Laser Turbo Testing

We've been continuing the testing here in SF Bay of the Laser Turbo 'Chop Top' squarehead sail. Reported earlier were some test results from the Cal Sailing Club and Corpus Christi, TX. The Turbo made it's debut at the StFYC in the Laser Thursday evening club racing 2 weeks ago with good results by several sailors in 15-20 knot winds. Today (again at the StFYC) during the Laser Slalom event (following the NA's) several experienced Laser sailors got their chance at the Turbo with some impressive off-the-wind rides. Winds according to the iWindsurf chart found here << http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?...&siteID=214 >> were in the 20-gusting-to-30 range. More testing is expected tomorrow as other Laser sailors are lining up to give it a go. Many Thanks! to West Coast Sailing for contributing a brand new test boat and rig (now slightly tweaked from the strong conditions.) Here are some admittedly poor pics of Evan (sp??) who weighs in around 185 lbs doing an impressive job in typical mid-summer SF Bay conditions.

More to come as reports are filed.

Thanks for looking...

Laser_Turbo_1a.jpg Laser_Turbo_5a.jpg Laser_Turbo_12a.jpg

Laser_Turbo_16a.jpg Laser_Turbo_6a.jpg Laser_Turbo_7a.jpg

Laser_Turbo_9a.jpg Laser_Turbo_14a.jpg

Laser_Turbo_17a.jpg Laser_Turbo_18a.jpg

Anyone with a Laser looking for more excitement and easier handling than the std dacron triangle provides. The sail is bigger (a lot bigger) so the boat powers up more quickly and stays powered up longer. The full battens and low stretch matrials provide a stable shape. Heavier sailors will certainly find it more interesting...

Very cool. It looks so much better than the Rooster 8.1 rig in the UK. That rig is targeted at the heavier sailor (90kgs+). Who is this aimed at?

Carbon

Super Anarchist
I love it. Best part is it appears to be no more than a sail to upgrade your fun. I look forward to hearing more.

Carbon

North American Demo schedule is as follows:

Daily at Cal Sailing Club in Berkeley, CA (They have 2) Every day, any day.

Tomorrow at StFYC in San Francisco before/during/after the Laser Slalom event. Contact Patrick at West Coast Sailing or Bill or Jane at Hansen Sails.

August 2-3, Portland, OR. Contact West Coast Sailing - George or Patrick

Monday, August 4th & 11th Laser sailing at Willamette Sailing Club, Portland, OR (Contact West Coast Sailing - George or Patrick)

August 5-13 Open demos available. Contact West Coast Sailing - George or Patrick or Bill or Jane at Hansen Sails

August 14th Cascade Locks, OR Columbia River Laser Blowout. Charter it and be first overall. Open bidding now in place... Contact Bill at Hansen Sails

August 15th-17th Cascade Locks, OR - Laser Masters & Moth US Nationals Contact Bill at Hansen Sails

International demos are in process - contact Jane at [email protected]

Or, simply order one and join the fun on your own Golden Pond...

It is FUN, if anyone wants to try one let me know, in SFbay

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
North American Demo schedule is as follows:
Daily at Cal Sailing Club in Berkeley, CA (They have 2) Every day, any day.

Tomorrow at StFYC in San Francisco before/during/after the Laser Slalom event. Contact Patrick at West Coast Sailing or Bill or Jane at Hansen Sails.

August 2-3, Portland, OR. Contact West Coast Sailing - George or Patrick

Monday, August 4th & 11th Laser sailing at Willamette Sailing Club, Portland, OR (Contact West Coast Sailing - George or Patrick)

August 5-13 Open demos available. Contact West Coast Sailing - George or Patrick or Bill or Jane at Hansen Sails

August 14th Cascade Locks, OR Columbia River Laser Blowout. Charter it and be first overall. Open bidding now in place... Contact Bill at Hansen Sails

August 15th-17th Cascade Locks, OR - Laser Masters & Moth US Nationals Contact Bill at Hansen Sails

International demos are in process - contact Jane at [email protected]

Or, simply order one and join the fun on your own Golden Pond...
How much Bill?

