Looking forward to the invention of cleats in Canada

Bull City

Bull City
North Carolina
I have no idea what that brown pizza sauce is that you described
There seems to be some controversy about the recipes, but you can Google "Pictou County Pizza Sauce," and there are several to choose from. Here is one:

https://www.food.com/recipe/pictou-county-pizza-sauce-464008

In a nutshell, you chop up canned tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, celery, add some spices and other odds and ends, and then simmer for four hours. After the simmer, you add quite a bit of flour and transform the by now tasteless vegetables into a gravy. It may be red, it may be brown.  

I will quote two comments (my emphasis on the color problem):

#1 Maybe I just didn't follow the recipe correctly, but when I tried to make this recipe, I found it tasted and looked like slop. It certainly wasn't Pictou County Pizza sauce. It was almost like a gravy as opposed to pizza sauce. I will attempt it again, but this time, it certainly wasn't what I was looking for.

#2 This recipe is tasty but 100% definitely not the famous sauce of the big three (acropole, sams trenton, Alices). This sauce is red and does not come out brown like pictou county pizza sauce. I have heard rumours of lard being the secret ingredient? I did puree all the veggies before adding to sauce. I would add more onions, garlic, mushrooms to the recipe and use less oil more broth. Pepper amount is fine. brothers pepperoni is also needed. I know greeks are very picky about their olive oil so maybe using a nice olive oil instead of dirty canola oil would add to it as well.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
There seems to be some controversy about the recipes, but you can Google "Pictou County Pizza Sauce," and there are several to choose from. Here is one:

https://www.food.com/recipe/pictou-county-pizza-sauce-464008

In a nutshell, you chop up canned tomatoes, onions, mushrooms, celery, add some spices and other odds and ends, and then simmer for four hours. After the simmer, you add quite a bit of flour and transform the by now tasteless vegetables into a gravy. It may be red, it may be brown.  

I will quote two comments (my emphasis on the color problem):
Never even heard of it - must be a very localized thing.

Jim in Halifax

Super Anarchist
Nova Scotia
It must be. I live less than 100 miles from Pictou/New Glasgow and I've never heard of it 'til now, much less tasted it. Now, Donairs are definitely a well-known local thing, but I must try and find a Pictou Brown Sauce Pizza the next time I am down that way. Lots of good beer brewed here too, not to mention craft distilleries (calling Mr. Sculpin...).

Bull City

Bull City
North Carolina
In 2014, Mrs. Bull and I vacationed in beautiful Nova Scotia. We drove from Louisbourg to Pictou and got in kind of late on a Tuesday night. The only place we could find to eat was a pizza place, Agropole Pizza, one of the brown sauce places mentioned in the recipe comments:

I lived in Pictou County for a good while and ate my fair share of pizza from the big 3 (Sam's, Acropole, and Alice's), and this recipe is nowhere close to the 'brown sauce' the region has become famous for.<br/><br/>I'm certainly not trying to be rude either but this recipe is insane. The amounts of some of the ingredients are just beyond comprehension....2 cups of flour??? 2 cups of oil? I wouldn't feed the finished product to a swine. No joke. 1/2 cup of pepper? Look, this recipe is bogus. Plain and simple. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO MAKE THIS RECIPE. I have made it a personal mission to nail down the real recipe (as close as possible) and will be sharing it on here, facebook, etc. In the meantime, save your time and ingredients.

I live less than 100 miles from Pictou/New Glasgow and I've never heard of it 'til now, much less tasted it.
Jimmy, you need to take a road trip to Pictou. It's only 165 Km.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pictou_County_pizza

Pictou County Pizza is a regional variant of pizza found in Pictou County, Nova Scotia. The pizza utilizes a "brown sauce" that includes common pizza sauce-related ingredients such as tomatoes, onions and oregano as well as less common sauce ingredients like flour and chicken broth. [1] It also uses Halifax-made Brothers pepperoni[2] made by Chris Brothers Meats & Deli.[3]

The pizza can be shipped frozen across Canada via an arrangement between a local pizza shop and the local UPS agency. The most common destination is Fort McMurray, Alberta, with a two-day delivery time.[4][5] Since 2014, an annual competition between pizza makers in Pictou County has been held, with awards being given under a People's Choice category and selected by a panel of judges.[6] In early 2018, it was announced that Pictou County pizza will be made available in the Halifax area through delivery from a location in Truro for a $10 delivery fee, with the first delivery on February 10, 2018. [7]

DDW

Super Anarchist
Fortunately, such bullrails as we have are hardwood, so very few splinters. None from metal cleats.

