LONQR 2

MisterMoon

Super Anarchist
l2tozeyonkg51.jpg

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
There’s a Mitsubishi Jeep/SUV badged here as the Pajero. Apparently they had a “moment” when it was released in Spain, where pajero means wanker.
I not only have a Mitsubishi Pajero, but it's a Pajero Pinin, the body was designed by the Pininfarina studio.

Sometimes the dogs like to go 4 wheeling in the forest with it.  Stanley doesn't like how Bella drives so he looks out the back window when she's at the wheel..

image.png

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
My wife called me at work once.  We were newlyweds, clueless, and out of dish washer detergent.  She asked if she could use dish soap.  I said "why not give it a try?".  I'll tell you exactly why not.  It looks just like that picture.  Our dog had a ball for a couple hours chasing suds through the house.
At college:

Me - We are out of dishwasher detergent, can I use the Joy?

Friend - Sure, but it really foams up, don't use too much.

I took that to mean about half as much as usual. What he meant was more like 2 drops. We had soapsuds waist deep :eek:

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
At college:

Me - We are out of dishwasher detergent, can I use the Joy?

Friend - Sure, but it really foams up, don't use too much.

I took that to mean about half as much as usual. What he meant was more like 2 drops. We had soapsuds waist deep :eek:
2 words:  Mister Roberts

Ed Lada

Super Anarchist
Poland
Standard shifts are still reasonably common in Europe.

But I expect they will become rare here as well, at some point.

Gissie

Super Anarchist
Standard shifts are still reasonably common in Europe.

But I expect they will become rare here as well, at some point.
Was in Denmark a couple of years ago. Car rental offered me a cheap deal on a much better car if I was prepared to drive an auto. Surprised the shit out me but took the offer.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Years ago I had an original VW Rabbit 4 speed. Great car but one night on my way home from work my elbow was bothering me when I shifted. It spurred my curiosity so I counted gear changes on a couple of trips to work.

I was shifting gears 114 times each way - 228 gear shifts every day just going to work.

That was the last stick I owned. If I lived outside the city I might get one again, just like a motorcycle.

Besides, modern automatics are quicker and more economical than sticks.

Last edited by a moderator:

hasher

Super Anarchist
Insanity
Years ago I had an original VW Rabbit 4 speed. Great car but one night on my way home from work my elbow was bothering me when I shifted. It spurred my curiosity so I counted gear changes on a couple of trips to work.

I was shifting gears 114 times each way - 228 gear shifts ever day just going to work.

That was the last stick I owned. If I lived outside the city I might get one again, just like a motorcycle.

And it's a lot easier to avoid spilling your "coffee".

slap

Super Anarchist
Modern automatics do better in the EPA mileage tests.  In the EPA test cars with manual transmissions are shifted at certain predetermined speeds or engine rpms.  This would give repeatable results but ignores how a manual is used by a competent driver who would shift it accounting for other factors such as acceleration, deceleration, and going up and down hills.

I've owned both automatics and manuals, and have driven both on my commute to and from work.  My commute included driving 42 miles a day on the Washington Beltway.   I just enjoy driving manuals, and now that I don't need to have a large family hauler both of my cars have manuals.