Liteboat xp20

Ventucky Red

Super Anarchist
Leave up to you Scandinavians to incorporate a sailboat and row boat into one...  :lol: :D :p :)   Guess it must be in your Viking DNA..

Didn't one of these do the R2AK?

In answer to your question... no, but it looks fun.

PB2207

Chicago
Looks pretty cool, similar to the 3-in-1 concepts popular in many areas, just more modern (minus the motor option obviously, so I guess a 2-in-1 but I'm sure someone will eventually slap a trolling motor on the back of one). Seems like a fun option for something like the Watertribe EC and other expedition style races. That price tag though, yikes...

Last edited by a moderator:

Fred72

Sweden
Leave up to you Scandinavians to incorporate a sailboat and row boat into one...  :lol: :D :p :)   Guess it must be in your Viking DNA..

Didn't one of these do the R2AK?

In answer to your question... no, but it looks fun.
Agree! As a trimaran owner this was completely out of my scope but looking into the utube clips this could suit travelleing and archipelago sailing perfectly. Light and simple likely means more sailing at least for me. 
saw a motor attachement in one on the pictures so 3 in 1. 
seems to be a very decent sailor?
yes very hefty price

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Looks low and wet.

I like the camp-aboard arrangement, the simplified rig, and would like to see the centerboard arrangement. Is it ballasted?

Rowing.... a plus.

Would be interesting to do a comparison against a Dovekie, which is the only other boat I know in this category.

FB- Doug

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
Silly marketng language notwithstanding, that boat jas ZERO pulling boat DNA. It is 100% sailboat. Sure, they put some oars on it and thwre is nothing wrong with that. But (fortunately) it is not a compromise design.

Fred72

Sweden
Silly marketng language notwithstanding, that boat jas ZERO pulling boat DNA. It is 100% sailboat. Sure, they put some oars on it and thwre is nothing wrong with that. But (fortunately) it is not a compromise design.
Agree. Seems very much like a sailboat and seems to sail well with the gennaker.
Seems to row well too but I really cant judge that. I would put a torqeedo on it :)

Approx same money as a beneteau first 18 SE would be fun to hear your views on this. 
Theres a video of its righting moment, seems very efficient but have not manage to see the keel arrangement in any pics. 

The Dovekie looks great and at a tenth of the price. But the rig looks very dated. Maybe this could be upgraded though and still have plenty of money left. 

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
Agree. Seems very much like a sailboat and seems to sail well with the gennaker.
Seems to row well too but I really cant judge that. I would put a torqeedo on it :)

Approx same money as a beneteau first 18 SE would be fun to hear your views on this. 
Theres a video of its righting moment, seems very efficient but have not manage to see the keel arrangement in any pics. 

The Dovekie looks great and at a tenth of the price. But the rig looks very dated. Maybe this could be upgraded though and still have plenty of money left. 
Dovekie totally different animal. Performance? Slower than a lightni g most of the time. Sail Area of a 1920s inland international 14. Nominally 100 lb livjter than lifhting on same waterline.

Very simple self vanging leg o mutton 

This other thing is a dinghy sportboat

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Dovekie totally different animal. Performance? Slower than a lightni g most of the time. Sail Area of a 1920s inland international 14. Nominally 100 lb livjter than lifhting on same waterline.

Very simple self vanging leg o mutton 

This other thing is a dinghy sportboat
Well, the idea is to compare like to like, simple boat with some provision for shelter with both sail and oars.

Fred72's idea of getting a Dovekie and working to improve the rig seems like a good idea to me, but not sure what direction to take it that won't result in more difficulty with one operation or the other... I have never rowed a Dovekie but I have cruised in company with one. Striking the sail and rowing literally takes longer to describe than to do, and the rig stows neatly within the length of the boat (which it doesn't look like the Liteboatxp20 can do).

Yeah they're kinda pokey, especially beating into a chop.

It would be very interesting to get a benchmark of the Liteboat's sailing and rowing performance. There's not much holding it back, when rowing, but the hull shape and centerboard trunk will be very noticeably more drag-y than the shells.

Although I really like the looks of their offshore double, too.

FB- Doug

Fred72

Sweden
Well, the idea is to compare like to like, simple boat with some provision for shelter with both sail and oars.

