Live Oak

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
I have a few or so Live Oaks that need to come down.
Good 20-26" boles, with a nice sweep to them. Good for small frames, sheer clamps, or cap rails. Also a bunch of crotches that would make fine breast hooks,hanging knees, or quarter knees.
After I drop them, I'll paint the ends, and keep them off the ground. If anyone wants them, I can have them milled, or leave them round. All free except what it costs to mill and ship. That's up to you.
I just don't want to turn it in to fire wood, because no one appreciates good fire wood around here anyway!
PM me and we'll set something up.

IStream

Super Anarchist
If you weren't as far away from me as you can get in the continental US, I'd jump on this in a jiff!

Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Super Anarchist
New England
I have a few or so Live Oaks that need to come down.
Good 20-26" boles, with a nice sweep to them. Good for small frames, sheer clamps, or cap rails. Also a bunch of crotches that would make fine breast hooks,hanging knees, or quarter knees.
After I drop them, I'll paint the ends, and keep them off the ground. If anyone wants them, I can have them milled, or leave them round. All free except what it costs to mill and ship. That's up to you.
I just don't want to turn it in to fire wood, because no one appreciates good fire wood around here anyway!
PM me and we'll set something up.
Cool!

Try reaching out to Mystic Seaport.

bridhb

Super Anarchist
Jax, FL
Hope they go to a good cause. I planted 3 of them (and a half dozen cypress) 20 years ago and I found myself looking at them for "sawn frames" the other day.

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Hope they go to a good cause. I planted 3 of them (and a half dozen cypress) 20 years ago and I found myself looking at them for "sawn frames" the other day.

I've planted a bunch of live oak in our yard over the years (1/2 acre suburban lot). It was covered with overgrown pines when we bought it, now we have a magnificent magnolia out front... this may be the year i turn it into a Christmas tree, gotta figure out the staging... and now has about 10 bald cypress and about 15 live oaks complete with Spanish moss.

It will be a couple more decades before they will make good boat material though.

bridhb

Super Anarchist
Jax, FL
I planted the cypress along the banks of a pond. I always wanted my own cypress swamp. Man, they took off...and so did the knees!

CD10.jpg

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Mystic might want them, I'm sure the CORONET could absorb a few more Naval Live Oaks for knees.

Not far from where I live on the Alabama Gulf there is a National Seashore Park that has been a source of Naval Live Oaks for ship and boatbuilding for centuries. After one of our hurricanes had downed many of the old growth Live Oaks I contacted the IYRS in Newport as they had the old schooner CORONET mentioned in another current thread and was surprise that they turned up their New England snobby noses at the suggestion!

Throatwarbler-Mangrove

Super Anarchist
New England
Mystic might want them, I'm sure the CORONET could absorb a few more Naval Live Oaks for knees.

Not far from where I live on the Alabama Gulf there is a National Seashore Park that has been a source of Naval Live Oaks for ship and boatbuilding for centuries. After one of our hurricanes had downed many of the old growth Live Oaks I contacted the IYRS in Newport as they had the old schooner CORONET mentioned in another current thread and was surprise that they turned up their New England snobby noses at the suggestion!

Cornet splashed just this past week.

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River

Typically, in New England Quercus Alba or (American/ Northern/Eastern White Oak) was/is the preferred structural boat building timber. If Coronet was built with "Northern" White Oak, it would be understandable that they would want to restore her with the same.
I've worked a LOT of American White Oak, and some Southern Live Oak (Quercus Virginiana).... The Live Oak is MUCH MUCH harder to work with.
Both produce beautiful very durable lumber.

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
The North Florida work ethic strikes again!
Monday noon: Contractor is coming over to look at the job. Will be here by 2PM.
Monday 4:30: I call. (him) "My motorcycle broke down, I'm waiting for a friend with a trailer to pick me up. I'll call you tomorrow."
Tuesday 2:00 PM: (Him) I'm just finishing up a job. Packing up right now. I'll be over there on my way home.
Tuesday 5:00PM (Him) I got called to an energency job, I'll stop by tomorrow, PROMISE!
Wednesday: Nothing.
Thursday Noon: (Him) I got you on my list, I swear I'll be by this afternoon on my way home. I live right near you.
Friday Noon: (Him) Sorry man, I got hung up doing stuff! I'll be over this afternoon!
Friday 3:30PM. (Him) Ummmm, who is this? Oh yeah! No I'm just lying in front of the TV with my wife..... I could be over there in like an hour.
ME: Why don't we make it tomorrow morning?
(Him) Sure I have to help my buddy put up a fence, but I could stop by around 7AM....
ME: The fucking sun isn't up here at 7AM. When will you be done with your fence job?
(Him) Oh easy by noon.... I'll come by right after I'm done with that!
Saturday 4:30PM (Him) We've been sitting here all day waiting for the guy to deliver the fence material, I'll come by....
ME: If you really think someone is going to deliver you fencing material after 4:30 on a Saturday you're either stupid, or high. CLICK.
I've never lived in a place where people have a lower work ethic than here. The Caribbean, Canada, New England, Calif-fucking-fornia. It's just amazing!
The people who DO show up for a job expect to be paid hhalf in advance..... I made that mistake twice.... Never see the fuckers again until they run out of money, and want to start the job, but need enough money to fix the truck before they start.... Buh-bye!
I'm going to fly some people down from Maine who'll appreciate a week out of the sleet, and will do a proper job for a decent wage.
Un-be-fucking-lievable!

