LABOR GOVERNMENT SINKS KIDS SAILING

hugob

Fellow Anarchists,

I beleive the actions of NSW government is the thin edge of the wedge. Raising rents on community leased sailing clubs could impact sailing and development of the sport on our harbour forever.

This discussion has come up before however manly 16 skiff club need our support. Check out the manly skiff club web site.

manly skiff club

After 7 years of rental negotiations and discussions between the Manly 16ft Skiff Sailing Club and NSW Maritime (formerly the Waterways Authority) talks have once again stalled, bringing the future of the Skiff Club into doubt.

The Manly 16ft Skiff Sailing Club has operated on the site since 1928, as a “not for profit” community focused club, dedicated to its grass roots and loyal to the sport of sailing on Sydney's Northern Beaches.

STOP IEMMAS GREEDY GOVERNMENT

In a grab for cash, the NSW government are standing firm on a commercial lease and a proposed rental fee of 5% of the clubs gross revenue – and plan to roll this rental increase out amongst other over-water clubs and premises in the coming years.

This rental increase would raise the clubs current rent from approximately $35,000 per year to $200,000 per year and financially cripple the community based sailing club, which through its sailing programs has taught numerous youngsters how to sail, fostered many Australian Sailing Champions and provides a base for sailing on the Northern Beaches.

In 2005/06 the Manly Skiff Sailing Club made $450,000 profit before community expenses and in the ensuing Sailing Season, the club spent more than $350,000 on Sailing Related Activities - leaving little in the bank for other expenses. A major hike in rent of $165,000 per annum would lead to the club being forced to cut services and facilities to its 5000 members and sailing programs.

WHAT WE PROPOSE

Throughout discussions with NSW Maritime, the Manly 16ft Skiff Sailing Club has maintained that a “Community Use Lease” rather than a “Commercial Lease” is more appropriate and proposed on many occasions a “fair and reasonable” rent of 1% of gross income per annum which we can afford to ensure our future and the future of sailing training and support programs, however this has been rejected by the waterways authority.

SAVE OUR SKIFF CLUB NOW

us7070

Super Anarchist
$165000/year increase, 5000 members = an increase of $33/member/year.

That doesn't sound like a big problem.

You don't want to know how much my dues went up this year, or what my assessment was.

looks like an awesome club though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teaky

Super Anarchist
Sydney
And apparently I now own GBP 1.00 liability with RORC. Those guys at St James's had better be looking after my one pound.

BeerDidClam

Super Anarchist
looks like the Labour Gov isnt the only thing sinking kids sailing

skiffWipe.JPG

photo from Manly skiff club

sucky bus

Super Anarchist
Fellow Anarchists,
I beleive the actions of NSW government is the thin edge of the wedge. Raising rents on community leased sailing clubs could impact sailing and development of the sport on our harbour forever.

This discussion has come up before however manly 16 skiff club need our support. Check out the manly skiff club web site.

manly skiff club

After 7 years of rental negotiations and discussions between the Manly 16ft Skiff Sailing Club and NSW Maritime (formerly the Waterways Authority) talks have once again stalled, bringing the future of the Skiff Club into doubt.

The Manly 16ft Skiff Sailing Club has operated on the site since 1928, as a “not for profit” community focused club, dedicated to its grass roots and loyal to the sport of sailing on Sydney's Northern Beaches.

STOP IEMMAS GREEDY GOVERNMENT

In a grab for cash, the NSW government are standing firm on a commercial lease and a proposed rental fee of 5% of the clubs gross revenue – and plan to roll this rental increase out amongst other over-water clubs and premises in the coming years.

This rental increase would raise the clubs current rent from approximately $35,000 per year to $200,000 per year and financially cripple the community based sailing club, which through its sailing programs has taught numerous youngsters how to sail, fostered many Australian Sailing Champions and provides a base for sailing on the Northern Beaches.

In 2005/06 the Manly Skiff Sailing Club made $450,000 profit before community expenses and in the ensuing Sailing Season, the club spent more than $350,000 on Sailing Related Activities - leaving little in the bank for other expenses. A major hike in rent of $165,000 per annum would lead to the club being forced to cut services and facilities to its 5000 members and sailing programs.

WHAT WE PROPOSE

Throughout discussions with NSW Maritime, the Manly 16ft Skiff Sailing Club has maintained that a “Community Use Lease” rather than a “Commercial Lease” is more appropriate and proposed on many occasions a “fair and reasonable” rent of 1% of gross income per annum which we can afford to ensure our future and the future of sailing training and support programs, however this has been rejected by the waterways authority.

