Larry's AC50 Circus

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
In your previous post you were talking of "AC team", in the next one of "still operational going again teams" and your conclusion is that :"so the majority of 3 is 2. so my maths is spot on".

However,  even by modifying your definitions to make you right, you are wrong, because with your new definitions 100% of the AC teams are IN.  :)
But they're not. Artemis Racing is still operational,as they are still racing on the RC44 Circuit as the Artemis Racing Team, they even have a Youth team, yet they have not in any way committed to an AC campaign. BAR and ETNZ (Obviously) have, so that makes 2 from 3, so again, my maths is spot on.

Last edited by a moderator:

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
So what's your 'theory' - that all the designers, engineers and software developers that worked on those teams vanished in a puff of lavender smoke?

LOL
My theory is, this AC50 series is, as Americans like to say... "A nothing burger" however this talk of an AC50 series will continue until the AC75's are launched when at such time, the world, as it always has, will have moved on to the new Americas Cup Class boats which will capture the attention of the sailing community. The quiet period in between cups always brings a tendency for people who enjoyed the previous Cup to want to see it continue. During the V5 period, everyone wanted the racing to continue after the Cup had finished, during the AC72 period, people wanted it even more because they were cool boats, now the AC world has gone quiet, and people want to see the AC50's again. It happens all the time, the AC goes quiet so minds start wandering, "what if this happens", and "I want this to happen", but once the cycle starts, boats are launched and teams start building up, that talk stops and the attention goes back to the Americas Cup. I don't blame you guys, the AC50's were very cool boats, but they have had their time. They belong in Americas Cup history, and thats where they should stay, unless a Team who wins the Americas Cup decides to bring them back.

Tornado-Cat

Super Anarchist
But they're not. Artemis Racing is still operational,as they are still racing on the RC44 Circuit as the Artemis Racing Team, they even have a Youth team, yet they have not in any way committed to an AC campaign. BAR and ETNZ (Obviously) have, so that makes 2 from 3, so again, my maths is spot on.
Another swing, another miss, you did say that Artemis was not in but on the fence, so the other ones represent 100%, I am just trying to find some logic to your posts :)

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
Another swing, another miss, you did say that Artemis was not in but on the fence, so the other ones represent 100%, I am just trying to find some logic to your posts :)
No I said "2 of 3 were committed (ETNZ and BAR) and one was on the Fence (Artemis Racing)" so the majority of 3 is 2. The other guy said 2 of 3 is 100% and I have no idea how he worked that out.

Monkey

Super Anarchist
My theory is, this AC50 series is, as Americans like to say... "A nothing burger" however this talk of an AC50 series will continue until the AC75's are launched when at such time, the world, as it always has, will have moved on to the new Americas Cup Class boats which will capture the attention of the sailing community. The quiet period in between cups always brings a tendency for people who enjoyed the previous Cup to want to see it continue. During the V5 period, everyone wanted the racing to continue after the Cup had finished, during the AC72 period, people wanted it even more because they were cool boats, now the AC world has gone quiet, and people want to see the AC50's again. It happens all the time, the AC goes quiet so minds start wandering, "what if this happens", and "I want this to happen", but once the cycle starts, boats are launched and teams start building up, that talk stops and the attention goes back to the Americas Cup. I don't blame you guys, the AC50's were very cool boats, but they have had their time. They belong in Americas Cup history, and thats where they should stay, unless a Team who wins the Americas Cup decides to bring them back.
The good news about your theory is that you’re an idiot. I’ll just leave it at that because nothing else really needs to be said. 

Offshore 1

Can't help it if the truth hurts. Anyway, You know what they say about people in glass houses.
Clarkey, trust me on this. Someone inside Core told me they were working on these boats. His response wasn't prompted, I just asked what they were working on at the moment and he dropped that clanger. I was as surprised as anyone. Having mentioned this to a few others I got the impression that quite a few people already knew about this,hence the reason I started this thread. Do I think it will survive? That's a whole other story

Fireball

Anarchist
As to whether this series will happen - there's far too much smoke for there not to be a fire. There are reports from professional sailors and from boat builders - some of them quite detailed.

A public annoucement as to whether it will or will not happen can't be too far away.

But not announcing it already is - IMHO - respectful to the America's Cup. The entry period for AC36 is from 1 January 2018 to 30 June 2018, so almost 4 of the 6 month period has passed.

Making an early annoucement would raise the accusation that the series is trying to directly compete with the America's Cup, whereas delaying it allows the AC to get as many entries as they can manage and stops any media battles between the 2 competitions.

A Class Sailor

Anarchist
On the water
"There are reports' are there? Where?
On this forum, for one. Offshore1 reports that Core are working on the boats. Just because it isn't published by a journalist or there is no press release doesn't mean that it isn't a "report". In this day of social media, forums like this is how a lot of stuff is reported. SA has always had well connected people post "reports" that are later furtyher substantiated by a press release. In the case of the AC50 circuit, there are now so many different sources and reports that you have to have your head well and truly up your a#%e not to believe it is probably going to happen. Or do you think that a widely diverse group of people who have no relationship to each other are all posting stuff they have made up?

