Larry's AC50 Circus

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
here you go, clarkymalarky, now from at an NZ media site: https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/other-sports/104920345/details-emerge-of-pro-series-for-ditched-americas-cup-catamarans

Speculation has increased on the foiling catamarans used in last year's America's Cup in Bermuda being modified for a new professional world circuit backed by American billionaire Larry Ellison.

The well-connected Tom Ehman in the United States has ramped up details of the secretive series on his weekly show on Sailing Illustrated.
The Losers regatta.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
RG has updated his article, the changes include this addition:

A question as to whether 10 boats were being built was met by one with an incredulous guffaw indicating the number was off the mark.

However based on the ACWS experience, 10 teams would seem to be the minimum to make a series. The key being whether teams are given boats for their exclusive use if there are just two or four platforms onto which the racing team sets up their own wingsail carry their team advertising/sponsorship.

To generate a 10 boat fleet Core Composites would have to acquire four of the six AC50's built for the 2017 America's Cup, and then build another six new F-50's (assuming no new tooling was required). That means on the floor at Core Builders which is located in multiple buildings in a sprawling industrial estate, there would be 12 new hulls, eight existing hulls being modified to take a common daggerboard system and for other systems to be retrofitted, including the installation of battery power.

That also means 12 new crossbeams, not to mention at least six new wingsails, and that doesn't include producing a smaller upper half of the wingsail to increase the sailing range of the AC50 to be above 24kts.

Not to mention the production of 20 one-design daggerboards, or modification of existing stock (each of which was designed to be unique). A daggerboard on its own is usually an eight week project. Plus ten pods to go underneath the wingsail.

Assembling a 10 boat fleet is a massive undertaking. Even for Core where operations can be spread with wingsails being built in one facility, and hulls in another, and assembly in another. Even with Core Builders Composites very impressive facilities and expertise it is a massive project, and one that would be very hard to fly under the radar in Auckland marine industry.

https://www.sail-world.com/news/206752/Speculation-mounts-on-new-Foiling-50s-circuit

Last edited by a moderator:

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
No, you said it wouldn’t happen at all. Over and over and over...
Yes, I have. But I also gave reasoning for that. Its just that people didn't want to believe it. They were so stuck on "The boats are cool" that they didn't think about what it actually entailed.

No AC sailors are able to compete, that means no big names.

6 new boats being built at CORE, 4 being modified. Its been a year since the AC finished, almost to the day, and that means boats would've had to have been purchased, shipped, stored, re-designed, re-tested, and modified.

If these boats are being built, are they being shipped before they're even been sea trialled? If they're built in NZ, surely it would make more logistical sense to test them in NZ, then build them, wrap them and ship them and test them in some other country.

Are they to be shipped back to NZ if they don't work? Is CORE moving its business out of NZ? Is this series going to work like the VOR with one "Boatyard" travelling around the world to maintain the boats. Is this "Boatyard" separate to CORE? These boats were on the edge, so does that mean the "Edge" has been taken away?

It took at least one year, in some cases a couple of years for AC teams to perfect racing these boats effectively. But untested teams of sailors who aren't as experienced as the AC sailors before them, are supposed to step on and off these boats every couple of months and make them look as good as they did in Bermuda. Even in Bermuda, it was only the top teams (ETNZ and Artemis, and i think Oracle) who completed 100% fly time laps, and that wasn't a regular occurrence except for ETNZ.

A $5million dollar entry fee, and not be able to touch your own boat? Most of these guys have spent the last year complaining about costs, now they're going to pay a BILLIONAIRE $5million bucks when he clearly has the resources to do it himself?

Its an AC year, teams are running 2 boat programs. As well as the current global series already running, that leaves a fairly small talent pool to pick from. Remember, the Olympics are also coming up.  

I never denied the boats were cool, they clearly were, but a series involving these boats is unnecessary. These boats had their time. Its time for the AC75 to have its time. 

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
I heard something like this (paraphrasing from memory):

“Larry was told it would take three years to ramp up, and he shot back, “Do it in one.” So there might not be ten boats in the first year, but just wait and see. 

Bigger question is fleet racing or match racing. RG thinks it will be match a la the LV Pacific Series, with ten teams rotating through four boats and maybe that’s the case, at least early on. But I doubt it.”

agk470

Again have Blair and Pete signed for NZ? Outteridge, Slingsby, Ashby, cammas, CJ, Draper, lamb? Kirby?  

Just unsure on who has and hasn’t. 

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Again have Blair and Pete signed for NZ? Outteridge, Slingsby, Ashby, cammas, CJ, Draper, lamb? Kirby?  

Just unsure on who has and hasn’t. 
ETNZ-related people seem to think Blair and Pete are signed but neither of them has confirmed it so far that I know of, when asked the question. That was the situation during even the VOR stopover in Auckland, in radio and on TV interviews. They were both cagey, but my guess is that GD will have to cave and that he has a massive enough budget that he will. 

Rskiff

ETNZ-related people seem to think Blair and Pete are signed but neither of them has confirmed it so far that I know of, when asked the question. That was the situation during even the VOR stopover in Auckland, in radio and on TV interviews. They were both cagey, but my guess is that GD will have to cave and that he has a massive enough budget that he will. 
http://www.stuff.co.nz/nz-newspapers/central-north-island/sport/sport-region-6459/103255334/Team-New-Zealand-not-confirming-Peter-Burling-as-skipper-for-next-Americas-Cup

agk470

I would imagine they would still be on retainer but there doesnt seem to be anything actually saying who is signed. No press release so I’d imagine they will start talks after Volvo. I have heard that burbling has been offered a team if he wants it. I wouldn’t expect he would take it but surely Russel would have hit him up. I’m sure a lot more will come out soon. I heard one team is out will be interesting to see what comes of that.