KWRW Predictions?

WHK

Super Anarchist
Newport, RI
Not sure I know the answer on that. I did speak to the owner a while back because I bought the 2005 J/109 he previously owned in 2013 and was wondering if the rig had ever been down or inspected. It hadn't so I now have the rig down and am getting all new rod terminations. Turns out the V1s and D1s need to be replaced because the bend by the top spreader will cause a problem with new terminations. The old terminations were peened to lock in place so had to be cut for inspection. The new terminations will use red Loctite so they can be heated with a torch and unscrewed for inspection.

This is not cheap - but much cheaper than what Orion is now faced with....

USA190520

Super Anarchist
Bah- I've been here for two weeks- it's sunny windy and warm-

Of course I'd rather be in the upper Midwest growling into a microphone in my moms basement and calling it journalism, but hey, ya can't have it all...

Swimsailor

Super Anarchist
WA
I wonder if it has to do with what is currently happening in amateur bike racing. You see a lot of Cat 3 and even Cat 4 racers putting in pro-like training hours, hiring coaches, etc. it's just getting harder and more expensive to compete even at the lower levels of the sport.

Look at the C&C 30. Cool boat. Relatively inexpensive but I see teams who dropped more on their coach boat than the actual sailboat. $50k to take a J/70 to a regatta? No thanks.

I raced on a friend's J/80 at Key West in 1999. It was a blast. We got our asses kicked but we never felt like we were out spent. We traveled from New Mexico to get a taste of big time racing. I paid for my airfare. My buddy picked up the rest of the tab.

I just don't think mom and pop types can even consider it anymore.

WHK

Super Anarchist
Newport, RI
I enjoy racing with the big boys too but am not about to drop a load of cash to hire a crew. We sail with the same crew from Tuesday night beer can racing as we do on the OD and bigger races and consistently increasing our skills over time. Fortunately in Newport where I live there is plenty of good competition. I like sailing in the warm weather too, but won't spend the $ to move my boat there. Last year we did a J/World course in St. Pete on J/70s that included racing in the midwinters. We raced "musical chairs" rotating crew every race so everyone got experience. We were defintely at the tail end of the flleet but the learning experience and fun factor was great.

sunseeker

Super Anarchist
I enjoy racing with the big boys too but am not about to drop a load of cash to hire a crew. We sail with the same crew from Tuesday night beer can racing as we do on the OD and bigger races and consistently increasing our skills over time. Fortunately in Newport where I live there is plenty of good competition. I like sailing in the warm weather too, but won't spend the $ to move my boat there. Last year we did a J/World course in St. Pete on J/70s that included racing in the midwinters. We raced "musical chairs" rotating crew every race so everyone got experience. We were defintely at the tail end of the flleet but the learning experience and fun factor was great.
That's a great story. Something people ought to do more of.

bshores

Houston, TX
J/122 Orion is out. Broke their rig in race 3. Bummer for those guys :(
Broken V1? This is the third Chesapeake Bay J122 to suffer a rig failure since the 2015 Annapolis to Newport race. Is there a known weakness in the rigs in this class?
I was on the other 122, Second Star. We checked our rig after this happened and didn't see any signs of wearing on the D1s. Also want to point out that a crewmember of ours was on one of the Chesapeake boats in the ANP-NPT race that broke their rig. We were very mindful of changing our rig settings as the pressure dropped off as the week continued. The D1s were also replaced before the boat left Texas, seems there is a shelf life.

On another note, the conditions were epic this year despite the decline in entries, and the ORC class remained very competitive. We won the regatta in the last race by 2 seconds corrected over the 2 X ORC world champion boat from Italy. Cool Breeze also corrected out to 2 seconds in front of us in that race. The new venue at the Waterfront Brewery was also a success and much closer to the docks. I have to admit I still miss the wrist bands for getting drinks rather than shelling out $$ for tickets every night. Hope to see the event bounce back in the future.

march

I have to admit I still miss the wrist bands for getting drinks rather than shelling out $$ for tickets every night. Hope to see the event bounce back in the future.
They were $3 a rum drink you cheap bastard
Yeah but they're free back at the crew house /s
+1, or most people ended up drinking at the huge bar downstairs at the brewery anyways
The Brewery was an awesome place to base the regatta. Cheap drinks, a water view and bars everywhere.