louisiana
Wouldn't really work for the multitude of different sports, might work if a particular type off sport was allocated to each country, eg running to Greece, sailing to New Zealand, tennis to England etc.
I like your idea of having sports allocated to the many smaller nations especially for some nations that specialize in a sport.  

spankoka

Super Anarchist
It seems like the baseball games at Koriyama will be the only event with spectators. Sailing and Surfing would seem to be out of luck here, as their venues are close enough to Tokyo to be covered by the emergency. 

EYESAILOR

Super Anarchist
While it is a bummer to run the Olympics without spectators, exceptional times merit an unusual Olympics and I dont understand @Editor push to cancel or kill the Olympics.

The decision to exclude international spectators and visitors was taken a long time ago, so nobody is last minute cancelling plane flights etc.  This most recent decision means that local Japanese lose the opportunity to watch the Olympics in person in their life times. That is a damn shame for the Japanese who have invested a lot in bringing the Olympics to their own doorstep....but most Japanese understand

The Olympics can still go on and we (and the Japanese) can watch it on TV and streaming. 

The people who would suffer if the event was cancelled altogether would be the athletes who have spent four or more years preparing and qualifying to attend.  Some 70% of athletes only get to go to the Olympics once, when they are at peak of their prowess. Cancelling the Olympics would mean they never fulfill their dream. The Japanese are doing the right thing, cancelling spectators to prevent covid outbreaks but allowing the events to go ahead.

In contrast, in the UK, where the fourth surge is in full swing, the British Grand Prix is going ahead this weekend with full spectator attendance.

Couta

Super Anarchist
Australia
In contrast, in the UK, where the fourth surge is in full swing, the British Grand Prix is going ahead this weekend with full spectator attendance.
Seriously? Please look at the vax rates for the country comparisons you're making....and the fact that the UK has never had the virus "under control"...and then consider your argument....that athletes missing out on an event should take priority over the health and welfare of the Japanese population - a community that overwhelmingly wanted the event cancelled..... You've been pushing your position for months now and it seems that any semblance of balance and perspective has long since been abandoned. So... please don't let facts get in the way...not at this late stage! Citius! Altius! Fortius!

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
As a point of detail, it's the third. 1st was spring 2020, 2nd was autumn 2020 going into winter 2021 and the third is accelerating now. 

EYESAILOR

Super Anarchist
As a point of detail, it's the third. 1st was spring 2020, 2nd was autumn 2020 going into winter 2021 and the third is accelerating now. 
Yes, I see that. There was a sort of false peak in November when it looked like cases were declining but it ramped right back up in January.

The summer 2021 surge must be as frustrating as it was unanticipated. You have one of the highest vaccination rates . The virus was expected to decline in the Summer and you have delayed the date to end restrictions.  The prevalent explanation seems to be the Delta variant

A friend of ours is flying to the UK for the Grand Prix.   He will have taken 7 CV19 tests before  he returns. 1 2 days prior to board the plane. 1 on arrival . 1 during quarantine. 1 to end quarantine. 1 to enter the circuit.  1 prior to flight back. 1 on arrival back in US.  He is double jabbed and plans on wearing a mask in the paddock and pit lane.

The Olympians in Japan get tested every day.

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
The summer 2021 surge must be as frustrating as it was unanticipated.
Yes. Double-vaccinated, I'd just resumed sailing, now local cases are heading back towards winter levels. We have been notified that  infected people were at the club last weekend. Covid isn't likely to kill me now but long Covid I can do without. Sailing tomorrow or staying home? I haven't actually decided.

Variants don't respect  borders and unfortunately, I think the rest of Europe and the USA will be heading the same way soon.

EYESAILOR

Super Anarchist
Yes. Double-vaccinated, I'd just resumed sailing, now local cases are heading back towards winter levels. We have been notified that  infected people were at the club last weekend. Covid isn't likely to kill me now but long Covid I can do without. Sailing tomorrow or staying home? I haven't actually decided.

Variants don't respect  borders and unfortunately, I think the rest of Europe and the USA will be heading the same way soon.
Started racing again after 16 months.  16 months is the longest period that I have not sailed in over 30 years. 

Cases picking up here last few days. My state is over 60% vaccinated, largely with mRNA vaccines , so hoping we can hold back the Delta variant.  Frustrating that we are not at 80% of adults.

spankoka

Super Anarchist
Thomas Bach is now in Tokyo, where he thanked the Chinese people for holding the Olympics. His next activity will be breaking the Olympic Covid rules with a photo-op in Hiroshima!

mccroc

Anarchist
Sydney
The people who would suffer if the event was cancelled altogether would be the athletes who have spent four or more years preparing and qualifying to attend.  Some 70% of athletes only get to go to the Olympics once, when they are at peak of their prowess. Cancelling the Olympics would mean they never fulfill their dream. The Japanese are doing the right thing, cancelling spectators to prevent covid outbreaks but allowing the events to go ahead.
I think the millions of people who have died of COVID have had their dreams unfulfilled too!  This is why people like me believe the Olympics should have been cancelled as a mark of respect to the millions who have suffered, or are still suffering.