Life Vests?

Roam

I'm hoping to start dinghy sailing soon and was wondering what sort of life vests you would recommend. As a noob I admit to knowing nothing but I expect I would want something low profile that didn't restrict movement. Starting off I'll be mostly sailing on the Potomac river.

Thanks,

Hugh

Roam

I'm a decent swimmer, I used to be a strong swimmer but I'm older and more well rounded then I used to be. ;)

I'd like to get vests not just for myself about also for friends and family.

I'll look into the Neil Pryde.

thanks,

Hugh

Claire1000

Anarchist
Waco, TX
I am a strong swimmer. On a dinghy I wear a vest unless the wind is almost nothing. Once somebody gets hit by a boom and drowns next to you, it takes that off the life jacket not wearing thought table. Just wear the vest. Yes it's slightly hot and slightly uncomfortable. Wear the vest. 

I am a strong swimmer. On a dinghy I wear a vest unless the wind is almost nothing. Once somebody gets hit by a boom and drowns next to you, it takes that off the life jacket not wearing thought table. Just wear the vest. Yes it's slightly hot and slightly uncomfortable. Wear the vest. 
Or, if that doesn't do it for you, I wear a PFD when dinghy sailing because I want the extra buoyancy for when I capsize.  It makes it easier to do things in the water (uncleat lines, whatever), without the extra effort of having to also tread water while you're doing it.

Gouvernail

Lottsa people don’t know I’m famous
Austin Texas
I found a nifty fisherman's vest at Walmart for $25. The thing has huge arm holes for easy movement and lots of pockets for munchies, gloves, drain plug, cell phone in a waterproof case in triple zip lock bags , sailing instructions, sunscreen, feces to throw at landt....

even little water bottles might fit but I carry  water on a bungee in the cockpit. 

blastoff

There are some good kayaking branded ones.

Whatever the case, for dinghies I like life vests that don't have a ton of straps and lines exposed as I found that tended to get caught on things.

I found a nifty fisherman's vest at Walmart for $25. The thing has huge arm holes for easy movement and lots of pockets for munchies, gloves, drain plug, cell phone in a waterproof case in triple zip lock bags , sailing instructions, sunscreen, feces to throw at landt....

even little water bottles might fit but I carry  water on a bungee in the cockpit. 
This forum needs a like button!

Roam

Thanks for all the advice. Should I concern myself with USCG approval of the vests? The ZHIKs look practical but aren't USCG approved.

Any reason not to use a horse shoe type of vest like the Eyson manually inflating life vest? I understand it wont help if you're knocked unconscious but replacing the C02 canister of an automatically inflating life vest doesn't seem practical especially if you capsize more than once a day.

thanks,

Hugh

us7070

Super Anarchist
the wingman looks nice, but $225 is a lot for an inshore pfd

the spinlock lite is available for ~$150

still, i think the wingman looks better, and i may get one

cavi

Red Bluff Ca
I wear the zhik

My wife loves the co2 horseshoes, I wore them awhile, but got tierd of replacing cartriges, as they go off every time you flip or get out of the boat to launch or dock...

cavi

Red Bluff Ca
that hyde wingman looks nice, but if your boat has a boom I would not suggest it as you have to pull the rip chord to inflate it, if you are unconsious because the boom smacked you you are sol......  If that is the case go with the zhik