Looking forward to the invention of cleats in Canada

DDW

Super Anarchist
This technology - universally used in the rest of the civilized world - has not made it to Canada. Instead the docks have a rough board bolted down to the edge of the dock. Very sharp dividing line as the US/Canada border. This is not unique to BC, the same was true in Atlantic Canada.

The board is hard to tie to, hard to tighten dock lines, hard on the dock lines, splintery, often caked with guano. There may be hope, on the Victoria customs dock they had both the rough board and cleats.

We had a few locals try to convince me that the rough board was better. But I noticed they did not have a rough board bolted to the top of the toe rail on their boats, rather they had cleats.

:D :p :rolleyes:

Ishmael

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
Fuctifino
I suspect there are Canadian regulations for docks that require a toe rail and that's the easiest way to do it. Other ways exist.

winter%252520harbour.jpg

eliboat

Super Anarchist
Well, this is common just a little bit south in Maine as well, as are posts instead of cleats. When you first encounter them and realize that most docks are set up this way, the reaction is basically what you posted. I for one have come to favor this arrangement over cleats in general, as it does work well, is more versatile than cleats, and allows for more lines to be tied to the dock without interfering. There is also the fact that it's cheaper, which is why I suspect Mainers and Canadians have opted for this.

valis

Super Anarchist
Friday Harbor, WA
I really prefer cleats to these rails (and we have them on some docks here as well). With a cleat I can drop a spring line over it as I enter a slip or come alongside a dock -- quick and easy. Also, I can tie to a cleat quicker, neater, and more securely. Tying to the bull rail (thanks for the term, Autonomous) is usually slower and sloppier. When leaving the dock it's much easier to slip the lines off the cleats as we go, but when slipping a line from the wooden bull rail it often gets snagged.

Great White

Super Anarchist
Bremerton, WA USA
Cleats are probably preferable, but even here in Washington State, a lot of docks use rails. I can't remember the state parks having cleats and if I remember right, a number of the city docks also have rails. In 45 years of cruising around the PNW, it was just a fact of life. I guess I grew up with it, so I did not have anything to get over or get use to.

DDW

Super Anarchist
I really prefer cleats to these rails (and we have them on some docks here as well). With a cleat I can drop a spring line over it as I enter a slip or come alongside a dock -- quick and easy. Also, I can tie to a cleat quicker, neater, and more securely. Tying to the bull rail (thanks for the term, Autonomous) is usually slower and sloppier. When leaving the dock it's much easier to slip the lines off the cleats as we go, but when slipping a line from the wooden bull rail it often gets snagged.
^^^ These are the problems in a nutshell.

I have seen them on dinghy docks more widespread, and yes a few in Maine. Still like cleats though.

But if pressed, I will take the bull rails over the outside pilings that you find in the Chesapeake and south. Those are simply evil, unless you have an industrial strength rub rail.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
They suck and appear to be slowly disappearing in favour of cleats. I don't know if they are worse than rings but it's a near run thing. I always thought it was done because a hunk of untreated timber is cheaper than cleats. You can't lasso them with a spring when docking and you have to thread your dock lines under them. They are a tripping hazard as well - really terrible idea in every way.

Ishmael

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
Fuctifino
They suck and appear to be slowly disappearing in favour of cleats. I don't know if they are worse than rings but it's a near run thing. I always thought it was done because a hunk of untreated timber is cheaper than cleats. You can't lasso them with a spring when docking and you have to thread your dock lines under them. They are a tripping hazard as well - really terrible idea in every way.
Much easier to get with a thrown grappling hook though. We all carry those, right?

Pertinacious Tom

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda FL
Much easier to get with a thrown grappling hook though. We all carry those, right?
You don't have a cannon to fire yours and must throw it instead? Weird.

Ishmael

≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
Fuctifino
You don't have a cannon to fire yours and must throw it instead? Weird.
We try and get closer than 10 feet on the first attempt. A cannon would be good if you are docking from across the harbour or something.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
I actually do have one - it was a freebee at a boat show or something - a single claw gimmick that I never threw out (pun intended).