Fred72's idea of getting a Dovekie and working to improve the rig seems like a good idea to me, but not sure what direction to take it that won't result in more difficulty with one operation or the other... I have never rowed a Dovekie but I have cruised in company with one. Striking the sail and rowing literally takes longer to describe than to do, and the rig stows neatly within the length of the boat (which it doesn't look like the Liteboatxp20 can do).

It would be very interesting to get a benchmark of the Liteboat's sailing and rowing performance. There's not much holding it back, when rowing, but the hull shape and centerboard trunk will be very noticeably more drag-y than the shells.

FB- Doug
Scaling down to simplify and have more sailing than fixing so maybe I should not take on another rigg/boat fixing project but the idea struck me

yes seems a bit low and wet but guess the designer has some clever ideas around that

A

Amati

FB- Doug
Lite has a two piece mast, IIRR.  Great design DNA…. Put a Torqeedo outboard (w/ a remote throttle & 2 batteries) on it?  W/ a roll up solar panel, of course, and an assym.  It’s only money….. :rolleyes:

Whitehall and Angus would work too.  There was one guy from Eastern Washington that used the lines of a Nethercott to make a similar craft.  

there's this too

https://www.clcboats.com/modules/catalog/boat.php?category_qn=wooden-sailboat-kits&subcat_qn=proa&code=madness-31-foot-pacific-proa

17A6FCDC-1C9B-4C6E-A37D-6CF2A8DD12CA.jpeg

Last edited:

CrazyR

The boat was in 2021 Everglades Challenge. Team Higgins and Yde35. It was pretty rough weather. They were in the leading pack (3-5, 2nd in the class) boat up until 20 miles from the finish, when they broke the mast. Finished under oars. It took them day and a half to row last 20 miles into SCA headwinds. 
Finished in respectful 4 days 1 hour time. Still 2nd in the class, 8th overall. 
so, I guess, the boat works well as designed. 

A

Amati

The boat was in 2021 Everglades Challenge. Team Higgins and Yde35. It was pretty rough weather. They were in the leading pack (3-5, 2nd in the class) boat up until 20 miles from the finish, when they broke the mast. Finished under oars. It took them day and a half to row last 20 miles into SCA headwinds. 
IIRR, during the R2ak, when the wind was over 35(?), they didn’t go out with the sail up- boat not designed for sailing in that.  Mast acts as a fuse? No reefs?  With a 2 piece mast, I suppose you could carry a sail built for the lower mast only, or maybe go to a 3 piece mast, like the Force 5 class, with a smaller sail for a two section setup.  FWIW, the sail I have for the F5 mast is sleeved with a zipper, and has a halyard.

A

Amati

IIRR, during the R2ak, when the wind was over 35(?), they didn’t go out with the sail up- boat not designed for sailing in that.  Mast acts as a fuse? No reefs?  With a 2 piece mast, I suppose you could carry a sail built for the lower mast only, or maybe go to a 3 piece mast, like the Force 5 class, with a smaller sail for a two section setup.  FWIW, the sail I have for the F5 mast is sleeved with a zipper, and has a halyard.

here’s the Angus- not as quick to set up, more conservative sailplan

BB2BCD5A-613B-4524-86E0-2EE5D1272AEC.jpeg

A

Amati

This might work-slider (I think), with the nets not messed with when the hulls are in- short mast, probably fairly quick set up.  Not a production boat though

59917D65-4178-4B37-8E05-66DB8792611D.jpeg

ekerebel

Hello,

I raced r2ak 2018 and ec2021 with a LiteXP 20. I can only say good things about the boat. 

It sails very well, especially with the Gennaker up. As you would expect for a boat this size, and as a sailer, rowing os painful but you can still sustain 3kts average over a pretty long period of time. We were still able to make progress with 20-30kts in the face during the last 20NM of the ec2021. Some people have installed electric motors and I hear they work great, just not my thing. I also try to keep the boat as light as possible.

We broke the mast because of a modificationI had done on the mast, not a design flaw or a fuse concept, just a poorly designed alteration on my end.

My friend Mathieu just finished 1st in class at the Vegvisir race in Denmark, in front of seascape 18s, Ultimate 20s.

Again, great little boat, happy to answer questions you guys might have.