lighter than a flower pot for last ditch winter heating

dylan winter

Super Anarchist
came across this while looking to bulk buy meths from ebay.

s-l1600.jpg

I have the Taylor diesel but I cannot run it when the main is up as I get a backdraft from the main blowing down the chimny and it starts working in reverse. It works fine with the just the fore and aft set up though.

I do run the maxi metho stove with a flower pot on it while sailing which seems to allow it to radiate more heat to the cabin rather than having it just go stright up and out the offset companionway door.

Or, I could cut some holes in a large tine can.

Dylan

PS I do have a CO monitor

Startracker

Van Isl.
came across this while looking to bulk buy meths from ebay.

I have the Taylor diesel but I cannot run it when the main is up as I get a backdraft from the main blowing down the chimny and it starts working in reverse. It works fine with the just the fore and aft set up though.

I do run the maxi metho stove with a flower pot on it while sailing which seems to allow it to radiate more heat to the cabin rather than having it just go stright up and out the offset companionway door.

Or, I could cut some holes in a large tine can.

Dylan

PS I do have a CO monitor
No local meths dealers left out your way?  Lucky, they're a real pest around here!  

Kandle Heeter.   Could stick that on your burner too!  http://heatstick.com/_KanHeet01.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

robtoujours

Anarchist
Somewhere
What are you wasting your time for?

These do just fine in a small cabin hanging from the ceiling somewhere and are very low hassle:

marine-oil-lamps-a-traditional-look.webp

A Tilley lamp would put out even more heat but they are a lot more faff and heavy. 

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
The problem with unvented heaters is they aren't vented. So when you burn fuel you also generate extra water vapour. Hot gases can absorb lots of water vapour - for a bit. The hot exhaust hits cold windows, cools down, and condenses all that water you have just created.

It's a damp heat.

image.png

robtoujours

Anarchist
Somewhere
Yes, which is why I use my Autoterm (same as Eberspacher) heater with an exhaust out the transom. 

Figured this is an emergency situation though. 

When shore power is available I have been known to use a smallish AC oil radiator heater. 

Beats lugging peat briquettes and coal for the solid fuel stove anyway

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
When shore power is available I have been known to use a smallish AC oil radiator heater. 
I used those while I was living aboard. They're great. (Somewhat) less dangerous than the hot element forced air heaters.

While @Zonker is correct that burning an unvented butane or propane heater will expel some moisture into the cabin, you have to take the ambient humidity into account. I live on the Chesapeake which is quite humid and it has been damp this winter. I've run my unvented propane heater for hours in the sealed cabin while doing winter projects and it's never caused condensation of the type that runs down the cabin bulkheads or turns the towels wet.

I think Dylan will be fine. 

climenuts

Anarchist
PNW
A human is ~0.2lb/hr of moisture when resting. Propane is 1.6lb moisture per pound of propane burned (refer to Zonker's stoichiometry). 1lb of propane is 21,600 BTU (6.3kW) of heat (7% is moisture) while a human outputs 400 BTU/hr (100W) at rest (50% being moisture).

So breath is much less moisture addition but propane is much less per unit heat.

Jim in Halifax

Super Anarchist
Nova Scotia
...I've run my unvented propane heater for hours in the sealed cabin while doing winter projects and it's never caused condensation of the type that runs down the cabin bulkheads or turns the towels wet.

I think Dylan will be fine. 
I hope that you have a good CO detector so that you will be fine too.

My new boat has a Wabasto 5500 diesel heater installed I am enjoying it right now. Work’s very well. The ductwork runs under the bunks and worms the bunks also. 

5051C385-91CA-4B39-8E83-8FC6315D6C02.jpeg

AnIdiot

Second Drawer
Met office forecast for Tobermory (chosen only as a reference point for typical Scottish West coast weather) has sleet showers late Saturday (to be fair, it would have been dark for hours by 18:30, so not much opportunity to film then, anyway) and gusts to 44 knots on Sunday. temperature, with windchill factored in, about -3C.

Not ideal for film-making under sail.

It's sleeting steadily outside my window at the moment... wait, no: I think it's turning to wet snow...  though not lying yet. My boat's in the water and I was planning to head up to do some pre season fettling... not feeling too keen on the idea right now.

Latest posts