Larry's AC50 Circus

smackdaddy

Super Anarchist
SmackDab, Middle
I take it you've not used the app, Kwij?

See, that's the problem with you guys in this thread - you are all WAY too stuck in "traditional-land"....the past of yacht racing, of television, of media, of boat/systems design, etc. - all of it.

Listening to Clean and TomE complain about SailGP's media approach kind of summed it all up. The truth is, you all are just being left behind as SailGP redefines, literally, all of the above.

I truly have hope that the Kiwis will completely up the all-round ante in the next AC - in each area above. That would be great for the overall sport - just like the ACWS over the last couple of ACs completely changed how racing was conducted and watched.

Because if they don't, the AC is going to fade into yesteryear - just an infrequent tradition that gradually loses its luster for each generation. And that would suck. So we'll see where we end up. It's gonna be an interesting ride over the next couple of years. Here's hoping for revolutionary racing and excitement being borne out of NZ. The world is watching.

Last edited by a moderator:

shanghaisailor

Super Anarchist
Shanghai, China
Waaal, to be fair SailGP has attracted its share of critics elsewhere too.

I'm all in favour of another series at an AC performance level, but annually and in multiple locales around the world. SailGP is position to do that. Forget Manhattan in June. That was a guaranteed loser. There should be a good expectation of wind and good sailing conditions. Face it. Live spectating is nice but with sailing  lacking F1-style tracks and grandstands it will never be a money magnet. Although spectators and spectator fleets are a vital part of the spectacle. 

The major financial return will have to come from media rights and that means major improvements are needed in filming technique, production and presentation. Watching a new production company rehashing old lessons is painful.

Kudos to SailGP for optimising the boats as one-designs and for advances in foil control that delivery more stability and performance. Although that means diddely squat to Joe Public.

A few thoughts, while trying to put myself in the shoes of the average viewer, with a sailing background or otherwise:

*  Boats, performances, courses and video presentation don't look wildly different from Bermuda.

*  Telling and showing a coherent story during racing is vital. Shooters, directors and commentators should be
    a tight  unit, leading viewers through each race.

*  Build on learning opportunities. Use split screens to bring insights to crossing situations.

Others here may have positive suggestions.  Let's hear 'em!
To be fair, unless it is being watched by the same audience which to a degree is likely if the boats don't look different then no matter, they are still fast. Also some of the Bermuda elements were/are worth keeping. That said, technology has moved on and should be grasped with both hands and utilised

I agree completely that if the event wants to attract a non-sailors audience then the complexities of our sport need to be gently explained as the action is happening. It is all well and good a commentator getting excited when HE knows it is exciting but many (most) a landsman wouldn't understand. I personally thought one of the best I have heard at quietly explaining things was Ken Read during AC34. His style coupled with the fact he understands high performance sailing put him, in my view, a step above most.

Viewers, if they eventually get the sort of numbers they want or need, will have to be educated as the action happens and that is a rare skill.

I also agree that the series is exciting and different but they also need to innovate with the coverage, split screens could be good, quickly built animations to show between races of what happened, things that will engage the non-sailor.

Unlikely SailGP would listen to us, they don't even give accreditation to SA ha ha. Having said that they are probably having similar discussions how to make the series more appealing on and in the media as that is the ROI that has to be sold to potential sponsors.

We also need to remember they are still in their first season, I am sure the learning curve is steep for more than just the sailors. 

Horn Rock

Super Anarchist
Byron Bay
I agree completely that if the event wants to attract a non-sailors audience then the complexities of our sport need to be gently explained as the action is happening.
I don't agree with this. Dumbing down the commentary annoys the core support - the sailing crowd. I enjoyed Ken in AC35, but having to educate the Rugby guy was tedious. I'd have preferred another expert and a higher level of discourse. More insight and expert opinion on why some boats were faster than others, why some foils were better etc. 

random

Super Anarchist
I've had enough - time to ignore you again!
It was funni tho.

Example 1.  Ken was about say yet again, for the umteenth time, that NZ had never been beaten if they got to the first mark first.

So Ken says something like... "and do you remember my favourite statistic?"

Rugby Guy replies ... cheekily, because everyone knew what was coming ..."Ah is that the one about how the drone could pick up a Labrador?"

giphy.gif

Example 2.  After Ken had explained VMG too many times, he was about to do it again when the Rugby Guy gave a definition way better than any of Ken's,

Ken said, a little miffed ...  "that's close, not bad"

source.gif

Horn Rock

Super Anarchist
Byron Bay
You must have missed it, the 'Rugby guy' was starting to take the piss out of Ken.
The Rugby guy did okay for a rugby guy doing sailing, but at times he was out of his depth, and really didn't grasp the finer points or nuances of racing sail boats, let alone the technical aspects. Having to ask why a leading boat would give up a bit of their lead to cover the other boat was tiresome to hear, when it's so obvious to any sailor. I understand wanting a pro guy to anchor the commentary, but Ken could have done that, and another expert would have lifted it measurably.

I don't think SailGp have it right with Jody. Nothing personal against the guy, I just think his tone of crikey Aussie bloke is a poor fit for the event.

random

Super Anarchist
Having to ask why a leading boat would give up a bit of their lead to cover the other boat was tiresome to hear, when it's so obvious to any sailor.
Well it just went right over your head clearly.

Have you considered that it was deliberate, teaming an expert with a lacky so they have an excuse to explain very basic concepts?

No?

Horn Rock

Super Anarchist
Byron Bay
Have you considered that it was deliberate, teaming an expert with a lacky so they have an excuse to explain very basic concepts?

No?
Yeah, yeah I get all that. I did work in Broadcast TV for 25 years so I know the whys and where fores. I just don't agree with the setup they had.

Fireball

Anarchist
Looks smooth and steady
I've always thought that a LOA of 35 to 40 feet is a good choice for the foiling cats: big enough to have multiple crew and to not worry about trapezes, but small enough to keep the costs down.

BTW: I suspect that the same will apply to the foiling monos - LOA of 35 to 40 feet will turn out to be a good choice.

Curious

Anarchist
How many activities that the average person has never done can get the sort of ratings that the SailGP will need to get?

Latest posts