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
On this forum, for one. Offshore1 reports that Core are working on the boats. Just because it isn't published by a journalist or there is no press release doesn't mean that it isn't a "report". In this day of social media, forums like this is how a lot of stuff is reported. SA has always had well connected people post "reports" that are later furtyher substantiated by a press release. In the case of the AC50 circuit, there are now so many different sources and reports that you have to have your head well and truly up your a#%e not to believe it is probably going to happen. Or do you think that a widely diverse group of people who have no relationship to each other are all posting stuff they have made up?
"In the case of the AC50 circuit, there are now so many different sources and reports that you have to have your head well and truly up your a#%e not to believe it is probably going to happen" Again...I ask you Where are these "many different sources and reports"?  

"a widely diverse group of people who have no relationship to each other are all posting stuff they have made up?" A widely diverse group? You mean the same group that has bitched and moaned about everything about the next AC? The same people who when ETNZ were talking about "extremely high costs in AC34" answered with "Oh well if you can't afford it, get out" and are now saying "The next AC is far too expensive and the boats are ugly and too complicated" and then saw one, just one report from Tom Ehman about a possible AC50 series and pounced on it. 

agk470

Anyone who says its too expensive to compete in the AC shouldn't be there, Its the AC, the Cream of the Cream in both design and sailing so it should be elitist by both teams and athletes. It would lose all its charm and pedigree if it is able to be competed by joe average. I say good on NZ for doing what they have done, Personally i'd rather of it continued in the cats and watched the development but Nz has every right to do as they wish, they have stayed competing and developing so good on them, It will be a wild ass cup and the boats will be wicked and beasts to sail, Is it the right thing to do for sailing? why should NZ have to worry about that, Its the boat that they want to design and defend in. Will the boats be faster than the 50's? who cares...why does the cup have to get faster? 

Bring on the big $$$ as it will mean a great trickle down to the whole sailing community with both technologies and work for more people.

The 50 series will happen and wont take any spotlight off the cup, If a team wants to compete in the cup they will simple, if they want to sail in a more commercially friendly series and racing sooner than 2021, then they will sail the 50's. will they do both, Id highly doubt it but that would be impressive.

Is it out of spite, who knows and who cares. who are we to say what they should or shouldn't spend their money on the 50 or cup. I know what I'd be doing if i was a billionaire. IT seems that its all playing out very much like it was before the cup, the teams that wanted to keep the 50 running will, the team that didn't isnt, pretty simple, both are doing exactly as they said they would so actually are to be commended for sticking to their plans.

Its not the CUP its not going to try to be the CUP, Its simply a way to get high speed high action sailing on TV or online so more people can watch, more sponsors can get involved and more people working in the awesome industry that is our sport and passion and keep sailors busy, would this format work as the cup of future? well not unless one of the teams can knock of the kiwis and that wouldn't be an easy task on the best of days.

Not exactly sure how this is a bad thing, I love the cup and cant wait to see the boats launched and sailed. the engineering feat will be that of climbing Everest and the skill set to sail them will put the best on edge no doubt, I equally cant wait to see the 50's ripping around fleet racing equally as challenging and wild. what an awesome 3 years of yachting to come. the STOKE is real. 

You guy all need to chill, stop being keyboard heros and spend more time out there yachting, foiling, kiting, wind whacking or anything and or watching yachting, then maybe you'll be to tired to sling shit at each other  :D

Team_GBR

Super Anarchist
The Medal Race
Well I guess this counts Team GBR/ LRBAR out of this series.
Please can you explain how you come to that conclusion. there is no reason at all why they cannot do both and there would be lots of benefits. Where else can you get practice at sailing at 40+ knots in close quarters against other boats?

You really are a hater of the worst sort. You claim everybody is making up stuff because they hate ETNZ, so let's see how that stacks up. Please tell us who is lying.

1. Is ACS lying when he says that Ian Murray said he is going to be running the racing  and that the mods are underway. Is he lying when he posted that Tom Slingsby has said he will be helming in the series?

2. Am I lying when I say I have been told that Artemis are in with Outteridge as helm and Percy running the show?

3.Was agk470 lying when he says that Grant Simmer told him that the boards were being made and the boats were being done, or was Simmer lying?

4. Is Offshore 1 lying when he reports that Core is currently working on the AC50's. Or was the Core staff member who told him lying?

5. In a recent interview by Sailjuice (Andy Rice), Paul Goodison mentions the AC50 series, although admits he doesn't have details. Did he just make that up, or does he at least know something to make him mention it in public?

6. Was the President of La Fraglia Vela Malcesine either lying or simply made up the story about being approached by a group headed by Ellison to host and event in the Loius Vuitton Cup in a program that involves Barcelona, Dubai and San Fran. Are you suggesting that they won't be using AC50's for that series?

Either everybody is lying or there is something going on.