We will consider demos on the east coast (and elsewhere) given a proper venue and sufficient audience. Interested parties should contact us with your proposal. Email to [email protected]

Thanks!

We are working on pricing and dealer/distribution at the moment with a goal of value-added 'bang for the buck.' The sail is 120 sq-ft making it about 58% larger than the std sail and of higher quality Dimension-Polyant technical laminates. As such, the retail price would be in the $700-$900 range when accounting for the size increase and a cost/sq-ft equivalent to the std class-legal dacron sail.

You uhh... you comin to the east coast perchance?????????
yeah yeah, what he said......
How much Bill?

resalsail

We are working on pricing and dealer/distribution at the moment with a goal of value-added 'bang for the buck.' The sail is 120 sq-ft making it about 58% larger than the std sail and of higher quality Dimension-Polyant technical laminates. As such, the retail price would be in the $700-$900 range when accounting for the size increase and a cost/sq-ft equivalent to the std class-legal dacron sail.
That price works when compared to the class legal sail but...

Given that this sail would not be class legal (and not subject to the same multi level profit markups that the class legal sail goes thru) it seems quite high when compared to the $200 pricing of the current non class legal sails... Sounds more like it is priced to what the market will bear as opposed to a a goal of value-added 'bang for the buck.'

bistros

Super Anarchist
That price works when compared to the class legal sail but...
Given that this sail would not be class legal (and not subject to the same multi level profit markups that the class legal sail goes thru) it seems quite high when compared to the $200 pricing of the current non class legal sails... Sounds more like it is priced to what the market will bear as opposed to a a goal of value-added 'bang for the buck.'
Jesus, let the guy make a few bucks here. It's not like he's Bill Gates charging $400 for a couple .50 cent CDs and a $1.50 manual in a shrink wrapped box that you get to "license", and not own. Hansen Aerosports is not Microsoft, and this guy has risked a lot of R&D time and some of his profits trying to come up with this product. If he sells a thousand units, then start your whinging about prices.

The price is not ridiculous, considering what the sail should be able to do for the hull. I don't know why people are willing to get screwed by some vendors and then unwilling to let North American small business make a profit. Maybe if Hansen sends the product to China, eliminates his skilled work force and R&D and then charges your $250.00 you'll be happy.

I hate price whinging when aimed at little vendors trying to sell innovative products, especially when their prices are not out of proportion for the benefit delivered. I'm just as cheap (or cheaper) than the next guy, but I target my cheapness at those that are overcharging for their products. Profitable, innovative small service-based businesses are critical to sailing in North America.

Roy Race

UK
Jesus, let the guy make a few bucks here. It's not like he's Bill Gates charging $400 for a couple .50 cent CDs and a $1.50 manual in a shrink wrapped box that you get to "license", and not own. Hansen Aerosports is not Microsoft, and this guy has risked a lot of R&D time and some of his profits trying to come up with this product. If he sells a thousand units, then start your whinging about prices.
The price is not ridiculous, considering what the sail should be able to do for the hull. I don't know why people are willing to get screwed by some vendors and then unwilling to let North American small business make a profit. Maybe if Hansen sends the product to China, eliminates his skilled work force and R&D and then charges your $250.00 you'll be happy.

I hate price whinging when aimed at little vendors trying to sell innovative products, especially when their prices are not out of proportion for the benefit delivered. I'm just as cheap (or cheaper) than the next guy, but I target my cheapness at those that are overcharging for their products. Profitable, innovative small service-based businesses are critical to sailing in North America.
"Price-whinging!!" That's brilliant!

TeamFugu

Super Anarchist
SLC, UT
At the price, the sail should be a deal. I'll bet you'll get two to three years out of the sail compared to the regatta or two for the class legal sail. I've not seen the after market sail in action so I can't say the difference there but at $200 it can't be too comparable. I've got mylar sails on my Swift and after six seasons, they still look good. A little wear on the bolt rope on the main but other than that, they still look good. My old Laser sail looked like totak crap at the end of one summer. At $500 per year for a laser sail, I'd have spent about twice what I did for the full set of sails for a Swift. Now where's the bang for your buck?