Learn to splice recommendation ?

V21

GA
Can anyone recommend any good books or you tube channels ?

Splicing for ham fisted half wits ?

mgs

canoeman
maine
Start with Hervey Garrett Smith’s ‘the arts of the sailor’ move on to his ‘marlinspike seamanship’ then Brion Toss’ ‘the complete riggers apprentice’

cant go wrong that route

sledracr

Super Anarchist
PNW, ex-SoCal
....and whatever method you decide to use, start your learning with some NEW double-braid.  Nothing laid too tight, nothing core-dependent, and for-sure nothing that has already carried a strain.  

Those things will do nothing but frustrate attempts to learn.

$.02

Al Paca

Super Anarchist
El Lay
....and whatever method you decide to use, start your learning with some NEW double-braid.  Nothing laid too tight, nothing core-dependent, and for-sure nothing that has already carried a strain.  

Those things will do nothing but frustrate attempts to learn.

$.02
If you start practicing with used Sta-setX, you can splice anything. 

2airishuman

The Loyal Opposition
I don't know if the videos are any good but I do know that it takes practice.

My first splices were awful.  I will probably never be as good as the people who do it for a living.

It takes me half an hour to do a splice.  Most of them are OK but not picture perfect.

Soho

Bermuda..
The Ronstan D splicer is a good tool to use.... I used to use the hollow tube fids, but the d splicer is much better.  

D Splicer or Toss wands for me. Either way, pulling waaaay better than pushing thru line
This ^^^^^

There are a few isolated cases where a a traditional fid is better than the D splicer pull method so to the OP it's good to have a set of fids too.  The solid Samson fids suck because they're too thick to fit through many types of line, especially since you often have to add a piece of tape to keep the line on the fid.   Get the hollow Selma fids which are thinner and you can set the line all the way inside the hollow fid and it has a hook to keep the line attached.

In order of preference:  1) D splicer 2) Selma hollow fids  and a very, very distant #3) Samson solid fids.

V21

GA
Since we are on the subject...  Would you consider using a lashing to connect two "mousing "splices together an appropriate solution for a continuous furling line. By mousing splices I mean to core is cut back and the outer braid is looped. I have only seen them on the end of sheets / halyards for mousing out purposes not for use under any load.

That said I like the idea of being able to separate the ends in case of emergency.

Capture.JPG

crankcall

Super Anarchist
Toronto
I'd start with some nice size 7/16 or 1/2 nylon double braid and make your first half dozen lines as new dock lines . Bigger line is easier to learn on, more room in the line and if its a set of dock lines that aren't the prettiest its not the end of the world. 

If you know a guy (that is not a proffessional getting paid to splice) that knows how, have him walk you through the process. I looked at the "transition point" on double braid where the core goes into the cover and the whole thing milks back into it self, well, it was magic, once shown it was clear as a bell.