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
Please can you explain how you come to that conclusion. there is no reason at all why they cannot do both and there would be lots of benefits. Where else can you get practice at sailing at 40+ knots in close quarters against other boats?

Because Ben Ainslie, and his teams sole focus will be the AC. They have confirmed their challenge and their main backer.

You really are a hater of the worst sort. You claim everybody is making up stuff because they hate ETNZ, so let's see how that stacks up. Please tell us who is lying.

1. Is ACS lying when he says that Ian Murray said he is going to be running the racing  and that the mods are underway. Is he lying when he posted that Tom Slingsby has said he will be helming in the series?

2. Am I lying when I say I have been told that Artemis are in with Outteridge as helm and Percy running the show?

3.Was agk470 lying when he says that Grant Simmer told him that the boards were being made and the boats were being done, or was Simmer lying?

4. Is Offshore 1 lying when he reports that Core is currently working on the AC50's. Or was the Core staff member who told him lying?

5. In a recent interview by Sailjuice (Andy Rice), Paul Goodison mentions the AC50 series, although admits he doesn't have details. Did he just make that up, or does he at least know something to make him mention it in public?

6. Was the President of La Fraglia Vela Malcesine either lying or simply made up the story about being approached by a group headed by Ellison to host and event in the Loius Vuitton Cup in a program that involves Barcelona, Dubai and San Fran. Are you suggesting that they won't be using AC50's for that series?

Either everybody is lying or there is something going on.

First of all, calm down. I never called anyone a liar! I just said until there is some kind, any kind of report stating that anything is going on, take it with a grain of salt. You've gone all in on the fact that someone mentioned something a while but had no details. Now...how about you answer me this...who's gonna do it? Where/ when/ who/how? thats all I've ever asked...and all you ever said was, "Oh someone said something about it" so its on.

kawalski

Anarchist
Ireland
Because Ben Ainslie, and his teams sole focus will be the AC. They have confirmed their challenge and their main backer.
Is ETNZ sole focus the AC? Then why are Blair and Pete doing the VOR?

Is LR, AM, TeamGB sole focus the AC? Then why are they doing the TP52 Series? Why is DB doing the congressional cup?

They're doing the TP circuit because...

1. They don't have an AC boat to sail

2. It is high performance close racing which will benefit the team.

How can you not see that doing an AC50 circuit could only be beneficial to an AC team? 

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
Is ETNZ sole focus the AC? Then why are Blair and Pete doing the VOR?

Is LR, AM, TeamGB sole focus the AC? Then why are they doing the TP52 Series? Why is DB doing the congressional cup?

They're doing the TP circuit because...

1. They don't have an AC boat to sail

2. It is high performance close racing which will benefit the team.

How can you not see that doing an AC50 circuit could only be beneficial to an AC team? 
Is Ben Ainslies sole focus the Americas Cup? Yes it is. They are doing the PAC52 series because they believe it is the best way to learn/ train and develop crew work in monohull sailing, while at the same time racing monohulls.  Its the same reason Pete and Blair are doing the Volvo Ocean Race, to gain monohull experience while still maintaining a competitive edge. Dean Barker is back in the congressional cup and has been working with the Rambler 88 team because its monohull experience while maintaining the competitive edge. The AC focus will come once the entry period ends and teams are finalised, until then, its about training and developing crew work on the art of monohull sailing which is why we see Ainslie in the PAC52 Class, Pete and Blair in the VOR and Barker in the Congressional Cup. If the 50's were beneficial don't you think we would see teams like Team GB and ETNZ using those already proven, already established and already tested platforms instead of looking for something else? Ainslie has recycled all of his test and race boats, ETNZ are going to display theirs once the base is finalised, who really knows where the others are, so if they were as beneficial as you say they are, don't you think Teams would at least be maintaining them instead of recycling/ storing them?

inebriated

Anarchist
Australia
Is Ben Ainslies sole focus the Americas Cup? Yes it is. They are doing the PAC52 series because they believe it is the best way to learn/ train and develop crew work in monohull sailing, while at the same time racing monohulls.  Its the same reason Pete and Blair are doing the Volvo Ocean Race, to gain monohull experience while still maintaining a competitive edge. Dean Barker is back in the congressional cup and has been working with the Rambler 88 team because its monohull experience while maintaining the competitive edge. The AC focus will come once the entry period ends and teams are finalised, until then, its about training and developing crew work on the art of monohull sailing which is why we see Ainslie in the PAC52 Class, Pete and Blair in the VOR and Barker in the Congressional Cup. If the 50's were beneficial don't you think we would see teams like Team GB and ETNZ using those already proven, already established and already tested platforms instead of looking for something else? Ainslie has recycled all of his test and race boats, ETNZ are going to display theirs once the base is finalised, who really knows where the others are, so if they were as beneficial as you say they are, don't you think Teams would at least be maintaining them instead of recycling/ storing them?
BAR have not recycled their race boat

only test boats, and not even all of them, one is in a museum somewhere