Larry's AC50 Circus

Dave Clark

Anarchist
Rhode Island
Well, it's all a big wank. So utterly fabricated and contrived and they expect people to get emotionally engaged? Millennial's will see straight through this. I used to be an F1 fan, but stopped watching years ago - it just doesn't do it for me anymore - cars running around burning fossil fuels for fun just feels wrong.
Millenial here. This thing is fun to watch. Have seen every minute and will continue to do so.

That said, setting the precedent of a $1M winners purse is a near impossible comittement to hold repeatedly. That figure will go down.

DRC

NeedAClew

Super Anarchist
USA
That said, setting the precedent of a $1M winners purse is a near impossible comittement to hold repeatedly. That figure will go down.

DRC
I'm not sure about that. The $1m gets mentioned a lot in press stories and may be a way to excite viewers.  So long as LE is funding, the $1m year is not huge compared to the boat development, $30m team operating budgets, venue costs, etc. Those are big. For someone like LE, so long as he engaged with $ailGP I think they can do the prize.

JALhazmat

Super Anarchist
Southampton
Well, it's all a big wank. So utterly fabricated and contrived and they expect people to get emotionally engaged? Millennial's will see straight through this. I used to be an F1 fan, but stopped watching years ago - it just doesn't do it for me anymore - cars running around burning fossil fuels for fun just feels wrong.
Yeah cars running around with a thermal efficiency rate 4 times higher than a regular vehicle engine, yeah that kinda progress sucks. (They extract nearly four times the energy from a given quantity of fuel than  a road car) add in the regenerative braking, heat recovery into stored energy. yeah that all sounds crap. 

Better to be building big boats out of plastic and carbon and shipping them around the world for a silver pot. 

If you think the premise of F1 feels wrong buy the same notion so should the AC and it’s ascociated circus 

Horn Rock

Super Anarchist
Byron Bay
yeah that all sounds crap. 
Because it is - a load of fucking crap. I couldn't give two fucks about the efficiency of F1 engines. We all should have been driving electric cars years ago. You can blame big oil and their determination to keep us addicted to fossil fuels and ICE. (not the drug)

Edit: Furthermore US car makers - prompted by big oil, are getting fuel efficiency regs scaled back, because they want us to consume more oil. They don't like cars being too fuel efficient - evil fucks..!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

JALhazmat

Super Anarchist
Southampton
Because it is - a load of fucking crap. I couldn't give two fucks about the efficiency of F1 engines. We all should have been driving electric cars years ago. You can blame big oil and their determination to keep us addicted to fossil fuels and ICE. (not the drug)

Edit: Furthermore US car makers - prompted by big oil, are getting fuel efficiency regs scaled back, because they want us to consume more oil. They don't like cars being too fuel efficient - evil fucks..!!!
So you dont give a fuck that they hybrid engine tech has a road car application

so tell us you bloody genius what is used to build these wonderful EVs that you speak of? Material ripped out of the ground or fairy wings? What’s the useful life of a fuel cell and how to dispose of used lithium fuel cells.

and lastly you bloody genius what powers the non existent infrastructure require to run the cars “we should have been driving years ago” 

so maybe just maybe there is benefit to hybrid tech for your average driver, useing less fuel, reducing emissions or do we all head out and buy a Tesla and plug in into the massive solar array we have at home. 

Horn Rock

Super Anarchist
Byron Bay
what powers the non existent infrastructure require to run the cars “we should have been driving years ago” 
Here in Aus - a continent bathed in sunshine, the potential for renewable energy has nowhere near reached its limit. Instead we have a right wing Govt trying to shove coal down our throats.

If you don't think big oil actively tries to keep us addicted to fossil fuel, then you're fucking naive. 

JALhazmat

Super Anarchist
Southampton
Oh cool, so you already have a viable charging network established and ready for everyone to rush out and buy EVs? 

Or it’s simply not viable in terms of economic spend for joe public to make the switch? 

Horn Rock

Super Anarchist
Byron Bay
Oh cool, so you already have a viable charging network established and ready for everyone to rush out and buy EVs?
Okay lets just not do it and carry on like we are? It's not like we've ever had to start from scratch to build infrastructure have we? Anyway this a sailing forum, go peddle your pro oil, pro fracking, pro Ineos bullshit somewhere else. 

