Larry's AC50 Circus

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Off thread but anyway

Am in a sports bar in Seattle and at least half the big screens are on what looks to be the Clipper around the world race? A touch too much people-personal but much of this is actually gorgeous.

Nice production quality, it’s surprising me.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
"Core Builders Composites Ltd are seeking applicants for a Grand Prix yacht racing program"

https://www.seek.co.nz/job/36396679?type=standard

I wonder what this could be @sclarke probably just an Optimist racing programme job right?
Several new details get focus in TE’s segment starting around 35’ in.

https://www.sailingillustrated.com/single-post/2018/06/19/TWT-Watch-a-replay-of-this-weeks-Tuesdays-with-TFE-live-webcast

TWT: Details of the Ellison/Coutts F50 pro-sail circuit revealed on this week's 'Tuesdays with TFE' live webcast; watch a replay

Tuesday, June 19, 2018

TOM EHMAN

SAN FRANCISCO (#1028) – Watch a replay of our weekly Sailing Illustrated yacht racing news and views webcast, Tuesday's with TFE for June 19, 2018, with a world exclusive on plans for the new F50 pro-sail circuit being organized by Larry Ellison and Russell Coutts to begin in 2019. 

Lost in Translation

Super Anarchist
Atlanta, GA
Great to see Stingray and thanks to Tom Ehman.  I'd love to see this.  

So here are the proposed teams for the F50's per Tom:

1. France - Cammas
  2. USA - Rome Kirby
  3. NZL or China - Craig Monk
  4. Australia - Slingsby
  5. Sweden - Ian Percy

Stan Honey will be involved in the TV to take it to the next level.

Other details:

• 10 boat rehab / build and logistics led by Mark Turner.  
  • Crew of 5 with electric power, reduction of 1 person compared to the AC.
  • $5M entry fee, boat delivered for use "concierge" style at each event.  No mods allowed.
  • Teams could make money with share of media rights.
  • Events possible in Sydney, Europe, Bermuda, San Francisco, and elsewhere.

rh3000

Super Anarchist
Auckland, New Zealand

1. France - Cammas
  2. USA - Rome Kirby
  4. Australia - Slingsby
  5. Sweden - Ian Percy

Other details:

• $5M entry fee, boat delivered for use "concierge" style at each event.  No mods allowed.
There was a time when this was sounding like a sailing equivalent of the FIA's Masters Historic Formula One Championship which would have been intersting, but once you start getting a turnkey package and "concierge service" (vomit) it really is just the sailing equivalent of the Ferrari Challenge - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ferrari_Challenge. The difference here, is that the rich dicks paying their way into a fake championship aren't even getting to drive the things.

This is sounding less compelling every time I hear more about it...

Ironic that EB/Alinghi isn't part of this as buying your way into contention is par for the course for him, and he does actually get onboard the boats - would have thought this would be perfect - with the exception of lacking any meaning, which is one thing he *does* appear to care about.

The list reads basically as the AC's "unemployables" - also not sure why the teams are classified by country, as evidenced by that list it's even more meaningless than in AC, and frankly it makes no difference to the comp - just let them be franchises like other pro sports.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW

1. France - Cammas
  2. USA - Rome Kirby
  4. Australia - Slingsby
  5. Sweden - Ian Percy

Other details:

Cool post - Perfect summary. 

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Cool post - Perfect summary. 
Part of the slideshow

9702B86D-43D6-4DBE-860C-58E0669732C0.jpeg

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Should this be on the trickle down thread?
Maybe in the ‘Sclarke is a big F’ing dumbass’ thread?  ;D

The analogy that TE drew to the developmement and growth of LE’s privately funded Indian Wells Tennis Tournament was, I thought, well illustrative of LE’s power to develop things he intends to make happen.

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
Maybe in the ‘Sclarke is a big F’ing dumbass’ thread?  ;D

The analogy that TE drew to the developmement and growth of LE’s privately funded Indian Wells Tennis Tournament was, I thought, well illustrative of LE’s power to develop things he intends to make happen.
Piss off mate. When Ehman shot his mouth off about the Super 12's he stated he had teams signed up, builders contracted to build his boats, he had sponsors, TV contracts etc and it was all go, and where did that end up? nowhere that's where.

Tornado-Cat

Super Anarchist

1. France - Cammas
  2. USA - Rome Kirby
  4. Australia - Slingsby
  5. Sweden - Ian Percy

Other details:

I would also hope for foils with flaps and a reefable wing.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Piss off mate. When Ehman shot his mouth off about the Super 12's he stated he had teams signed up, builders contracted to build his boats, he had sponsors, TV contracts etc and it was all go, and where did that end up? nowhere that's where.
Regardless that back-when Super 12’s effort? This is not a TE effort. 

It is, despite your often apoplectic denials of the feasibility of this coming F50 series, a pretty big deal with $Billionaire power to ensure that it happens.

You lose this argument. Have you got a better one?

rh3000

Super Anarchist
Auckland, New Zealand
Regardless that back-when Super 12’s effort? This is not a TE effort. 

It is, despite your often apoplectic denials of the feasibility of this coming F50 series, a pretty big deal with $Billionaire power to ensure that it happens.

You lose this argument. Have you got a better one?
Quite how big a deal it is (or will be) remains to be seen. The presence of billionaires is negligible in and of itself.

rh3000

Super Anarchist
Auckland, New Zealand
Two $Bs not enough for you then?
There are thousands of billionaires all over the world spending their money in hundreds of thousands of different pursuits tailored to their lifestyles and egos... What has it to do with me? If I wanted to see concierged billionaires compete for some made up insta-prize I'd go watch their divorce proceedings...

But it wouldn't matter if there were 100 billionaires involved in this thing... It's a vanity project... Who gives a fuck whose money it is being spent?

Case in point - In the grand scheme of things no one really cares about Ferrari Challenge or the Porsche Supercup or Lamborghini Super trofeo or Trofeo Maserati... And yet there are many more billionaires and millionaires involved in those competitions of a much larger sport (motor)

America's Cup cats to fly again in new series

by Richard Gladwell, Sail-World.com/nz 21 Jun 14:50 NZST

https://www.sail-world.com/news/206752
"Teams are expected to be initially financed by wealthy owners, rather than be run as sailor-driven campaigns on a strictly commercial basis, making the purported $5million entry fee somewhat incidental."

hahahaha -- I WISH that $5mm were "incidental" to me. I've got a long way to go. Right now, $5 seems material. 

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
I'm not really sure where Gladwell gets that comment from as TE said the opposite, that the media coverage planned would open the event to sponsor-funded teams.

Enquiring minds might wonder who the possible NZ team owner may be.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
I'm not really sure where Gladwell gets that comment from as TE said the opposite, that the media coverage planned would open the event to sponsor-funded teams.

Enquiring minds might wonder who the possible NZ team owner may be.

RG fluffed it out and in the process wrote a few questionable lines but he also seems to have contacted some of the people TE named and, as RG wrote, none of them denied it will be happening. That ‘independent’ confirmation makes the F50 Series developments news all the more solid.

RG seemed to imply ‘ten teams’ sharing (presumably) fewer boats, as opposed to ‘ten boats’ which is what TE had in his presentation. Will be interesting which of the two is true.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
here you go, clarkymalarky, now from at an NZ media site: https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/104920345/details-emerge-of-pro-series-for-ditched-americas-cup-catamarans

Speculation has increased on the foiling catamarans used in last year's America's Cup in Bermuda being modified for a new professional world circuit backed by American billionaire Larry Ellison.

The well-connected Tom Ehman in the United States has ramped up details of the secretive series on his weekly show on Sailing Illustrated.