Knocked Out - From Front Page

shanghaisailor

Super Anarchist
Shanghai, China
To give the full story of “Knocked Out” from the Front page. Team TT were on starboard about 200m from the start line with about 3m 30s to the start when Team Moscow, on Port, hit them with a very heavy impact.

Team TT couldn’t go up to avoid the collision as this would have likely caused a collision with and possible sinking of a media boat – could it have been the one carrying the photographer? but I am only speculating

The media boat in question, whichever one it was, perhaps didn’t cause the collision but it certainly reduced the options of Team TT’s helmsman who incidentally – before anyone says – was not a “Chinese beginner” but an experienced foreign professional sailor.

Three members of Team TT required hospital treatment, the helmsman had rib damage, the crew coordinator, a young Chinese lady and good sailor in her own right, only just managed to avoid going headlong down into the cabin and sustained serious bruising and the bowman required, as obvious from the photo, stitching and will require further dental work to repair his damaged teeth.

A great shot of the swan dive off the bow but surely rather than shooting the bloodied bowman a rope or lifering would have been a more appropriate item for the photographer to be holding.

Incidentally the rush of water to the starboard of TT’s bow shows the force with which the boat was spun by the impact.

To be honest I too would have been tempted to “take the shot” but a pic of him in my boat having just rescued him would have been just as dramatic and far more humane.

The attached pic was Team Moscow on the start line just 3 minutes later (bow No 12 - look at the damage) – obviously hadn’t heard of Rule 44.1.b – they have now!

See ya on the water

SS

PS a fuller report on the event will follow if the Ed wants to publish it

/monthly_11_2010/post-7319-063155900%201288706024_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_6038a - On the Start LIne.jpg
    DSC_6038a - On the Start LIne.jpg
    761.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited by a moderator:

Soley

Super Anarchist
It only takes a second to take a shot. The guy didn't seem too bothered by the situation. Also being a media boat I am sure there were others in the boat who were about to give him a hand.

jrenedo

I took the shots, I was on the media boat, and we didnt have anything to do with the collision,. We picked him up, after giving him a lifebest ,as his own skipper refused to get him from the water.We called on vhf to the race comite and informed of the situation, and when a rescue rib came alongside the guy left our rib and was taken to hospital.

Jesús Renedo

Last edited by a moderator:

Sailor_Joe

Anarchist
Kinda crazy that the Russians didn't withdraw - what were they thinking? It looks like the stem area of their bow is severely damaged too but I guess they don't care if the rig comes down as its probably not their boat. Idiots!!!

Did anyone hail "Global Media!"?

I took the shots, I was on the media boat, and we didnt have anything to do with the collision,. We picked him up, after giving him a lifebest ,as his own skipper refused to get him from the water.We called on vhf to the race comite and informed of the situation, and when a rescue rib came alongside the guy left our rib and was taken to hospital.

Jesús Renedo

CFIT

...his own skipper refused to get him from the water...
Hard core! Is there big money involved in the China Cup? Isn't there some rule that says you have to finish with the same number of crew as you started with?

Not sure, but there may be a translation issue here, did the skipper say "fuck him, he fell off he can swim" or did he say "Is he safe? If so you keep him, I have other injuries onboard"

I know my skippers are just as likely to say "fuck him" - all bastards at the back of the boat:-0

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously - how did they not get a great big DSQ?

Did anyone hail "Global Media!"?

Jesús Renedo

faijai

south coast
I had a similar injury a few years ago when a kite pole took out my 2 front teeth just like that poor chap.

He looks ok in the picture 'cos he is in shock .

In 20 minutes he will be seeing double with pain, will be sucking mush through a straw for 3 weeks ( amusing to everyone else, and me actually) and will have some pretty expensive dental work for the next 3 years.

I was out sailing the next day however, dem drugs they give you are hard core!

I hope the Russians will cover his expenses.

dreadom

Super Anarchist
Geelong
A definite contender for an FDU award. Hope he has a good dentist and that his racing insurance?? can afford one? Otherwise I do hope the Russian crew chip in and help him pay for the expenses.

DEAD MONEY

Super Anarchist
I ain't a Dentist but I know implants are $3K each!

Russian's sailed Race and rest of day ??

By their actions the poor chap is in for a long, long chase to get them to pick up his Dental bill. Was there a formal Protest?? If so what were results??? I bet you $20 Bucks the Russians say they weren't at fault !!