LONQR 2

slap

Super Anarchist
Somewhat near Naptown
fzwherzb2v2a1.jpg

Snaggletooth

SA's Morrelle Compasse
I heard, from a reliable source, of a local Chinese businessman whose wife did exactly that. Stops him inside the door, trousers down and face into the crumpet zone.
Northeng niewe theire...... scentte changes aftere the factte........

Liquid

NFLTG
Over there
Love old lumber because it's so clean, straight and reusable! Getting past plaster & lath to find it tho, not so great.

I've found that the finish nail pattern "code" from 100 years ago was seemingly 2 x 10P finish nails every 12"!

Imagine building a house with all nails being hand driven into that 1918 wood. So many nails and all the lath was hand nailed too, horse hair plaster applied, etc...

Last edited:

Point Break

Super Anarchist
Long Beach, California
My house is full dimension 2x4 and 2x6 redwood framing and 1x4 subfloor from the 40’s. Sorry, floor joists are 2x10. Termites only eat the fir used in added window framing and a laundry room/pantry add on and a skylight.
Mine is dimensional 2x10 redwood floor joists on 4 foot centers all sitting on concrete piers and stem walls and foundation walls with a 2-3 foot crawl space over bare dirt. Then the subfloor was 1x4 tongue and groove redwood laid across the floor joists with an oak floor over that. Thing is bombproof…..but cold tootsies in the winter. That crawl space just hangs onto the cold.

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
Mine is dimensional 2x10 redwood floor joists on 4 foot centers all sitting on concrete piers and stem walls and foundation walls with a 2-3 foot crawl space over bare dirt. Then the subfloor was 1x4 tongue and groove redwood laid across the floor joists with an oak floor over that. Thing is bombproof…..but cold tootsies in the winter. That crawl space just hangs onto the cold.
Sounds like you have enough room under there to access and insulate… (that’s the Minnesotan in me…)

Chris in Santa Cruz CA

Super Anarchist
earths surface
Yep same but I think my centers are less far apart. I swear every year I am going to put rigid foam up there but never do. Working under there is a bitch.

Go Left

Super Anarchist
Seattle
Love old lumber because it's so clean, straight and reusable! Getting past plaster & lath to find it tho, not so great.

I've found that the finish nail pattern "code" from 100 years ago was seemingly 2 x 10P finish nails every 12"!

Imagine building a house with all nails being hand driven into that 1918 wood. So many nails and all the lath was hand nailed too, horse hair plaster applied, etc...
Renovating a 100-year-old Craftsman house in the PNW means you are dealing with clear, old-growth Douglas Fir which back then had e values in the 1,400,000 range and you could span a 24' room with 2x12s at 16" and not have it deflect. The Western Woods book had values that are unimaginable in the world of nominal-sized Hem-Fir "white wood".

For 100-years-old DF, I've had to pre-drill very nail or screw hole because I simply couldn't drive a common wire nail into the stuff. The wood grain per inch is off the charts

Renovated a warehouse in Bellingham, Washington where the beams were 24"x44"x40' clear DF. 300#/PSF live load rating on the floor. No more to be found.

And of course you can barely find clear cedar any more either.

P_Wop

Super Anarchist
Bay Area, CA
Twenty something years ago a friend (ha!) and I went halves on a massive piece of old growth redwood. It had been stored outside in an old saw yard in Santa Rosa CA for over 100 years. 4 x 10 x 110 feet. The thing weighed over 40 tons, which was why it was still there.

I had planned a large open plan hillside home in Mendocino County with this gigantic piece of ancient tree as the main longitudinal roof beam. But then the dotcom downdraft hit, and plans went in the bin.

A couple of years later, conditions had improved, and I drove up to have another look at it. It had gone. It had been sawn into ten foot lengths and planked, and was just gone. I interrogated my 'friend' and he professed to know nothing. What a shit.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL

After the 1980's insulation under my stilt house deteriorated and got torn up by hurricane Charley, I had it spray foamed. My feet stay much warmer now. I wish I had told them to make it thicker.