Lake Ontario Anarchy

The LORC web site is dead.

I kow there are enough Anarchists out there.

Lake Erie has their thread, what about us.

No I won't show my tits

No I won't show my wife's titis/

The obligitory SA welcome is expected.

Barkley

Super Anarchist
C eh N eh D eh.
Winnie the Pooh said:
do you mean dead as in no one goes there?
More LO posts here in a month than in the LORC website in a year. Website still has some value, but the forums are shot.

EDIT - looks like someone deleted his post.

Last edited by a moderator:

mikecz

Yeah I did since it didn't add much, the post I linked to about "death of LORC" in their forums was from 2006! That itself shows you something.

Racing is actually very much alive on the Lake.

LORC is moving to an administrative/scheduling function which is where it should be.

RCYC seems to have opted out of LORC, but since getting rid of the NOOD has actually been putting some effort into the regatta scene (RCYC is still brutal in offshore)

LYRA at RCYC is being well promoted

The LOSHRS singlehanded/doublehanded fleet is the biggest on the Lake and growing every year

The Lake Ontario 300 continues to grow and with BlackBerry as a sponsor will go to the next level. The Great lakes Singlehanded Society has partnered with the LO 300 to offer long distance solo sailing on Lake Ontario

Even the 8 Metres seem to be totally jammed

Lasers are filling Toronto harbour

A soon as we get all those cruiser/racers off their docks, things will really get interesting

o30_oldschool

o30_Oldschool
How big of a hoist does RCYC have on the City side? I am thinking about trailering the Olson (3800 pounds with gear) down for LYRA.

Oh, and don't forget there is more to the Lake than GTA. We are looking forward to a good regatta for EYC (Eastern Yacht Circuit (or Conference depending on who you talk to ) at Henderson Harbour in July. CORK Offshore will be fun as well, with the Olsons competing for the inaugural North Americans, and the new sportboat division. KYC is restarting a double handed race in June (singlehanded Shark). Shorthanded racing has definitely been lacking out here in the East.

Also the Beneateau 36.7s are pulling solid numbers all over the place. Racing at Levels was great last year (aside from having our wind unit forcibly removed by a competitor's mast)

CAN217

Anarchist
How big of a hoist does RCYC have on the City side? I am thinking about trailering the Olson (3800 pounds with gear) down for LYRA.
Oh, and don't forget there is more to the Lake than GTA. We are looking forward to a good regatta for EYC (Eastern Yacht Circuit (or Conference depending on who you talk to ) at Henderson Harbour in July. CORK Offshore will be fun as well, with the Olsons competing for the inaugural North Americans, and the new sportboat division. KYC is restarting a double handed race in June (singlehanded Shark). Shorthanded racing has definitely been lacking out here in the East.
i don't think the rcyc hoist will accomodate an O30. be nice to the National YC guys, their crane will.

LORC site is up. Forum, too, although it sees very little action.
Chris Steer and Thisbe are also active on SA. There was a thread here while they were working on the GTASR&PU (RCYC replacement for the NOOD).

I am looking forward to EYC! Missed the cottage at Henderson though, too bad.

Cheers,
My non-sailing wife wants to come to EYC for the American beer so we took a trip over last weekend and booked some rooms at one of the Inns. Pretty quiet at the club there.

Skipper

Toronto
The crane at ABYC can handle the Olson as well.

CAN217 cant you lift the Laser at RCYC? It is about teh same weight as the Olson.

Impact

Canuck
The crane at ABYC can handle the Olson as well.
CAN217 cant you lift the Laser at RCYC? It is about teh same weight as the Olson.
never tried. more concerned abt height of cabins and clearance than weight
I have a Laser 28 at RCYC named Impact

Love to see you here for the regatta. The RCYC city station crane would be a very tight squeeze for you. I have launched at Outer Harbour Marina by travel lift or you can try National Yacht Club or Ashbridges Bay Yacht Club to the east.

o30_oldschool

o30_Oldschool
How much clearance would there be under the hoist? I have a low trailer, but....

I would prefer the easy jump off the DVP to RCYC than getting into National.

Has RCYC recovered from when my bro Craig was the dockmaster???

