Laser Project Hull

Admiral Hornblower

Super Anarchist
NE Ohio
1970s Laser hull $100 OBO
I raced this Laser last year and when the mast step blew out I never got around to fixing it. Otherwise boat is in useable condition, no leaks, deck hardware was replaced last year.
It does need a bow eye and hiking strap though!
I'm also including a boom and top section.

20190417_082557A.jpg 20190417_083303A.jpg 20190417_083318A.jpg

Alan Crawford

Super Anarchist
Bozeman, Montana
Stash it in the back of your property, hide in the weeds and then the new owner can "find" this treasure, list it on Craigslist for $2000 since it's an Olympic boat and say the boat is missing a rutter  :D

You could also cut out the cockpit and build a hiking bench.

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
PDX
I chopped one up with an axe to fit in a dumpster. A good alternative to trashing a chainsaw. Do it on the beach or lawn so you can swing through the bottom 

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
I chopped one up with an axe to fit in a dumpster. A good alternative to trashing a chainsaw. Do it on the beach or lawn so you can swing through the bottom 
Just take it to the dump as is.  Though it usually has to go to an industrial dump, not your normal location, and the bulldozers there will make much quicker work of it and less mess for you.

couchsurfer

Super Anarchist
NA westcoast
The beach or lawn?   Nice way to get glass shards where the kiddies play. 

You ever heard of a sawzall or cut-off disk?  

Jeez Kenny, yer livin up to your name.  <;~l

Last edited by a moderator:

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
PDX
Either place would work, an axe doesn’t generate any loose debris compared to saws or abrasives. You get a few loose chunks to pick up but no loose fibers or small stuff. One test is worth a thousand expert opinions. 

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
LOL

I didn't expect this thread to turn into advice in how to to trash a Laser :lol:
Don't get me wrong, I rebuilt a friend's Laser that had issues like yours but there is a point at which all of this work is chasing demons in a boat.  I for one am a king of the basket cases as you would see in other threads.  

I have four basket cases at the moment...no, five, and @Alan Crawford is happily taking one of them off of my hands this Spring and two should be finished this Spring as well. 

One thing I hope to see is if @WestCoast become ILCA builders, would be to start furnishing the mast step repair kit again.  I'm sure that there are some people waiting and hoping for a kit to fix their boats up.

Kenny Dumas

Super Anarchist
PDX
I guess I should finish the “Chopping Dead Lasers with an Axe” instructions. Safety first:  Always chop barefoot. Boots give you a false sense of security. The axe should never have a travel vector towards your body. 
Decks and hull can be sliced a foot or two per chop. Gunnels require three or four chops at a square angle. One sweet square chop at the chine finishes the job. Perform some right of passage and do not go gently into the night 

II shoulda shot video. Missed my chance at 15 minutes of stardom. 

Just take it to the dump as is.  Though it usually has to go to an industrial dump, not your normal location, and the bulldozers there will make much quicker work of it and less mess for you.
Plus, they will take care of all the environmental issues for you. Its not cool to put fiberglass waste in your normal trash collection.

BL2 used Waste Management and a dumpster which is also fine.

neuronz

Anarchist
europe
Playboat in a sandbox? Grind away the sharp fibres mount a steering wheel and leave the rest to a child's imagination.

Or pour filler into whole to regain watertightness, add some weight for stability and use as swimming platform.

Last edited by a moderator: