couchsurfer

Super Anarchist
NA westcoast
...good t'see that the AC stuff isn't cramping his style :blink:

...I guess someone suggested it's good to divest into real-estate :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:

Bruno

Super Anarchist
Manele Bay is a pretty small harbor without obvious expansion potential given the fragile reef there. Maybe a harbor can be created on the south side. It is the best place to sail here given the options of windy, calmer, wavy, and flat water -ish right there. Also that 4 island group has the most cruising potential. But the infrastructure is limmited, as is the water supply, the landscape is fragile, and everythng has to be shipped to Honolulu then barged to Lanai or flown into a small airport without direct flights to the mainland. Having said all that it is potentially a great place to train for SF bay sailing with generally steady strong trades and warm water. Murdock was planning on turning much of the island into a wind farm with undersea cables to elsewhere, but that model seems like it is going nowhere. Theynhave built a bunch of fancy houses for visitors, there is more development potential, but ag wise kinda limited, pineapple has been tough on the soil and water table and can be grown cheaper elsewhere. Interesting. Beautiful place, quiet.

Somebody Else

a person of little consequence
PNW
Bruno, you maybe forgot how much money Ellison has.

Yes, Manele Bay is too small to create a world-class marina. It would need to be expanded greatly via the addition of a large breakwater or a completely new harbor would need to be built from scratch. Nothing that an unlimited supply of high explosives can't solve.

The only obstacle I see is environmental/legal.

Frank White

Is it just me, but doesn't it seem like Ellison is turning into a Dr. Evil type Bond villain more and more everyday? I mean now he has the private island. He already has the cool mega-yacht with all the exotic toys and secret rooms. And doesn't he sponsor some kind of anti-aging research institute?

couchsurfer

Super Anarchist
NA westcoast
Is it just me, but doesn't it seem like Ellison is turning into a Dr. Evil type Bond villain more and more everyday? I mean now he has the private island. He already has the cool mega-yacht with all the exotic toys and secret rooms. And doesn't he sponsor some kind of anti-aging research institute?
...seems inevitable,,no? :unsure:

Somebody Else

a person of little consequence
PNW
Is it just me, but doesn't it seem like Ellison is turning into a Dr. Evil type Bond villain more and more everyday?
"turning into"? I thought it was a done deal 15 years ago.

And doesn't he sponsor some kind of anti-aging research institute?
I don't get this at all.

Living things age.

Deal with it.

Pete M

Super Anarchist
So Cal
Is it just me, but doesn't it seem like Ellison is turning into a Dr. Evil type Bond villain more and more everyday? I mean now he has the private island. He already has the cool mega-yacht with all the exotic toys and secret rooms.
and the island is a volcano!

Test2

Super Anarchist
I hear there's a Hotel at Manele bay now. When I lived on Oahu, my friends and I would sail to Lanai where we would gorge on lobster, snorkel brilliant reefs, and swim with the dolphins. I guess those times are past. It seems more and more the Islands are a vanishing paradise.

couchsurfer

Super Anarchist
NA westcoast
Is it just me, but doesn't it seem like Ellison is turning into a Dr. Evil type Bond villain more and more everyday? I mean now he has the private island. He already has the cool mega-yacht with all the exotic toys and secret rooms.
and the island is a volcano!
ahhh,,childhood fantasies! :)

/monthly_06_2012/post-3217-012520700%201340298190_thumb.jpg/monthly_06_2012/post-3217-052845200%201340298226_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• Bond volcanoe.jpg
    Bond volcanoe.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Bond Volcano1.JPG
    Bond Volcano1.JPG
    267.4 KB · Views: 4