Leech 6.5

trenace

Super Anarchist
Ocala, FL
Maybe there is more than can be found on his webpage. But from his webpage, looks like:

1) He's done some great work in 12 foot skiff and R class.

2) If he's designed anything else that's been built, it's not mentioned.

3) He has 6 new designs, of which this is one, that apparently have not seen water.

That said, one has to have strong talent to have accomplished what he has in those two classes, and his designs look interesting and I hope the best for them!

Last edited by a moderator:

trenace

Super Anarchist
Ocala, FL
Not quite sure this means we should be sending Rob Shaw to the old folks home yet though

(and not that the OP was saying we should.)

With no sport boats or even anything but skiffs apparently to his credit it would seem less than a 50% bet that the first sport boat will be beating all else. It's not even built yet. It's a virtual boat still.

Turkey Slapper

Super Anarchist
Queensland
No match for one of these!

/monthly_11_2011/post-2693-073685400%201321657315_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• Rlar foiler.jpg
    Rlar foiler.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 13

oregami 81

Looks good. The next 6.50 "missile "

Same sail area as Shaw 650 (point 2sqm dif)

Deeper keel

13 kilos heavier all up sailing weight including crew.

Bit narrower.

I'm sure Mr Leech will have some good kiwi skiff mates to sail it.

Only takes one boat to be built and be competitive against existing designs and interest will build ....

Hopefully someone with enough NZ pesos will give it a go.
smile.gif

crossa

seen the 8m dan leech being built heres an old piccie of it being built taken easter this year,in a secret location , going to be a fast machine by the looks of the lines, the builder built my young 780rocket many moons ago

/monthly_11_2011/post-30767-085024600%201321752604_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• sams camera#1 233.jpg
    sams camera#1 233.jpg
    547.4 KB · Views: 10

Tokyo Trash Baby

Super Anarchist
Brisbane
just got these from the designer. 6.5m underway aswell.

/monthly_11_2011/post-9614-067043000%201321848888_thumb.jpg

/monthly_11_2011/post-9614-002539300%201321848905_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• mold1.jpg
    mold1.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 13
  • mold2.jpg
    mold2.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 13

skiffboy

Anarchist
Hey Tokyo, I did quite a lot of work with Dan on commercial projects (ie power boats) back when I was in your neck of the woods. He definately has had a lot of experience in production and I'd say that the stated 150+ boats he's worked on would probably be an understatement if anything. Can't comment on his sail boats as it wasn't until right at the end when we realised we both sailed. And I know F-all about designing sail boats.

I remember there was a really detailed photo library of the L3 build on the unzud 12 website. Would give a good idea of how he goes about things I think?

itkiwi

Dunedin NZ
It was a surprise to find this! Kevin Farrar pointed me toward the thread. The first of these is sitting in my garage in Dunedin, NZ. I will put some pictures up tomorrow.

I have spend about 6 weeks on it so far - working in the evenings. As you can see from the picture above the mold is done - tomorrow's pictures will show the strips and foam are all on and I have spent a couple of evenings fairing.

If I had to give a rational reason as to why I ended up with this design I would struggle. I'm certainly pleased with it though and find Dan Leech great to work with. I have a 30' keelboat that I've raced and enjoyed for the past 10 years. in the last couple of years I have been using it for day sailing/racing rather than trips away during the holidays etc. I have begun to resent the time and money spent maintaining it too so started looking for a sport boat. There are plenty to choose from and being a kiwi the obvious place to start was a Shaw 650. I rejected this because I thought a bit extreme (light, fast, athletic crew work etc) given I'm 55. Further searching occurred - the GT6 in the UK, T-Boats, the Donovan 6m first seen on SA. The Donovan seemed like the way to go as it met lots of my criteria, sporty, a sprit, a bit more ballast than was typical. Unfortunately plans would not be available for a while and I wanted to get started. Dan Leech's name came up in a couple of conversations. He came up with design that you see now. Now it seems like I've gone round in a circle as many of the parameters of this boat match the Shaw - a design that I had rejected. So, I make no apology for my selection process save to say I'm please where I ended up.

The boat is progressing much as designed however we have decided to drop the adjustable keel - it will be fixed fore and aft. This doesn't mean I can't change my mind some time in the future or that another builder couldn't use this feature.

I'll document progress here rather than start a new thread but don't expect knowledgeable posts - I will be asking rather than answer questions.

/monthly_11_2011/post-35131-052863500%201321916845_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• L_650_SB_Render_2.jpg
    L_650_SB_Render_2.jpg
    157.5 KB · Views: 10

itkiwi

Dunedin NZ
This where I'm at today - fairing. Lots of mess on the floor of the garage. Rather than having to fair the hull it seems like I have to make it smooth without stuffing up the already fair hull. The cnc cut molds have made for a really fair hull already. The biggest problem seems to be the occasional plank that is 1 - 2 mm thin. The planks were sawn but not put through a thicknesser.

The molds came with slots precut and 500mm spacers also cnc cut. This meant I could erect the whole hull mold in the 2 hours my wife was away dog walking with her mates. It took about 12 hours to get it trued and the stringers on as in the pic above.

Rob

/monthly_11_2011/post-35131-071922700%201321948741_thumb.jpg

/monthly_11_2011/post-35131-001400300%201321948761_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• L650Fairing1.jpg
    L650Fairing1.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 13
  • L650Fairing2.jpg
    L650Fairing2.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 15

Tokyo Trash Baby

Super Anarchist
Brisbane
This where I'm at today - fairing. Lots of mess on the floor of the garage. Rather than having to fair the hull it seems like I have to make it smooth without stuffing up the already fair hull. The cnc cut molds have made for a really fair hull already. The biggest problem seems to be the occasional plank that is 1 - 2 mm thin. The planks were sawn but not put through a thicknesser.

The molds came with slots precut and 500mm spacers also cnc cut. This meant I could erect the whole hull mold in the 2 hours my wife was away dog walking with her mates. It took about 12 hours to get it trued and the stringers on as in the pic above.

Rob
interesting planking style. is it too hard to run the planks the whole length of the hull or is this how it was specified to do it?? looks good though!!

itkiwi

Dunedin NZ
The first plank was a mission - I tried lots of variations for the run of this one. In the end I ran 2 1/2 planks along the center line with the forward end tapered followed by two more 1/2 planks edge set around the chine. Running two more planks beside the center line was going to be difficult due to the large amount of twist at the bow so I put the diagonal planks on as they didn't need to be twisted or side set. After that I ran either diagonal or center-line planks dependent on which needed the least twist until I got to the point where center-line planks were good all the way down to the chine. The designer said he'd "never seen it done that way" - but seemed fine with it when he visited recently. The layout has caused no issued with the fairing.