Lewmar Vs Spinlock line Clutch

Overbored

Anarchist
So. Cal
Do the Lewmars hold any better then the Spinlocks. I have Spinlock XTS on the halyards on my First 30 and they slip just the same as they do on most other boats I have sailed. Do the Lewmar DC 2 hold any better. Maybe the New Spinlock XTR will hold a halyard like they should.

Se7en

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Have you tried pulling the jaws out of the clutches and filing or using a dremmel to put edges on the grooves?

Was an annual task for me on a previous 50" I crewed on

Will wear the halyards more, but you can get them to grip.

Mikel_new

Bilbao
Do the Lewmars hold any better then the Spinlocks. I have Spinlock XTS on the halyards on my First 30 and they slip just the same as they do on most other boats I have sailed. Do the Lewmar DC 2 hold any better. Maybe the New Spinlock XTR will hold a halyard like they should.
The design of the lewmar is better in my view, but at the end of the day the XTS holds better, in my experience. We did change an XTC for the main halyard for a D2, then back to a new XTC.

Just make sure that both the cam and the base teeth are in good shape. Otherwise replace them.

I have never yet seen an XTR, but would expect them to be better than all the rest.

Best,

Merit 25

Super Anarchist
VA and MD USA
Spinlock

XAS= 1270 lbs

XTS= 2200 lbs

XTR= 2200 lbs cam module, and different features.

XCS= 2200 lbs small diameter.

XX = 3968 lbs

XXC= 5180 lbs

Lewmar

DC1 = 880 lbs

DC2 = 2650 lbs

The lewmars can be released under load, even eased under load without tearing the line to shreds. Holding power isn't the same though.

Are you absolutely certain that your halyards are slipping in the sheet stoppers rather than stretching? A 40-50 ft halyard that is not an ULS line can stretch noticeably when under tension.

ctutmark

Super Anarchist
PNW
Also if the halyard is hoisted with the clutch closed it will milk the cover toward the sail end of the line, Once under load it is not uncommon to see the core slide back and take the slack out of the cove

Overbored

Anarchist
So. Cal
this is a new clutch that replaced a smaller clutch on two year old 5/16" Warpspeed line. and it does not move if left on the winch. the cover and core are stitched together in the area of the clutch jaws for about 12" in front of the clutch, the rest of the cover is stripped off. I marked the line and it is slipping through the clutch while sailing.

Max Rockatansky

holy fuckfarts!
I have Warpspeed, and the Antals that I had let the line slip.

I don't know whether you can, but I absolutely fixed my line slipping by installing Constrictor clutches. Have had em for (I think) two years and they work flawlessly.

RImike

Super Anarchist
Newport RI
The clutches are rated for metric, and if your using imperial line that is going to be an (or the) issue. If the clutch is rated for 10mm (.393"), and your using 3/8 line (.375") it might not slip when new, but as the cover shrinks down it's going to allow for line slippage.

Clutches you can open under load, jammers you can't, the trade off is that jammers have a higher holding power over clutches. The Constrictors are not clutches (even though Ronstan calls them that), they are jammers,

Last edited by a moderator:

Overbored

Anarchist
So. Cal
The clutches are rated for metric, and if your using imperial line that is going to be an (or the) issue. If the clutch is rated for 10mm (.393"), and your using 3/8 line (.375") it might not slip when new, but as the cover shrinks down it's going to allow for line slippage.

Clutches you can open under load, jammers you can't, the trade off is that jammers have a higher holding power over clutches. The Constrictors are not clutches (even though Ronstan calls them that), they are jammers,
I am using 8mm or 5/16" line and they are the same size. the nominal size of any line is never the exact size as the call out anyway . Why do you say constrictors are not clutches. The constrictors can be opened under load just like a clutch.

RImike

Super Anarchist
Newport RI

I am using 8mm or 5/16" line and they are the same size. the nominal size of any line is never the exact size as the call out anyway . Why do you say constrictors are not clutches. The constrictors can be opened under load just like a clutch.
New England ropes are usually spot on. When they say 8mm, they stay 8mm as they have been steamed when produced to reduce the shrinkage, The Samson Warp Speed come in at their size and shrink down a bit (this might be different with the latest version of the warpspeed as I noticed there is a different cover braid, possible different production method).

The Warp speed when brand new is 5/16", however it will and does shrink down. 5/16" = 7.9 mm so your already smaller than the 8mm of the clutch. Say for example the clutches are rated for 8-14mm, and you are using 5/16" line, it would be best to use the next size down (6-10mm)

I tried releaseing a halyard under load with the constrictor and could not, it is possible I tried it on an earlier model and the latest version has since changed that permits it to release under load. .

CaptainAhab

Anarchist
South Australia
I bring my nice little brass inch/metric caliper when buying line. Nothing measures what its marked. Nothing. I mean to say nothing. The Lewmars are correct when they spec minimum 8mm line. 7.5mm slips like a banshee. 7mm doesn't know its in a jammer.

Max Rockatansky

holy fuckfarts!
The Warpspeed lines on my boat are about three years old.

I sized the Constrictor clutches (Ronstan) to the sizes that Samson specified for the lines.

It has been two years, the application is on a 40' catamaran (read: high loads, esp with reefs in) and they, for the two years I've had these Constrictors installed, DO NOT SLIP if used properly. If I am in high winds/reefing, as I bring the halyard in, I milk the Constrictor cover down a bit before releasing the halyard line from the winch.

I don't have dedicated winches (I only have two winches for nine lines) and so I can't leave lines on a winch, therefore my clutches cannot slip, and Constrictors do not slip.

Last edited by a moderator:

solosailor

Super Anarchist
San Francisco Bay
But the constrictors CAN be released, easily, under load and they don't slip nor eat up your line.

Latest posts