Krazy Koutts

sunseeker

Super Anarchist
It's always the damn money with him. Anyone in SanFran that ever trusted him should have listened to his kiwi haters. Maybe Ernie has a point. Bermuda has to be about the cash cuz it ain't gonna be cheaper there. Is there 2nd blackheart gear on kiwi ebay?

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
No respect for GGYC - wonder what the mechanic thinks. Ouch.

For a few months rent and union wages? Must be more to the story.

SF feels a little lonelier now - back to being an outpost on the edge of the Pacific...

sam75

Boston, MA
Not to worry, according to a SF Chronicle article, Coutts said that 'the race organizers would be open to discussing hosting the 36th event in San Francisco - probably in 2021 or thereabouts.' Given his track record, I guess he has a good reason to be confident, but I think the challengers will have something to say about that.

phomchick

Super Anarchist
San Francisco
Not to worry, according to a SF Chronicle article, Coutts said that 'the race organizers would be open to discussing hosting the 36th event in San Francisco - probably in 2021 or thereabouts.' Given his track record, I guess he has a good reason to be confident, but I think the challengers will have something to say about that.
As I said, I now hope Oracle loses this time.

chris.luomanen

Payola aside, what this really means is that Oracle doesn't give a shit about regular folks spectating.

I there almost every day for the races (including the ones called for normal bay sailing conditions) there was an incredible sense that non-sailors were actually getting excited about sailing. And the sailors that were there were having conversations with non-sailors that the non-sailors were not merely tolerating.

Fucking when does that happen?

Its a huge loss for popularizing our dying pastime.

lazybone

Super Anarchist
I wonder if there are any regular folks or sailors in Chicago who would like to watch the AC?

Go Left

Super Anarchist
Seattle
It is pathetic and naive to partially blame "union wages" (actually "prevailing wages") on not bringing the AC back to SF.

Every US major city construction contractor pays prevailing wages for work in the downtown core, union or not...well maybe not in the hell holes of "freedom" south of the Mason-Dixon line. But certainly in the rest of the country and certainly in Chicago and San Diego, which are not cheap. low-wage cities*. It's the price for smooth running and competent construction.

And Bermuda? Construction costs are not going to be cheaper in Bermuda where everything gets shipped in and painted pink before it can be used. So hard costs have nothing to do with this. It's all about the Eurovision money, sponsors and the mega yachts who couldn't be bothered to come to SF.

I hope they pick Chicago - the "Windy City" (except when its not). I can hardly wait until a Chicago contractor (or politician) gets his teeth into the funny-talking boys in blazers playing with boats for an ugly trophy.

But I'm betting on Bermuda.

* Except, I imagine, for drywallers, framers and landscapers in SD. Not the primary trades, perhaps, for putting on the AC.

Last edited by a moderator:
Meh......I think I'm over it.

Take it to Bermuda and just sail the bloody thing on thundering J classes for all I care.

Jasus... Loius Vuitton might just come back for that.

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
Just so stupid.

Coutts still hasn't learned the very first lesson in negotiation, an absolutely vital skill you need to do ANYTHING in SF. Listen to what the other guys want, and make calculated and negotiated concessions in those areas, without giving up everything yourself.

I'm pissed.

PeterHuston

Super Anarchist
I wonder how fast Oracle will have to clear out of Pier 80 now, and where they will go. What's the cost of all that? Or do they get their rent jacked sky high, negating any "cost savings" elsewhere? Where is the 90's wing these days? Is it in Pier 80? What if they have to move that? To where, at what cost? And the '72's, where are they, and all those parts, including wings? Is Sayanora still there? Seems like it would have been much better to just keep saying "maybe".

K38BOB

Super Anarchist
Bay Area
I wonder how fast Oracle will have to clear out of Pier 80 now, and where they will go. What's the cost of all that? Or do they get their rent jacked sky high, negating any "cost savings" elsewhere? Where is the 90's wing these days? Is it in Pier 80? What if they have to move that? To where, at what cost? And the '72's, where are they, and all those parts, including wings? Is Sayanora still there? Seems like it would have been much better to just keep saying "maybe".
I would imagine they had a longterm lease. If not, despite claims of few venues with capacity of 4 bases, if you look beyond the city of SF, the bay area has plenty of room.

PeterHuston

Super Anarchist
I would imagine they had a longterm lease. If not, despite claims of few venues with capacity of 4 bases, if you look beyond the city of SF, the bay area has plenty of room.
I have no idea what the lease deal was, though it might actually be public information given the facility. Don't care enough to look. Would just seem to me that even if there is space available to store old boats, it is going to be a major expense to move everything again, if not twice.

I think Russell really messed up, big time. He misjudged the market in almost every respect last time, the land deal was a complete cock-up and he let Larry get trashed when the deal Barclay was trying to do was a lot different than presumed, it was just negotiated with exactly the wrong personalities from ACEA.

Now, a "fuck you we are getting divorced" email. He could have at least stayed with the times and tweeted it.

The irony of having a boat race in The Bermuda Triangle hasn't escaped me...

...and neither has the tactical significance of considering 2 destinations Emirates doesn't fly to (San Diego & Bermuda).

Is this just an underhanded tactical move to squeeze out the big dollar sponsorship of ETNZ?

San Fran was, without doubt, the most exciting venue north of the Equator, if not anywhere.

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
The irony of having a boat race in The Bermuda Triangle hasn't escaped me...

...and neither has the tactical significance of considering 2 destinations Emirates doesn't fly to (San Diego & Bermuda).

Is this just an underhanded tactical move to squeeze out the big dollar sponsorship of ETNZ?

San Fran was, without doubt, the most exciting venue north of the Equator, if not anywhere.
Oh...I love a good conspiracy theory. This one will definitely get some traction.