Lake Ontario Anarchy - I'm in, I am from the south shore, Rochester, and it would appear that THE epicenter for alot of the LORC, LYRA and PHRF is focused on the west end of the lake. Granted there are alot of people with boats in the west end/ Metro Toronto area , but with all of the focus on the west end of the lake it seems as we are seeing less of a united sailing front and too many conflicting events as each club tries to get the regattas more boats and bring back those large and special regatta days..

If any group can unite LO sailors and bring people that have tacked away from the racing back. the days of Levels with over 450 boats, LYRA events with 100 boats are gone, oh yea and PHRF handicaps based on facts and data instead of political bullshit, can it happen?

Lake Ontario Anarchy - I'm in, I am from the south shore, Rochester, and it would appear that THE epicenter for alot of the LORC, LYRA and PHRF is focused on the west end of the lake. Granted there are alot of people with boats in the west end/ Metro Toronto area , but with all of the focus on the west end of the lake it seems as we are seeing less of a united sailing front and too many conflicting events as each club tries to get the regattas more boats and bring back those large and special regatta days..
If any group can unite LO sailors and bring people that have tacked away from the racing back. the days of Levels with over 450 boats, LYRA events with 100 boats are gone, oh yea and PHRF handicaps based on facts and data instead of political bullshit, can it happen?

When are you going to drop by and bring us beer?????????? Did you have fun on the comittee boat the other night with Mr. Wonderful???????

236 - Its Friday isn't it... Damn... cooler is full on the boat tho.

Mr. W was helpful, was early and helped set up, gave good input for our pre race duties ("don't even set a course, its just going to die anyways"), always a welcome RC crewmember ;) . I;m going to stop by to check out his star and how his mast is stepped to give me a little more idea of what I'm dealing with.

Lets get out and fine tune our attitudes.....

Chris Steer

Sailing Anarchy is a good spot for sailors to hold forth on whatever is bugging them or causing them deep and lasting satisfaction but it is still a bloody shame that the LORC website has become so neglected.

LORC stands for Lake Ontario Racing Council and it still is the only organizing body for Yacht Racing in the Greater Toronto Area which sort of stretches about twenty miles either side of that amiable city. It's Forum was as near as we had to a Parliament wherein local sailors could air their beefs, bright or not so bright ideas and very, very occasionaly say something nice about the people who organized the sport for them.

I had the honour of Chairing LORC for about three years and in conjunction with a really great bunch of people who represented the Member Clubs on the LORC Board made quite a few changes in the way LORC worked. Principal change was to hand the running of the on-the-water part of the regattas to the clubs and turning LORC into a body that set up the season's schedule, made up the NORs and Sailing Instructions, sent it all out to an eagerly awaiting mob of winter-crazed sailors with a single Registration Form on which all the races you might want to enter in the season could be entered and paid for.Then we sent 90% of the money to the clubs with which to run their regattas.Up to that point, the clubs hadn't had to do a thing. Anything wrong wih that concept?

Well, if there was we had the Forum for folks to talk about it and they did. Most of the chat was good and constructive-generally sailors are like that-but there were those who's totally negative and mindless take on what we on the Board of LORC were trying to fashion for our local clubs and their members that I was often tempted by the thought that my job might better be handled by a Proctologist. Go over to www.lorc.org and read such items as The Death Of LORC-you'll get the idea.

But while you're still with SA,go look at the post on How To Kill Your Yacht Club. What it has to say is a familiar theme and in context.

I am tempted-but will resist the temptation-to speculate as to the identity of those who then subjected the LORC Forum to a blizzard of meaningless posts under obvious aliases that made it difficult/pointless to try to get any real discussion going-ie the sort of thing that the LORC and the SA Forums are designed for. That's what really drove people away from the LORC Forum- no fault in itself but the action of one or more useless bastards.Anybody know a good way to track such posts to their source? I was told at the time that we couldn't which was a pity.

Irishmember, I sail a boat called Maggie Kelly which may tell you and others what my principals are. Chief among them is that I don't like being buggered by bastards ( or anybody else for that matter) so this post on this Forum sounds the charge to revive the LORC Forum so that we have a place to talk about our local issues .We can still have our say on the SA Forum when we seek a wider audience and broader input but if we really are Canadian-remember the Rant!-we should not be letting our own Forum be taken from us. Especially when we can't get on the Gardiner or drive down University Avenue! Enough already!!!