(The first settlers' axes just bounced off our hardwoods (eucalypts, etc) so they took out all the softwoods, which they could chop down, in a heartbeat. Very few left except in remote Tassie.)
One problem with bull rails is they are all home made, and the variety of interpretation leaves a few OK ones and very many bad ones. Currently tied up in Lagoon Cove, bull rails are relatively low and made of wood with few splinters. Regularly blocked (no haphazardly) and mostly clear of slime. Cleats are factory made, generally of the well proven and accepted shape, and harbor neither splinters nor slime. Hard to screw up, unless you skimp on the number. 

I have lovely hardwood floors in my house made of Sydney Blue, I understand a variety of gum tree. It would make nice bull rails. 

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
If they would just run a router and big roundover bit along the edges before bolting them down then bullrails would be fine.

I put more effort and craftsmanship into my retaining walls than most do with docks & bullrails.

5% more effort makes them nice instead of merely functional.

TwoLegged

Super Anarchist
It's all relative of course. Take any North American beer to Ireland for example.....
For most of the 20th century, Irish beer was a choice between Guinness and Guinness. (Or Murphy's in Cork).

Non-stout drinkers had a choice of Harp (the most anemic lager outside of North America) or Smithwick's (an ale so devoid of character that it didn't even deserve a label).

Nowadays, there is a half-decent smattering of craft beer.  But it doesn't really matter, 'cos a) I like Guinness, and b) the price of beer in the pubs has gotten so mad that I rarely drink in pubs.

So mostly I drink homebrew, like I did as a teenager.

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
I don’t like either Harp or Smithwick’s and here a pint of Guinness at our local boat club is $3.50. It‘a $6 at our yacht club… I like boat club prices!

DDW

Super Anarchist
Guinness is a little strong for me (and also served too warm), when I was in Ireland I was introduced to Smithwicks's by the locals who called it "a good ladies beer". I think they die it dark to make you think you are drinking something worthwhile? Not my favorite either. It is common in the US to have a choice fo maybe 30 - 50 different brands and styles most places you buy beer. 

Jim in Halifax

Super Anarchist
Nova Scotia
Guinness is a little strong for me (and also served too warm)...
I assume you mean strong flavoured, as Guinness is really a 'light beer' at 4.2% ABV :D Always my choice when I can 'only have one' when I'm driving. When I was a wee lad, my Newfie granny told me her doctor prescribed it for nursing mothers...as the ads say, "Guinness is Good for You!"

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
I think we need to distinguish between publicly traded companies and non-traded.

As an example of the latter, about 12 years ago, my oldest son started a custom cabinet business in the second floor of a barn with a contractor friend, as a silent partner, whose dad owned the barn. Since then, he bought out his friend and has expanded to a 6,000 s.f. shop and employs 4 to 5 guys. He has never spent a dime on advertising. It is strictly word-of-mouth, repeat business, and some jobs from his friend, whose volume is also word-of-mouth. Is it capitalism? Yes, but I believe it's the good kind.
Yes, in Canada there is J.T. Hawkins which makes "Cheezies" and only available in Canada.  A multi-generational family business, Cheezies have been around as long as I remember.  Even the packaging looks pretty much the same as in my childhood.

They do not advertise.  Have been asked several times if they would like to go public and expand.  The president said the company makes enough money to keep the family members happy.  Even in the relatively small Canadian market

cheezies.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

CriticalPath

Anarchist
BofQ
Yes, in Canada there is J.T. Hawkins which makes "Cheezies" and only available in Canada.  A multi-generational family business, Cheezies have been around as long as I remember.  Even the packaging looks pretty much the same as in my childhood.

They do not advertise.  Have been asked several times if they would like to go public and expand.  The president said the company makes enough money to keep the family members happy.  Even in the relatively small Canadian market

View attachment 511106
Just around the corner from Bay of Quinte Yacht Club in a nondescript and unidentified old 1950s industrial plant.  Sponsors of every BQYC regatta.

GF too but they'd never change their labelling to highlight the fact.

Cheers!

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North

View attachment 511106
They are the best cheese puff there is.

I love the technical term for them - "exploded starch"

Bull City

Bull City
North Carolina

View attachment 511106
They look disgusting, and somehow delicious at the same time.

130lights

Super Anarchist
Lake Michigan

View attachment 511106
Available at Canadian Tire?

Leeroy Jenkins

Super Anarchist
Vancouver

View attachment 511106
I cannot remember life without Cheezies, or Old Dutch.