KWRW Predictions?

Car Ramrod

Anarchist
Vermont
The annual professional sailor all expenses paid vacation regatta. One of the J70 teams stacked with pros quoted 50 grand to do the event.

Props to the ORC fleet for keeping the spirit of the event alive.

Car Ramrod

Anarchist
Vermont
Every year, you've gotta get recruitment going

3O54AzL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Boy there are some smarmy fucks here. All that time I was shining a light on just how fucked up the management of KWRW was and you assholes bitched and moaned about those comments, all of which have come true as predicted. Maybe if more of you were honest with your pals at the yacht club, this event wouldn't be dead. Instead, you sit there and make snide comments about it and continue to watch your sport decay. Keep it up. Here's my front page take on this - make your pithy comments, and avoid any recognition that I personally called this one a decade ago, and that me and dozens of others far more respectable than me have tried to help them fix it and been completely ignored. Feel free to explain what you've done to fix it besides hating on me.

Clean Report

With 2017 marking the 30th anniversary of Quantum Key West Race Week, we expected something something of a boost to the once-great regatta - an event that had seen 12 straight years of declining overall and section fleets through last year. But when we looked at the results from opening day, we were actually quite stunned to find just 87 boats on the scorelines - the smallest overall KWRW fleet we can find recorded numbers for, and a whopping 40 boats off 2016 (a 30% slide)!

Now that all the big boats have thrown in the towel, the TP52s are actually the largest boats competing at the entire event, and of course they are the only grand prix racing left down South, and with the Melges, Marstrom, and even J/70 numbers off, that's a great thing for the hundred-plus pro sailors signed on to crew during one of the hottest TP52 seasons in a decade. But for the family sailor, the club racer, the aspiring one-design competitor, and most especially the international competitor, it sure does look like it's over, and the Storm Trysail Club is busily hammering away at the coffin nails so effectively placed in the 2000's by the previous organizer of the event. And considering their nearly non-existent marketing and promo of the event this past year, precisely zero people are surprised (did they spend all their marketing money on this 'commemorative anniversary program'???)

We will be conducting a postmortem of the victim in a special podcast next week, discussing the issue with pros, amateurs, and organizers to find out what happened, whether the event can even exist at 87 entries, and where are the alternatives. Got questions for them or your own ideas on just what happened? Say your piece here.

trimfast

Anarchist
Boy there are some smarmy fucks here. All that time I was shining a light on just how fucked up the management of KWRW was and you assholes bitched and moaned about those comments, all of which have come true as predicted. Maybe if more of you were honest with your pals at the yacht club, this event wouldn't be dead. Instead, you sit there and make snide comments about it and continue to watch your sport decay. Keep it up. Here's my front page take on this - make your pithy comments, and avoid any recognition that I personally called this one a decade ago, and that me and dozens of others far more respectable than me have tried to help them fix it and been completely ignored. Feel free to explain what you've done to fix it besides hating on me.

Clean Report

With 2017 marking the 30th anniversary of Quantum Key West Race Week, we expected something something of a boost to the once-great regatta - an event that had seen 12 straight years of declining overall and section fleets through last year. But when we looked at the results from opening day, we were actually quite stunned to find just 87 boats on the scorelines - the smallest overall KWRW fleet we can find recorded numbers for, and a whopping 40 boats off 2016 (a 30% slide)!

Now that all the big boats have thrown in the towel, the TP52s are actually the largest boats competing at the entire event, and of course they are the only grand prix racing left down South, and with the Melges, Marstrom, and even J/70 numbers off, that's a great thing for the hundred-plus pro sailors signed on to crew during one of the hottest TP52 seasons in a decade. But for the family sailor, the club racer, the aspiring one-design competitor, and most especially the international competitor, it sure does look like it's over, and the Storm Trysail Club is busily hammering away at the coffin nails so effectively placed in the 2000's by the previous organizer of the event. And considering their nearly non-existent marketing and promo of the event this past year, precisely zero people are surprised (did they spend all their marketing money on this 'commemorative anniversary program'???)

We will be conducting a postmortem of the victim in a special podcast next week, discussing the issue with pros, amateurs, and organizers to find out what happened, whether the event can even exist at 87 entries, and where are the alternatives. Got questions for them or your own ideas on just what happened? Say your piece here.
How much is it housing costs that are effecting the event? How much so is it that most people are having hard times getting off work these days. How much of it is still all the top boats rather focus on a J70 with a $50,000 pro budget as mentioned earlier than other classes which would raise costs further?

Rum Runner

Rum Runner
Illinois

Clean Report

How much is it housing costs that are effecting the event? How much so is it that most people are having hard times getting off work these days. How much of it is still all the top boats rather focus on a J70 with a $50,000 pro budget as mentioned earlier than other classes which would raise costs further?

It is probably all that and more. If I have a racing program of anything besides a TP52, why drive all the way down there when I can spend the same money and attend 2 or even 3 regattas closer to home? Shipping a larger boat has become way to expensive and Key West is not a cheap place to visit any more. I will be interested in seeing how Charleston does this year.

Latest posts