Lewmar Winches

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
I have a pair of Lewmar 16ST winches with plastic/composite/whatever material ST jaws that have faded from black to pale grey.

Does anyone know of a "miracle product" that will restore them to black?

Strictly a cosmetic condition - they work fine.

I've tried a few things - Back to Black, plastic polish, tire shine, various solvents etc but nothing has worked.

Anybody?

phill_nz

Super Anarchist
internet atm
depends how absorbent the ' plastic ' is

many things you can try

permanent ink ( spirit marker / printers ink / indian ink )

silver nitrate

my favoured option would be

not to give a shit .. it was grey all along

IanA.

Anarchist
Amsterdam
I just did this with some Lewmar 44s that sat outside for a couple years.

First I used Seapower color restorer. The trick is to let a thick layer sit for a 10 minutes or so on the part. It helps to dissolve/soften the oxidation layer. And be generous with the amount you use.

Then really polish it out hard with a good rag and work it good deep like until all the grit is away. You can repeat this step a few times until its back to the darkness you like.

Next, coat liberally in 303. Rub it in good and coat a few times. The plastic will go a bit darker and hold its color. 303 is the greatest thing ever for plastics. 

image.png

Gouvernail

Lottsa people don’t know I’m famous
Austin Texas
Liquid Gold furniture polish liberally applied makes black plastic like Harken blocks  look shiny for a while.

Also, TriFlow lubricant shines them up for a while. 

Last edited by a moderator:

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Liquid Gold furniture polish liberally applied makes black plastic like Harken blocks  look shiny for a while.
We have a winner.

I tried everything suggested as well as a number of other things and nothing worked - the best I could get was to even out the blotchiness of the grey.

The pic shows the difference using Liquid Gold.

Note: the grey winch has photographed exceedingly well - it doesn't look nearly that good IRL.

Now I just have to see if it lasts long enough to be worth bothering with - even my OCD has its limits.

Thanks Gouv.

DSCN0793.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

DDW

Super Anarchist
I think removing the winches and reinstalling Andersens would take care of that, permanently. As a bonus, they work better. 

mgs

canoeman
maine
Andersen winches aren’t that expensive compared to other brands. You won’t see a 2 for 1 deal but customer service is pretty good, even in the states 

DDW

Super Anarchist
For example, an Andersen 28st is $900 and a Lewmar 30st is $1100. Andersen 40st is $1050 and a Lewmar 40st is $1350 - all street prices. But if you already own the Lewmars, then it's sunk cost....

On function, I'll take the Andersens, even if they were substantially more. 

weightless

Super Anarchist
I think removing the winches and reinstalling Andersens would take care of that, permanently. As a bonus, they work better. 
Depends on the particular Andersen winch. I'm not sure about the new stock but some old Andersen 28sts had a plastic spring cover that didn't last long in the tropics. I had a buddy with a side gig making replacements and I see Defender stocks them.

DDW

Super Anarchist
That's why you order the "all stainless" version. It doesn't have the plastic bit on top.