Lionel Lemonchois - La Mauricienne

edouard

Super Anarchist
Sorry to question your authority on this subject. You didn't answer the question, but I'll leave you to it.
And I was serious about not dragging it onto the forums, but you never replied, and I always wondered why. All I was asking was what your sources are for your info, because some of it sounds like pure conjecture. Didn't mean it to sound like harassment, and I apologize for that.
In both cases my "authority" comes from reading articles here or elsewhere. I sometimes (or even often) am wrong and when stand corrected by facts try to swallow my pride and thank my "corrector".

I didn't respond simply because this being a public forum I believe we all gain at having public disagreements insofar that onlookers with further info may intervene one way or the other to the benefit of all. It's so obvious to me I didn't even bother to consider further. In the specific case your message was about, someone else would have probably pointed out that I was mainly synthesizing information available on other threads of this forum.

r.finn

Super Anarchist
Thank you for clarifying that. I now have a better context in which to read your posts.

What the comment about Prince de Bretagne means, is that the boat was designed to win the RDR knowing full well which boats he'll be competing against. So you're suggestion that Lionel has no faith his boat can compete with the larger tris seems unlikey. Maybe VPLP was like " Sure Lionel, we'll take your sponsor's money, but you won't beat our 2010 winning design". They must have had some faith in their new design though.

edouard

Super Anarchist
Thank you for clarifying that. I now have a better context in which to read your posts.

What the comment about Prince de Bretagne means, is that the boat was designed to win the RDR knowing full well which boats he'll be competing against. So you're suggestion that Lionel has no faith his boat can compete with the larger tris seems unlikey. Maybe VPLP was like " Sure Lionel, we'll take your sponsor's money, but you won't beat our 2010 winning design". They must have had some faith in their new design though.
He may have a faith in his boat in a race, which is very different from a record. In the later case you place yourself in specific conditions, whereas in the former you deal with whatever is thrown at you. Being smaller and easier to handle than the larger boats he may have a point when the going gets rough.

I can only notice that the boat "designed for the RdR" is currently trying to beat a record to Ile Maurice, while a tri designed to race with a crew and modified for solo racing is currently doing ... "la route de la decouverte". If Lionel really had faith in his boat he would be doing this record which has a route very similar to the RdR.

For the rest I will never underestimate the PR BS of every team. Prince de Bretagne is essentially a modified ORMA 60, and Lionel would probably have loved a budget to build a brand new 100 footer but didn't get it :) . The same can be said of Sodebo's acquisition of Geronimo. They had their eyes on G3, but Banque Populaire was faster and they settled on modifying the "dinosaur" :) . Same for VPLP modifying PdB or Multiplast modifying Geronimo. Of course they will do the job, it's not like they have thousands of customers eager to design/build high priced racing machinery. They will do whatever their client asks, and may even be honest enough to tell their client "you won't beat our 2010 winning design" with this.

Last edited by a moderator:

r.finn

Super Anarchist
You are making a huge number of assumptions which I disagree with, but given what you said above, I won't bother you about it anymore. Take care.

-R

semelis

Anarchist
According to their website, Prince the Bretagne keeps the cross-arms, mast and sail plan and related stuff, and dagger board and foils and rudders of the ORMA.

The 3 hulls are brand new, almost as long as the floats of Idec or Sodebo. PdB weights 7.5 Tm, Sodebo 12 Tm.

And for the little while that Thomas and Lionel have been going down in parallel, PdB has been faster.

Even if Lionel when contacted by radio has dismissed the importance of this in account of Sodebo being loaded for a Round the World and he having to do less than half the distance. How much does 40 days of extra dehydrated food weight ? Which impact will this weight have on a 12 Tm boat ?

The Maurice record is relatively easy to grasp, the Discovery Route is not: Thomas and Joyon have been at it for a while, and you need a very good weather window to get a decent try to beat Joyon's last run.

Maybe PdB/Lionel were not willing to wait for a window that could not appear and decided to have a better oportunity at both: trying (=training & exposure) and succeeding (=happy sponsor), with the Maurice.

Maybe Lionel and Armel throw a coin to see who was going to try what.

There are too many factors to make this kind of decision unknown to me to draw any conclusions from it.

Rumour is that Geronimo is getting new hulls at Multiplast and appears to only be retaining the beam structure I'm not sure if that was the initial intention or not but it appears that it will be a more thorough rebuild than what was originally suggested.

aac0235d65a530bfd795bbb067175994.png

It looks like Coville is making his way towards Lemonchois

"Après avoir déclenché sa balise de détresse en milieu d’après midi à 800 milles au large des côtes Brésiliennes ce lundi, Lionel Lemonchois a eu un bref contact téléphonique avec son équipe à terre en soirée.

Ce dernier a informé, que son multicoque avait chaviré, qu’il était en sécurité à l’intérieur de la coque centrale après avoir libéré le gréement afin de soulager le bateau."

After triggering the beacon mid afternoon 800 miles off the Brazilian coast on Monday, Lionel Lemonchois had a brief telephone contact with his team ashore in the evening.
He informed that his capsized multihull, he was safe inside the central hull after releasing the rig to relieve the boat.

It will be interesting to see how the recovery operation will play out a slow tow upside down to Brazil? Then transport by ship to Lorient for repairs? It's going to be tough to have the boat ready for the Route du Rhum now.