Grabbler

Grabbler
The North Florida work ethic strikes again!
Monday noon: Contractor is coming over to look at the job. Will be here by 2PM.
Monday 4:30: I call. (him) "My motorcycle broke down, I'm waiting for a friend with a trailer to pick me up. I'll call you tomorrow."
Tuesday 2:00 PM: (Him) I'm just finishing up a job. Packing up right now. I'll be over there on my way home.
Tuesday 5:00PM (Him) I got called to an energency job, I'll stop by tomorrow, PROMISE!
Wednesday: Nothing.
Thursday Noon: (Him) I got you on my list, I swear I'll be by this afternoon on my way home. I live right near you.
Friday Noon: (Him) Sorry man, I got hung up doing stuff! I'll be over this afternoon!
Friday 3:30PM. (Him) Ummmm, who is this? Oh yeah! No I'm just lying in front of the TV with my wife..... I could be over there in like an hour.
ME: Why don't we make it tomorrow morning?
(Him) Sure I have to help my buddy put up a fence, but I could stop by around 7AM....
ME: The fucking sun isn't up here at 7AM. When will you be done with your fence job?
(Him) Oh easy by noon.... I'll come by right after I'm done with that!
Saturday 4:30PM (Him) We've been sitting here all day waiting for the guy to deliver the fence material, I'll come by....
ME: If you really think someone is going to deliver you fencing material after 4:30 on a Saturday you're either stupid, or high. CLICK.
I've never lived in a place where people have a lower work ethic than here. The Caribbean, Canada, New England, Calif-fucking-fornia. It's just amazing!
The people who DO show up for a job expect to be paid hhalf in advance..... I made that mistake twice.... Never see the fuckers again until they run out of money, and want to start the job, but need enough money to fix the truck before they start.... Buh-bye!
I'm going to fly some people down from Maine who'll appreciate a week out of the sleet, and will do a proper job for a decent wage.
Un-be-fucking-lievable!
Dude!... you've been here how long?... it's fuckin' deer season...😄

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
Do you thick it hasse annythinge to do withe covide or ist it alle DS?
I think it has more to do with low quality weed, Coors Light, and probably some other chemical like Oxycontin, or diesel fumes in a sock.
You can buy Nar-Can in the drug store here with out a prescription, just in case your wife, husband, kid, mother, father, or you have an OD at home or in school.... Not kidding.
I have 2 in my glove box, just in case.

Grabbler

Grabbler
It's deer season all year long around here.
No...deer season leads into turkey season...into fishing/crabbing/tarpon season... into the short, but sweet, scalloping season...into the season of inconsolable solitude and despair...into bow season...and back to deer season...please try and keep up...

Snaggletooth

SA's Morrelle Compasse
I think it has more to do with low quality weed, Coors Light, and probably some other chemical like Oxycontin, or diesel fumes in a sock.
You can buy Nar-Can in the drug store here with out a prescription, just in case your wife, husband, kid, mother, father, or you have an OD at home or in school.... Not kidding.
I have 2 in my glove box, just in case.
You neede to litten up .........

:)

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
No...deer season leads into turkey season...into fishing/crabbing/tarpon season... into the short, but sweet, scalloping season...into the season of inconsolable solitude and despair...into bow season...and back to deer season...please try and keep up...
It's deer season all year around here, if you know where to go, and who to avoid. Try to keep up.
Scallop season is indeed short, but oh so sweet. It was shut down for all but about a week around here this past year. Too hot apparently.

Grabbler

Grabbler
It's deer season all year around here, if you know where to go, and who to avoid. Try to keep up.
Scallop season is indeed short, but oh so sweet. It was shut down for all but about a week around here this past year. Too hot apparently.
You really shouldn't pull shit out of your arse to "prove a point"...scallop seasons differ in all zones of Florida, but none of them were "shut down" or shortened from posted dates last year because of "heat" or red tide...and just so as ya know, no self respecting Florida good ol'boy is gonna hunt skanky hot weather deer from April through September...that shit be straight up nasty...but you just rock on painting with a broad brush and don't bother yourself with maybe searching a little harder for a a more reliable/reputable guy to do the job...might cost a little more though and that might offend your spendthrift Yankee sensibilities (see which brush I used there😄)...