Looking forward to the invention of cleats in Canada

IStream

Super Anarchist
Chum said:
Let go the bow line...gently!

image_zpsp2i5rrjv.jpeg
Somebody's boat has decent backing plates on their deck cleats...

Chum said:
It's full now, as the pics above show. People have apparently tried to use all manner of stuff to (fix) the docks, from boards to carpet draped over the fingers. It a hard scrabble life, for boats especially.

The boat above appears to have been sentenced to hang by the cleats until dead.
It appears it can be quite nice there at time as well:

There is even a charter operator, using a Hunter 260 (do I detect an opportunity to tie two threads together here?)

DDW

Super Anarchist
I would be happy with bollards, though I have rarely seen them on a dock (for pleasure craft). We tied to them - big ones - occasionally on the Welland and St Lawrence back east. Have not seen any in the PNW. Far better than a bull rail, perhaps not as convenient as a cleat.

dinghydoc

Anarchist
Seattle, WA
Yeah, yeah, the metal rails aren't too bad although I've never used one, but the wooden ones totally suck. Period. They are usually nothing but a good way to catch a splinter. The bad outweighs the good of the damn things and the OP didn't say he couldn't figure out how to use them.

Norse Horse

Super Anarchist
The Rock
For singlehanding, the midship boat cleat is the one I tie first and the bull rail allows me to get that fastened in seconds on a windy dock at any position. I tie the stern similar and then spring from there. Cleats are a pain if the boat sizes are mixed up or if you have to compromise the tie angle, or even having to share a small cleat with a spring line.

The bull rail affords some spring and is more, "tie your horse up, partner", western...

DDW

Super Anarchist
It is much faster to hitch to a cleat in any and all conditions. If you are good at it you can lasso one on the way by. Now, if the wharfinger (that's a new term I learned up here) didn't put any cleats, or not enough, or tiny ones, or in bad locations then of course something else could conceivably be better, if less than ideal. Bull rails can be badly done too.

I've tied to maybe a hundred bull rails by now and I cannot see a single advantage in them.

us7070

Super Anarchist
Yeah, yeah, the metal rails aren't too bad although I've never used one, but the wooden ones totally suck. Period. They are usually nothing but a good way to catch a splinter. The bad outweighs the good of the damn things and the OP didn't say he couldn't figure out how to use them.
also.., with the wooden rails.., i've seen some that aren't attached to the dock all that well - maybe they were at one time, or maybe they weren't..