Larry's AC50 Circus

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
 Evmcause Sclarke Malarkey is desperately trying to hide from all all his previous, endless complete Bullshit. Nav needs a new name too, his handle’s rep is f’ing trash. 

It’s going to get interesting soon, from what I’ve heard, in AC land ;)
It is going to get interesting in Ac land, the problem is, the losers series no longer has anything to do with the AC.

Monkey

Super Anarchist
Why did he change his screen name here a few months ago? 
Because someone figured out who he is. It’s probably a little embarrassing to post nonsense like he does when you realize people you see in public know the source of such garbage. 

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
Because someone figured out who he is. It’s probably a little embarrassing to post nonsense like he does when you realize people you see in public know the source of such garbage. 
An act of desperation from someone who clearly had nothing else to fall back on...just show me proof lol that's all I've ever said. But you can't.

The Extreme Sailing Series went to Sydney and no one cared. This will be the same. Supermaxis are where its at in Sydney, of which they have four. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Monkey

Super Anarchist
An act of desperation from someone who clearly had nothing else to fall back on...just show me proof lol that's all I've ever said. But you can't.

The Extreme Sailing Series went to Sydney and no one cared. This will be the same. Supermaxis are where its at in Sydney, of which they have four. 
You just contradicted yourself. You’ve said over and over again it’d never happen. 

Here’s your chance to just be a normal honest person, and I’ll even respect you for admitting it. Were you wrong?  

Indio

Super Anarchist
Auckland
You just contradicted yourself. You’ve said over and over again it’d never happen. 

Here’s your chance to just be a normal honest person, and I’ll even respect you for admitting it. Were you wrong?  
Why are you wasting your time on a second-rate losers' regatta that we were assured would be launched this year? All we've had so far is fake news over this...

Monkey

Super Anarchist
Why are you wasting your time on a second-rate losers' regatta that we were assured would be launched this year? All we've had so far is fake news over this...
Because they’re still fun boats to watch. I couldn’t care less that they aren’t racing for the America’s Cup. It’ll still be fun to watch. 

I’ll still be watching the AC with just as much enthusiasm. Why do you idiots keep on insisting that fans can’t enjoy both?

Terry Hollis

Super Anarchist
Because they’re still fun boats to watch. I couldn’t care less that they aren’t racing for the America’s Cup. It’ll still be fun to watch. 

I’ll still be watching the AC with just as much enthusiasm. Why do you idiots keep on insisting that fans can’t enjoy both?
Assuming that the regatta goes ahead which of the unknown teams will you support?

Horn Rock

Super Anarchist
Byron Bay

They were fun to watch, but a big part of that fun - for me - was the technology contest, who had the best foils, best control system etc. If they go one design - and that's looking likely, these boats won't nearly be so interesting.

Mitre cut

NZ
It sounds like they will be spending quite a bit of time doing tuneups based out of Port Whangarei before the whole circus packs up and heads to Sydney. If thats the case Bream Bay could be a great place to go and watch some high speed fleet racing. 

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand

If you prove Me wrong, I'll be wrong. But you haven't. Question: So these boats, this series, according to you kicks off in Feb in Sydney? Why go to Sydney? Australia doesn't care about anything associated with the AC, so why take ex-AC boats that all lost to a better boat to a nation that doesn't care about their history, or their future and only cares about 100 foot Supermaxi campaigns?

Secondly, so apparently the boats launch in Auckland? to tune in Whangarei? Where is a whole fleet of AC50's going to be stored in Whangarei? There is no infrastructure capable of accommodating a fleet of AC50's. One would think with the proximity to ETNZ and the upcoming AC that they wouldn't be welcome anywhere near the AC village in Auckland City. I remember when the OTUSA AC72 was supposed to be launched in, and tune in Whangarei in 2012, but they ultimately canned that idea because it was too expensive logistically.

Thirdly, so it starts in Feb? The southern hemisphere summer, and then what? There is nowhere else to go till around May/ June/ July, the Northern Summer. You might be able to sail boats in the northern winter in some countries, but in others, much of those northern countries are blanketed in snow in their winter. America especially. They won't be able to hold any events in Chicago until May/ June. In the mid year months the European sailing calendar ramps up and there are regattas like the 52 Super Series, the RC44 and GC32 series, all established regattas holding events from May through October/ November, not to mention an AC cycle which will be in full swing by then. 

Mitre cut

NZ
Wait and see.....from what Ive been told by those that actually know, the boats will not touch down in AKL.  

The whole circus will set up in Whangarei and then head to Sydney from direct from there.

Remember a lot of the logistics for the area - on/off water boat handing,  crew and team accomodation, shipping etc have already been well researched by Oracle - when they were at an early  stage with the big cats prior to San Fran as it was reasonably close to their Warkworth building facilities.

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
Wait and see.....from what Ive been told by those that actually know, the boats will not touch down in AKL.  

The whole circus will set up in Whangarei and then head to Sydney from direct from there.

Remember a lot of the logistics for the area - on/off water boat handing,  crew and team accomodation, shipping etc have already been well researched by Oracle - when they were at an early  stage with the big cats prior to San Fran as it was reasonably close to their Warkworth building facilities.
The boats will need to touch down in AKL. IMO Northport Whangarei isn't capable of housing that kind of large scale logistical operation. They will need to build infrastructure in Whangarei specifically to accommodate that scale of operation. That's not going to happen before Christmas let alone February.

The reason they canned that launch/ tune idea in Whangarei in 2012 was because it was too logistically difficult. Hard to see that changing.

One thing we do know is that the teams will not be AC teams. 

We have one design boats sailed by anonymous people of no particular country .. sounds exciting .. not.
For the life of me I don't understand why so many people are actively dismissive of this effort. 

In theory, everyone here on this anachronistic site loves sailing. In theory, everyone here should support any effort that is good for sailing. Sailing, as a sport and as a pastime, has serious challenges. Here in my part of the world, for example, I had a great afternoon at the beach with the kids on Sunday. Stunning day. SW breeze about 10-12 steady. It was the perfect day for sailing, and yet what was moving across my view? Floating RVs and JetSkis one after another, broken up by the occasional Cigarette doing 60. Only a few craft powered by the wind.

Sailing is not a zero-sum game. Boating may be, or may not be, but let me pose some questions: what if there were some circus of high-performance boats traveling the world to show themselves off in races against each other? What if the local JetSki contingent decided it would be cool to do that themselves? What if some local dude who made a mint selling blinking blue lights to police departments decided to underwrite the beginning of a fleet because he thought it would be cool?  Would not the world be a better place in the opinion of every stinking soul on this site? Or what if the circus only lasts a few years, is not the world a better place for having had more boats, more teams, more races?

Last question to those of you dismissive of an LE-funded series that might or might not materialize with sailors you might or might not have heard of on teams that might or might not have any national identity in boats that might or might not have been used in the last AC: why the f*#k would you say anything other than "good on Larry" and then get back to predicting how much time the JC75 will spend on foils?

Tornado-Cat

Super Anarchist
From Jack Griffin's letter:

[SIZE=10pt]·        [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]The boats are being converted to one design - foils, rudders, foil control systems, wing control systems will be identical.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]·        [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]The wing control system from Team France's boat will be used.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]·        [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Electric pumps will power the hydraulic system.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]·        [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]The boats will have a crew of five.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]·        [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]The conversion work is being doing at Core Builders in Warkworth, New Zealand. (Core is owned by Larry Ellison.)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]·        [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]There will be at least five teams.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]·        [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]The first regatta will be in February in Sydney. San Francisco and Bermuda have been mentioned as possible additional venues.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]·        [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]The class will be called F50.[/SIZE]