Living as an expat which country the best,

Not for nothing

Super Anarchist
jupiter
Thinking of leaving the US, which place is the best,
Considering money, safety, housing, sailing, easy of doing, medicare and VA benefits?
Thinking Bahamas only 50 miles away?
any thoughts?

Jkdubz808

Megatron
Stuart, FL
Leaving Jupiter eh? Bahamas is nice, we know quite a few people over there. Can't speak for housing and what not cuz they mostly live on boats in the islands. We have been contemplating Canada ourselves, but lots of people don't like the cold. They have better school systems for the kids though, and universal healthcare.

Mrleft8

Super Anarchist
Suwanee River
You'll lose your Medicare, and VA bennies if you move out of the country. Then again, in many countries you'll get better care for less than your Medicare co-pay anyway...
I guess it depends on how much you can stand British, German, and Italian Expats..... There aren't many US Expats, except for ex-cops who now run drug smuggling ops in the Carib.... Gotta watch out for them. They actually have guns, and know how to shoot them.

Bump-n-Grind

Get off my lawn.
Chesapeake Bay/Vail
You'll lose your Medicare, and VA bennies if you move out of the country. Then again, in many countries you'll get better care for less than your Medicare co-pay anyway...
I guess it depends on how much you can stand British, German, and Italian Expats..... There aren't many US Expats, except for ex-cops who now run drug smuggling ops in the Carib.... Gotta watch out for them. They actually have guns, and know how to shoot them.
That statement is just flat out wrong. Maybe not as many per capita, but there's a fuckton of us out there infecting the rest of the planet. I personally know more than 10 in Costa Rica alone.. probably another 25 or 30 that have bailed to different parts of Mexica. and another 6 or so in the UK

guns68

I lived in Curacao for about a year. Nice people, amazing diving. Just about everyone speaks English (along with 2 to 4 other languages). I was not able to use my VA benefits and the medical care on the island was mediocre at best. It was also somewhat expensive there, especially utilities. I made some very good friends and I hope to go back to vacation, but I don't see me living there again anytime soon.

The expat community in Thailand is huge. Different parts of the country are popular for different reasons, of course. The sailors tend to be in the Phuket / Krabi area. The motorbike riders are in the north - the foothills of the Himalayas. Then there's Pattaya - I've never been there, so I can't comment on what that's about. Apparently it has beaches or something. Lots of old soldiers down there - I think chasing their R&R memories. Healthcare is good - lots of western trained doctors and dentists.

Jkdubz808

Megatron
Stuart, FL
That statement is just flat out wrong. Maybe not as many per capita, but there's a fuckton of us out there infecting the rest of the planet. I personally know more than 10 in Costa Rica alone.. probably another 25 or 30 that have bailed to different parts of Mexica. and another 6 or so in the UK
BnG is right, even people my age (just shy of 40) have bailed. Central America and the Caribbean, some up in Canada, and even a few in Oz and Europe are the ones that I know of. America isn't 'the best nation in the world' as many preach. Sure its definitely far from the bottom of the list, but there are other places just as good if not better. Each place has its pros and cons, but there is enough info on the interwebs to get the info you need.

Bump-n-Grind

Get off my lawn.
Chesapeake Bay/Vail
Before Brexit I was seriously considering the UK. Hamble or Isle of Wight somewhere. Not sure I wanted to live in Cowes, Hamble is appealing. it also is close enough to Continental Europe to make travel more feasible.

Jkdubz808

Megatron
Stuart, FL
Bowgirl and I are looking heavily into Halifax area of Nova Scotia. Older kids will be in college in 5 years, and not too stoked on how school systems (especially in Florida) for the younger boys, or the country as a whole for that matter, is shaping up so once the older ones are out of high school we might drag the boys, dog and the center console up there for good. We both work in the maritime industry so jobs would be easy to get there. We will see.

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
Yeah, we have a lot of guys move to various countries. Mostly belize and Costa Rica but any number scattered around other places as well. I’d guess…….30 to 50. Never heard anyone snivel about where they landed. I think it is what you decide it is. Quite a few more moved to Coeur d’ Alene area and some to Tennesee. That’s sorta moving out of the country……🤣

Left Shift

Super Anarchist
Seattle
Bowgirl and I are looking heavily into Halifax area of Nova Scotia. Older kids will be in college in 5 years, and not too stoked on how school systems (especially in Florida) for the younger boys, or the country as a whole for that matter, is shaping up so once the older ones are out of high school we might drag the boys, dog and the center console up there for good. We both work in the maritime industry so jobs would be easy to get there. We will see.
They used to move houses across the bay by hauling them across the sea ice. Of course that was before climate change. Still...You OK with winters with 7 hours of daylight?

Chris in Santa Cruz CA

Super Anarchist
earths surface
I am an expatriate American living in the USA. I reject everything USA but it’s nice here and I am too lazy to move. Health care sucks, roads suck, complete nut job Russian spies can get elected president and we decided to let airliner manufacturers and baby food manufacturers inspect themselves for safety until they killed their customers. We are pretty much the Deliverence banjo scene of western civilization at this point but killer sunset tonight!

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Yeah, we have a lot of guys move to various countries. Mostly belize and Costa Rica but any number scattered around other places as well. I’d guess…….30 to 50. Never heard anyone snivel about where they landed. I think it is what you decide it is. Quite a few more moved to Coeur d’ Alene area and some to Tennesee. That’s sorta moving out of the country……🤣
From what I can see, someone moves to Coeur D'Alene because they are part of the problem. That area - Hayden Lake - has been an epicenter of Nazis and other master race assholes for decades.

boomer

Super Anarchist
PNW
I'll have to echo Chris in Santa Cruz. Childhood friends and workmates around the globe living cheaper then in the USA except for gas prices in some European locations. Belize, and Costa Rica are popular, Thailand and Peru are popular and low expense, too, even to have a new house built, as a friend did in Thailand - however, I'm not moving, I really enjoy and love where I live.

Last edited:

Jkdubz808

Megatron
Stuart, FL
They used to move houses across the bay by hauling them across the sea ice. Of course that was before climate change. Still...You OK with winters with 7 hours of daylight?
Wouldn't be the first time I've lived in higher latitudes, I know what comes with it. I've explained this numerous times to the bowgirl, she understands as well. We have to make sacrifices somewhere if we truly do want out, and if that means snow and freezing temps with short days then so be it.

boomer

Super Anarchist
PNW
Northern Latitudes with shorter winter days isn't to bad, and one gets used to doing outdoor stuff like climbing, snowshoeing and x-county skiing in the daytime, and one becomes used to doing some of the same at night. My friends, my wife and I snowshoed and x-country skied to our cabin midweek, to check on our cat, whom kept a tunnel open up through the snow, to get out during the day to hunt ptarmigan and duck, despite leaving plenty of cat food out.

I might add - The long summer days make up for the short nights.

019.jpg

039.jpg

042.jpg

018.jpg

040.jpg