Lewmar 30 st single speed. REPAIR

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
Post pictures?

I think  you mean  the upper part of the drum that rides on the roller bearings of the center spindle?

Unless you have access to a cheap machine shop it might be better to find a donor winch that is not working or get a used one from Bacon's. 

SockeyeUS119

Super Anarchist
Aluminum. Upper part of drum that rides on roller bearings, check. Have access to machine shop. Winches are rare old Lewmar single speed 30ST.  I have four from my IOR winch farm. I am probably going to sell them and want an answer if someone get that deep upon examination. They don’t rattle or wobble. Drum wall seems to be about 3/16 to 1/4 thick. 

Moonduster

Super Anarchist
Those drums had an anodized surface that rode on the stainless steel roller bearings. Once the anodization is gone, the deterioration can be slowed but not stopped.

A good machine shop might be able to turn and sleeve, but there's really very little meat to the drum bearing surface when they're new.

I'd suggest they've done their miles and are ready for the recycling bin.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
Maybe use a cylinder hone on the drum interior to smooth it out. Then heat the drum, freeze these in dry ice, and then insert into drum. Designed to repair all sorts of shafts and come in a huge range of sizes. 304 s.s. There are many makers of these so look around to get exact size you need. Measure inside dia. of drum with an inside micrometer.

http://daemar.com/shaft_repair_sleeves_17/

Latest posts