Laser Class Rules. Control lines

Admiral Hornblower

Super Anarchist
NE Ohio
I going to be acquiring a '73 laser and since of course it's going to have the old 3:1  vang I was wondering if I could make up a vang with some spare blocks and line that would have more purchase. Would that be allowed by the class rules?( I couldn't make any sense out of the Class Rules :unsure: )

I would like to to do something similar with the outhaul and cunningham as well...Though I am under the impression that the Rules are a little looser as to how those are rigged.

This is all supposing that the laser is worth new control lines, or even sailable! I have heard that the laser has been sitting uncovered on a beach for the last couple of years... :blink:

Also, is there the remotest chance that a '73 would be competitive in a club fleet?

Last edited by a moderator:

Ned

Super Anarchist
Wahiawa, Oahu
Apparently they want you to shell out for the "official one design version whatever version that is today version."  

Basically at that level do what you want until someone whines.  Take a look at the options and be close enough for now.  Then triple the value of your boat by getting a Not-Laser sail from Intensity.  

Remember to leak test the boat so you don't have the bad surprise, and go have some fun.  That one should have old crusty foam blocks wrapped in trashbags instead of pieces of old buoyancy jugs inside. 

Bill5

Super Anarchist
Western Canada
I suppose it depends on the caliber of your fleet. Unless it has been completely updated, a 47 year old boat would have trouble competing at our club. 

Major Tom

Super Anarchist
Darkest Africa
I suppose it depends on the caliber of your fleet. Unless it has been completely updated, a 47 year old boat would have trouble competing at our club. 
By completely updated I assume you mean new hull, spars, foils, fittings and sail?

That sounds about right!

I had 18853 as a mess around boat as well as a 3 year old boat, when sailing the old boat with all the good kit I still couldn’t hold a lane upwind in full hiking conditions, due to the twisting in the hull, it was possible to win but that required nailing every shift, and hoping my competitors didn’t,  in steady breeze it was depressing. With the new boat I was always at the pointy end of the fleet.

Xeon

Anarchist
England
As an aside to his , I was so pleased this week to see a picture of my first laser 64179 ( built 1979 ) competing at this years UK nationals . It was at the back of the fleet though  :D lt was just so nice to know it was still being sailed and enjoyed by someone .

JimC

Not actually an anarchist.
South East England
It also depends what you mean by competitive. IME boat speed isn't especially relevant in any class unless you are good enough to get in at least the top quarter of the fleet... Just have to do the maths... finishing time spread in just about any class is about 20%, but 5% would be an amazing boat speed advantage.

Last edited by a moderator:

MegaHertz

Ontario
This is how my vang used to be rigged back in the day. 

Scroll to the bottom of the link for instructions http://schrothfiberglass.com/RiggingforLaser.htm

image.png

OneGoat

I paid a bit more than I should have for 32xxx (a 74-ish build) then overcapitalised by updating the controls (with second hand parts). That took me from floundering a lap behind, up to mid fleet in our small and broadly capable club (occasionally 10 Lasers, ranging from kids who never raced the club Optis they learnt in, up to former national champs).

Then I upgraded to 196***, which placed me about the same in 2 races before COVID killed the season.

My new boat feels nicer, but that's probably as much new boat smell as anything. It doesn't leak, which is nice. Hopefully I'll continue to improve when we can race again.

If you're going to be finishing mid fleet or worse, your boat is less of a liability to your results than you are.

But spending money upgrading a wrecked boat is not good economics.

RobbieB

Super Anarchist
Charleston, SC
A cool thing happens when you join the class.  You get a class rule book in the mail that tells you everything that is class legal.  If you're concerned about being class legal you really should join because some event require class membership to participate, (mostly all the bigger events do).

Wess

Super Anarchist
I going to be acquiring a '73 laser and since of course it's going to have the old 3:1  vang I was wondering if I could make up a vang with some spare blocks and line that would have more purchase. Would that be allowed by the class rules?( I couldn't make any sense out of the Class Rules :unsure: )

I would like to to do something similar with the outhaul and cunningham as well...Though I am under the impression that the Rules are a little looser as to how those are rigged.

This is all supposing that the laser is worth new control lines, or even sailable! I have heard that the laser has been sitting uncovered on a beach for the last couple of years... :blink:

Also, is there the remotest chance that a '73 would be competitive in a club fleet?
Don't listen to these nutters.  Any old boat can be made to be competitive in any club fleet.  Its just a matter of how m,uch time you want to spend to bring it back if its got soft spots or structural issues.

Don't waste your time with the class.  There are many resources on how to rig a Laser old school or modern.  Here is one of many: http://www.schrothfiberglass.com/RiggingforLaser.htm

Bill5

Super Anarchist
Western Canada
Don't listen to these nutters.  Any old boat can be made to be competitive in any club fleet.  Its just a matter of how m,uch time you want to spend to bring it back if its got soft spots or structural issues.

Don't waste your time with the class.  There are many resources on how to rig a Laser old school or modern.  Here is one of many: http://www.schrothfiberglass.com/RiggingforLaser.htm
Time and money.

Bill5

Super Anarchist
Western Canada
Here is a helpful blog for you. I got the link on the North American ILCA website, which I linked to from the ILCA website. The Class website has always provided excellent information to all Laser sailors for FREE. I think you will find the info contained in this link, on the ILCA website and on the various ILCA regional websites to be of value, and not a waste of time. 

https://sailingforums.com/threads/old-laser-help-requested.42380/

Admiral Hornblower

Super Anarchist
NE Ohio
I looked at the Laser today, seems fairly good considering age and whats its been through! Here's an unbelievable story about this Laser. Apparently when he sailed the boat in Florida, a while back, a hurricane swept  this boat off the beach where it was stored. He alerted the Coast Guard, ( this is absolutely freakin unbelievable) and THREE years later, they called that this boat had drifted onto a beach, apparently none the worse for wear!

Anyway, the boat seem fairly solid, quite stiff, (we had to carry the boat over our heads up 77 stairs to reach a location accessible to a trailer, so I should know)

I noticed  a few spots that felt a little bouncy but nothing serious. Bear in mind I am getting this  for $50!

I'm picking up the boat tomorrow. will post pics.

Old Yeller

Anarchist
OTW
I looked at the Laser today, seems fairly good considering age and whats its been through! Here's an unbelievable story about this Laser. Apparently when he sailed the boat in Florida, a while back, a hurricane swept  this boat off the beach where it was stored. He alerted the Coast Guard, ( this is absolutely freakin unbelievable) and THREE years later, they called that this boat had drifted onto a beach, apparently none the worse for wear!

Anyway, the boat seem fairly solid, quite stiff, (we had to carry the boat over our heads up 77 stairs to reach a location accessible to a trailer, so I should know)

I noticed  a few spots that felt a little bouncy but nothing serious. Bear in mind I am getting this  for $50!

I'm picking up the boat tomorrow. will post pics.
Sounds like a very lucky laser. I’d buy it.

Alan Crawford

Super Anarchist
Bozeman, Montana
I going to be acquiring a '73 laser and since of course it's going to have the old 3:1  vang I was wondering if I could make up a vang with some spare blocks and line that would have more purchase. 
“Real” Laser sailers would use the 1973 3:1 Vang and would learn the, now, super duper secret method to tighten the Vang at the leeward mark! :D

Sounds like a great deal for $50! The fun per $ will be very high!