Looking for R2AK Boat

boredatwork

Looking for sailboat to do R2AK

My friends and I are looking to buy a boat to do the R2AK and wanted to see if anyone had anything off market they would like to sell? Ideally we would like a Hobie 33, Olson 30, Soverel 33 or similar type ULDB boat that comes with a trailer.

In a perfect world the boat would have updated/reinforced bulkheads, newer rigging and a well serviced/ upgraded rudder/post. (Safety is #1 so if these items were not addressed they would just be added to our work list but weigh on our decision criteria/budget, extra offshore safety equipment is a plus).

Half the crew is in So Cal and the balance is in the Midwest so proximity to So-Cal would be ideal given we would like to do the N2E as a shakedown race.

We’d be willing to consider a lease / buy back option where we upgrade an existing owner's boat and sell it back to them after the race if we could align on terms.

Appreciate any existing listings sent our way, will drive for a deal,

Thanks

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
Comes with trailer :) The 25C is the home built carbon version. A bunch were built by a group of owners at the same time.

boredatwork

The Tri looks sweet, but unfortunately more than we are looking to spend. The budget would be 15-20k to get the boat and trailer race ready. Over the last year we saw a Hobie (maybe Mayhem) and Olson (Passages) sell that had done the Transpac with all the goodies and upgrades. In hindsight wishing, we had been ready to jump on one of those. Hoping this post might find something similar that has not hit the market yet.

Hitchhiker

Hoopy Frood
Saquo-Pilia Hensha
Comes with trailer :) The 25C is the home built carbon version. A bunch were built by a group of owners at the same time.

@boredatwork

I know the this boat and the owner. It's in great nick and everything is negotiable. Also, I would think you could sell it fairly quickly for pretty much what you put into it. Especially after you win the R2AK!

Snaggletooth

SA's Morrelle Compasse
The Tri looks sweet, but unfortunately more than we are looking to spend. The budget would be 15-20k to get the boat and trailer race ready. Over the last year we saw a Hobie (maybe Mayhem) and Olson (Passages) sell that had done the Transpac with all the goodies and upgrades. In hindsight wishing, we had been ready to jump on one of those. Hoping this post might find something similar that has not hit the market yet.
@Gouvernail - He hase fleete of Pearson 26s, mabey you cane rentne/perrchisse oune........ :)

EYESAILOR

Super Anarchist
The Tri looks sweet, but unfortunately more than we are looking to spend. The budget would be 15-20k to get the boat and trailer race ready.

If your total budget for the race is $15-20K.....I think the wrong approach is to spend most of that budget on a POS boat and have nothing left over for customization (peddle drive etc) , equipment, sails, shuttle etc.

Charter that tri for $8,000 and spend $5,000 on event expenses. If you are making the commitment, start with the right vessel.

BrightAyes

Here's a safe seaworthy proven war horse that will get you and your mates There and Back Again, maybe with the knife set. Located in Cali already somewhat in your price range. You can sail it offshore to Victoria next year to get your sea miles

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
I looked at that one. At first I figured given the age it would be an IOR influenced heavy boat. But it isn't. This review makes it plain that make it fast was the influence not the IOR

But no trailer.

Latest posts