Lasers - Applying a Blow Torch

Foredeck Shuffle

More of a Stoic Cynic, Anarchy Sounds Exhausting
I was certainly not suggesting corruption. I listened online to the whole of the World Sailing meeting where the decision to keep the Laser in the Olympics was made. It was clear that many small World Sailing nations had Laser youth/development programs aimed at qualifying for the Olympics and felt that making a wholesale switch of those programs to the RS Aero was too costly a step for them.

Actually I don't know for sure if ILCA did any lobbying to keep the Laser in the Olympics for another 8 years, but I am giving them the credit for doing so anyway.
The second reason, development programs, makes sense. And I would expect that it would be the IOC organizing a backroom deal and forcing the ICLA into something, less than legal, not the ILCA initiating something.

Gouvernail

Lottsa people don’t know I’m famous
Austin Texas
His seems like a good place to drop this question:

The plug fell out of the top end of my new black plastic top section this evening.
No idea shy it took well over two years as it slides in and out with no noticeable resistance.
Is there supposed to be a rivet??
It turns out you guys are useless. The ILCA super half volunteer we couldn’t afford him if he charged real rates technical guy told me there shouid be a rivet and he is using my section’s serial number and tracking down how it got left out…

I suspect somebody simply made a boo boo… humans do that

I put in a rivet and I am done worrying about it

Bill5

Right now
Western Canada
It turns out you guys are useless. The ILCA super half volunteer we couldn’t afford him if he charged real rates technical guy told me there shouid be a rivet and he is using my section’s serial number and tracking down how it got left out…

Not totally useless, Gouv. I just don’t believe there are more than a few actual current Laser/ILCA sailors on this thread.

tillerman

Super Anarchist
Rhode Island
Not totally useless, Gouv. I just don’t believe there are more than a few actual current Laser/ILCA sailors on this thread.
I think you are in the wrong thread Gouv. This is the thread for people who want to pretend they are lawyers and to argue incessantly about microscopic details of the various lawsuits that have been flying around in the Laser/ILCA sailor world for the past few years. Plus Laser/ILCA sailors who hate LaserPerformance and/or ILCA, and Laser/ILCA sailors who want everyone to know they are ignoring this thread. And Bruce Hudson. Nobody knows why Bruce Hudson is here.

Technical advice for Laser/ILCA sailors about such questions as "Why did this thingie fall off my Laser/ILCA?" are answered in the "Why did this thingie fall off my Laser/ILCA?" thread. I am ignoring that thread because I now follow the "Why did this thingie fall off my RS Aero?" thread.

Foredeck Shuffle

You're not the only one. The white plastic cap pulled out of mine. I considered putting a rivet in it and decided I did not want to deal with metal sizzling away to be later drilled out and replaced. Two very small dabs of silicon on either side and popped it back in. Should be easy to remove some day, without a drill.

Gouvernail

Austin Texas
You're not the only one. The white plastic cap pulled out of mine. I considered putting a rivet in it and decided I did not want to deal with metal sizzling away to be later drilled out and replaced. Two very small dabs of silicon on either side and popped it back in. Should be easy to remove some day, without a drill.
As an old Class measurer ( there was nothing in the Constitution about ever un-being a measurer..
I feel obligated to keep my boat 100% class legal.
Ravi said rivet… I used rivet

Foredeck Shuffle

As an old Class measurer ( there was nothing in the Constitution about ever un-being a measurer..
I feel obligated to keep my boat 100% class legal.
Ravi said rivet… I used rivet
Mechanical bonding was preferred back in the days when chemical bonding was inferior in most use cases, so I'm guessing that is why it is in the rules. Today chemical bonding is often superior in use cases when surface area is significant and loads are not too high or direct. I understand class rules that specifically keep racing even in terms of performance and costs, but am weary of rules that serve no purpose. To me this appears to be such a rule.

The same carbon section is riveted at the cuff, but not on the bottom cap, I was planning on pulling it and putting silicon on there as well. Class rules now give pause. I'll rivet them if I ever return to the Laser Masters winter circuit in Florida but for now at local events on the Bay I'll leave the section unmolested.

Perhaps this is such an unnoticed rule that most, especially the builders, would like to remove rivets from the top of the top section, bottom of the top and bottom sections, and the gooseneck cap of the boom? If you reduced the depth of the boom end cap, it would not need a rivet either. Imagine not having to drill those out ever again? There is no performance difference, maintenance efforts reduced and rivet corrosion is eliminated in a few places, builder cost reduction is minimal but over time it all means something.

The one large negative I see in this is someone applying a lot of silicone and the cap will not budge without deforming the aluminum tube. Caps with smaller insert depth would eliminate this and lower the cost of the caps.

This is all just thinking out loud, I'm not a motivated enough class member to push any agenda.

Gouvernail

Austin Texas
Two things:
*I do not have any adhesives in my boat shop which will adhere to the white plastic plug.
* Holee shit!!! I didn’t even look at the bottom plug. If it, like the top, was only held by friction, it also probably will fall out when my mast is overheated under the canvas cover on a sunny 105° (40°) afternoon

Foredeck Shuffle

I had to sand down the bottom cap, then fine sand it to 2000, to get it to fit into the bottom sections I own. It would not fit 3 standards, 2 radials, and one 4.7, all class bottom sections. It still requires some twisting to get it in and out and that is with a lot of McLube applied into the bottom section.

This is all starting to sound rather crude.

Oh, and try eating a banana immediately after cycling, might help with the leg cramps.

Gouvernail

Austin Texas
I had to sand down the bottom cap, then fine sand it to 2000, to get it to fit into the bottom sections I own. It would not fit 3 standards, 2 radials, and one 4.7, all class bottom sections. It still requires some twisting to get it in and out and that is with a lot of McLube applied into the bottom section.

This is all starting to sound rather crude.

Oh, and try eating a banana immediately after cycling, might help with the leg cramps.
I was rather surprised by the cramps. I had eaten a banana and tomato along with done milk and juice as a late night snack. My body shouldn’t have been short on the right ingredients.
Unfortunately, I think I have to record this one as “old fat fella finds out he needs to get into better shape or die.”

Gouvernail

Austin Texas
My solution has been to sail every day since the cramp incident… no more cramps so far… and it is finally cool and breezy enough to go on today’s ride

Xeon

Super Anarchist
England
One has to be amused by the concept of ignoring a thread by regularly bumping it to the top of the list.
It’s a very amusing concept that’s totally in tune with the ethos of sailing anarchy. It would be totally wasted on y&y :) ;)

Latest posts