SAVE OUR SKIFF CLUB NOW

WOT a great post for PA - Political Anarachy

:p

hugob

WOT a great post for PA - Political Anarachy :p
Your right mate it is political.

I hope these political idiots dont' ruin a great club with the stroke of a pen.

I just want my kids to have a club to explore the same opportunities I had.

Manly 16's go off. Whats next the Sydney flying squadron?

richiec

Super Anarchist
Sydney
As much as I dislike the guy most of the time, this would be a superb issue to throw over to Stan Zemanek, (Sydney radio shock jock/talkback man - for those who don't know). He is an old skiffy and I think still messes around in boats (Nokia or one of the Volvo 60's was a recent steed?) I reckon he'd get behind this issue, and he's not afraid to go smack down, off the top turnbuckle on the Labour government. Worth a call to his office I reckon.

meanmachine

Super Anarchist
this is a big issue for all the harbour clubs - not just manly skiffies. this whole thing is not really new - started at least 3 years ago. nsw maritime are aka the nsw tax dept

mhyc was faced with a similar situation a while ago but was reasonably successful to negotiate a better outcome. the problem (i seem to recall) is how much of the clubs activities can be seen as 'commercial' ie rent form tenants / bar takings

i hv a vague feeling that this might have also had something to do with the demise of mosman rowers, but could be wrong...

good luck to skiffies - suggest that the PIC speaks to mhyc for some advice on how we handled it (if not already doing so)

cheers,

syd3623

I am NOT an apologist for the Iemma NSW government but can we have a reality check. Manly Skiff club makes what % of its revenue from selling grog and food from a superb harbourside location to the vast majority of members who can't or don't sail there or maybe anywhere else. Its a social club for the majority of locally resident members unconnected to the sport of sailing - if it were a tenant on (eg) Manly Wharf how much rent would it pay ?

The NSW govt is taking exactly the same approach with MHYC and also Long Reef golf club which is on crown land. 5% of COMMERCIAL income is bloody cheap rent.

sucky bus

Super Anarchist
Don't have the pleasure of knowing it..

Q's from the informed..

Does it race boats?

Does it encourage the sport of sailing?

Does it do juniors?

Does it provide a service to the community?

Does it foster a sense of community inclusiveness

I would suggest it does!!!

So get fucked you filthy blood sucking community hating, union dominated, small business hating, backward, visionless and pissweak labour govt. go and administer the local fucking council you bunch of cunts...

Hope that is a constuctive comment, and if not clear enough for the local pollies to understand, I can clarify... with some language which is more direct...

As

:ph34r: :ph34r:

Bill E Goat

Super Anarchist
Sydney
I am NOT an apologist for the Iemma NSW government but can we have a reality check. Manly Skiff club makes what % of its revenue from selling grog and food from a superb harbourside location to the vast majority of members who can't or don't sail there or maybe anywhere else. Its a social club for the majority of locally resident members unconnected to the sport of sailing - if it were a tenant on (eg) Manly Wharf how much rent would it pay ?
The NSW govt is taking exactly the same approach with MHYC and also Long Reef golf club which is on crown land. 5% of COMMERCIAL income is bloody cheap rent.
How much profit does the tenant on Manly Wharf put in his pocket !!! Where do the profits from Manly or any other sporting club go. Back into the sailing not into some blokes bank account.

The sailing clubs are leased for use by the members as are the golf clubs and if they close down they get returned as parkland. This fucking incompetent government look at any way to sell off shit like this to fucking developers so they can cover up their inept ability to run the state. Look at how they are blowing the cocks of big clubs to get more money.

They are a pack of lying thieving cunts

Mid

Blues Rule
Don't have the pleasure of knowing it..
Q's from the informed..

Does it race boats?

Does it encourage the sport of sailing?

Does it do juniors?

Does it provide a service to the community?

Does it foster a sense of community inclusiveness

I would suggest it does!!!

So get fucked you filthy blood sucking community hating, union dominated, small business hating, backward, visionless and pissweak labour govt. go and administer the local fucking council you bunch of cunts...

Hope that is a constuctive comment, and if not clear enough for the local pollies to understand, I can clarify... with some language which is more direct...

As

:ph34r: :ph34r:
Word

your in top form today mate ,

tell us what you really think :lol:

JimC

Not actually an anarchist.
South East England
increase of $33/member/year. That doesn't sound like a big problem.
Sailing in AUS and especially ths skiff clubs is a very different demographic to the USA. Historically the skiffs are working men's boats, not the affluent middle class that races yachts in the USA.