JALhazmat

Super Anarchist
Southampton
Pro oil? Hmm pro realism 

pro fracking? Not especially, but it isnt illegal is it?

pro ineos? The company or the team? Yes the team, friends sail for them so I support them, pro the company? Pretty ambivalent but I dont have issues with them being successful 

its funny you being an ozzy, you should be all over the F50 series, it’s the closest to haveing a team to support this side of the AC. 

Horn Rock

Super Anarchist
Byron Bay
its funny you being an ozzy, you should be all over the F50 series, it’s the closest to haveing a team to support this side of the AC
I'm a Kiwi, I just live in Oz. I'll watch the F50's, I'm just not buying into the hype coming from Wussell or Slingers.

pro fracking? Not especially, but it isnt illegal is it?
It should be illegal. I got into a bit of anti fracking activism a few years ago when they wanted to frack some prime agricultural land around here. (The Bentley Blockade) We made the news world wide, and we stopped it going ahead - felt good to do my little bit.

Tornado-Cat

Super Anarchist
F50's.

The AC does not have any competition. It's a unique event with 100+ years of history. Larry's circus is a thought bubble in comparison. I heard they want to expand it to 10 teams? What's that, 80 containers? The logistics just get more ridiculous. Anyway, we're going to have to twiddle our thumbs in here for the next 3 months till the next race. Lets hope the crews haven't forgotten what they learnt in Sydney. 
Correct for F50.

The question was to know which boat would be top notch in 5 years.

Fireball

Anarchist
I can’t believe I’m the one defending the odious lazza but cleans tenuous grasp of the truth would have you forget that lazza funded Oracle Team USA from 2003 thru 2017...
Plus the SailGP regattas Larry is funding in 2019 are similar to the old ACWS which he has been funding since 2012. They also include ex-Oracle AC sailors such as Tom Slingsby, Kyle Langford and Rome Kirby.

pusslicker

Super Anarchist
Paris
So you dont give a fuck that they hybrid engine tech has a road car application

so tell us you bloody genius what is used to build these wonderful EVs that you speak of? Material ripped out of the ground or fairy wings? What’s the useful life of a fuel cell and how to dispose of used lithium fuel cells.

and lastly you bloody genius what powers the non existent infrastructure require to run the cars “we should have been driving years ago” 

so maybe just maybe there is benefit to hybrid tech for your average driver, useing less fuel, reducing emissions or do we all head out and buy a Tesla and plug in into the massive solar array we have at home. 
I don't give a fuck where they get the shit or take it as long as it is far from where I live. I am just tired of breathing exhaust when I walk around my city or go cycling and EV would solve that problem. You don't think the materials in those F1 engines get ripped out of the same ground and brought to you on the same fairy wings? At least the electricity whether its from coal or natural gas can be generated outside of the city where I live and I don't have to breath it. 

Horn Rock

Super Anarchist
Byron Bay
The question was to know which boat would be top notch in 5 years.
5 years? Who's to say the F50 will still be around in 5 years? Reasonable chance they won't be. The ultimate fate of Larry's cat fleet is an interesting one, as they don't really have a secondary role. That aside, there's a strong chance the F50 will never line up against an AC75 as no one owns both.

NeedAClew

Super Anarchist
USA
There will be different fastest foiling cats by 2024. There will be a different fastest foiling monohull in 2024. Even if ETNZ or Prada win, the 37th AC boat will not be the same as the current AC75.  

I do wonder what will happen to the current 2018/19 F50s.  

barfy

Super Anarchist
Luckily there isn't a sailgp event in Auckland..but who knows? Wussel may be keen to bring his circus back home to show it off.

Then we may see a line up

Horn Rock

Super Anarchist
Byron Bay
Wussel may be keen to bring his circus back home to show it off.
One F50 might make it back to NZ for development purposes, but I reckon there's buckley's chance the fleet will make it back. You don't ship 40 containers around for the fun of it. There might be other scenarios somewhere else where the two might bump into each other - New York or the UK perhaps? I still think it's a long shot.