Lidgard 29 - what does the collective know?

Jono

Super Anarchist
They are a good little boat. In NZ they had some stiff competition around the same time, the Whiting 29, Carpenter 29 and Farr 9.2 were all generally in the same vein and all had a number of boats built. Then the Young 88 and Noelex 30 were the next step up in performance.
A mix of factory finished vs owner fit out, and a few with ply/glassed cabins and decks.
A solid little cruiser racer. No vices. Relatively modest rig, but also an easily driven hull. Therefore cheap to run as small sails and small motors are all that are required.
Compared to a modern boat - less volume interior due to less beam aft, and lower topsides.
Falls into the surf on a wave category downwind.
Make sure it has a folding prop.

Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
Thanks - one was brought in to the US by a Lidgard fan and fellow club member - longtime Transpac aficionado, the late Don Clothier - it's fallen on rough times but I always liked that one, think we might have to try saving it before it becomes a harbor liveaboard.

About the only thing that worries me is the saildrive, and that fishing pole they used for a mast section

greasy al

Anarchist
I owned a Lidgard 29 designed by Duthie Lingard in the early 2000's. Strip plank cedar I recall. Lovely boat, not as tender as you would think. The mast is fine for what it was designed for, but I wouldn't try a masthead kite without putting some jumpers on it.

The missus and I day sailed/cruised it for a few years before kids came along. Never raced it and never had the budget to make any serious changes. Replaced the rudder bearings, and the 80's rod with dyform, I recall the spacing for the turnbuckles was quite tight and we had to get Sea Rig turnbuckles from NZ. Pulling the rig out was annoyingly difficult as the mast had become jammed into the shoe so we had to unbolt the shoe , lift the mast and bash the shoe off with a hammer.

Bear in mind it's built in the 80's so the deck is most likely wet, there were a few soft spots in the deck and that was 20 years ago.

Really nice to sail, responsive and easy to go 2 up. Again, performance won't be anywhere near a modern 30 footer, but you know that.

Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
Thanks - if any resources for the design turn up - specs, sailplan, stories, anything - please share. Can't find jack on them here.

Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
Thanks, did.

20220712_105550.jpg

Latest posts