Looking forward to the invention of cleats in Canada

Bull City

Bull City
North Carolina
According to Jeff Bezos, I could have these on Monday if I order now. What say y'all?

Screen Shot 2022-05-21 at 9.04.48 PM.png

Bull City

Bull City
North Carolina
Wait! There's more from Wikipedia!

History[SIZE=small][edit][/SIZE]

The snack was invented after the Second World War by James Marker of Dayton, Ohio and W. T. Hawkins.[2] The pair were living in Chicago when they discovered a method, by trial and error, of extruding cornmeal, casting it into fingerling shapes, then deep frying it in vegetable shortening and sprinkling it with cheddar cheese. Production was moved to Tweed, Ontario in 1949 where the recipe was perfected and the W. T. Hawkins Ltd. plant established.[3]

Production was moved to a factory in Belleville, Ontario in 1956 after fire destroyed the original plant in Tweed.[4] They concentrated exclusively on Cheezies after dropping other snack foods from their portfolio. The snack has been produced in the same facility ever since and continues to be sold across Canada. Marker's original machine is still used to manufacture Cheezies at the company's plant, as of 2012.[3] Marker remained vice president of the W. T. Hawkins Company until his death in 2012.[3]

On September 19 2016, a storage warehouse for W. T. Hawkins in Belleville also was destroyed by fire.[5]
Cheezies seem to invite conflagration. It would probably be wise to not smoke while enjoying Cheezies.

Diarmuid

Super Anarchist
Laramie, WY, USA
Wait! There's more from Wikipedia!

Cheezies seem to invite conflagration. It would probably be wise to not smoke while enjoying Cheezies.
Maybe a little of that "Canuck lightning" at work, hey hey? There's a certain seedy little pizza joint in Eastern PA that burned down three times & now has seating for two hundred.

DDW

Super Anarchist
Back in the Land Of Cleats!

Lovely galvanized cleats in Ketchikan. Last two docks were Shearwater (painted bull rails with inadequate blocking, have to dig through the detritus and weed under the rail to get the line through) and Prince Rupert (steel bull rails, no splinters or slime at least).

Expat Canuck

Anarchist
Salish Sea
As much as people SAY they want expensive, boutique, craft beer.. the data does not support that.

8 months of operating the newest liquor store in the Gulf Islands (located in Silva Bay, come by and say "Hi" on your way back south), shows that the best selling beer by far is the cheapest (Sneaky Weasel).  There is fancy craft beer available too, along with an assortment of hard stuff.

chester

Super Anarchist
As much as people SAY they want expensive, boutique, craft beer.. the data does not support that.

8 months of operating the newest liquor store in the Gulf Islands (located in Silva Bay, come by and say "Hi" on your way back south), shows that the best selling beer by far is the cheapest (Sneaky Weasel).  There is fancy craft beer available too, along with an assortment of hard stuff.
Sneaky Weasel is about 6% ABV if memory serves so a better deal still!

Last edited by a moderator:

DDW

Super Anarchist
Never been in Silva Bay, may try that when I'm heading home. 

I fully believe that most people don't want craft beer or anything unusual. Just look at the shelf space and TV advertising budget of the big corporate breweries. 

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Never been in Silva Bay, may try that when I'm heading home. 

I fully believe that most people don't want craft beer or anything unusual. Just look at the shelf space and TV advertising budget of the big corporate breweries. 
Silva Bay has been ruined by all the moorings. I was last there 2 or 3 years ago and it was almost impossible to anchor - we actually had to crowd the seaplane lane a little bit - not a problem but more than I liked.

From what we were told the overnight rate at the dock is about the same as a hotel room now.

We no longer go in there - we enter the islands through Porlier instead.

A real shame too - Silva used to be the first stop after crossing GS.

A craft beer is certainly no compensation for how they have fucked up Silva.

Expat Canuck

Anarchist
Salish Sea
Silva Bay has been ruined by all the moorings. I was last there 2 or 3 years ago and it was almost impossible to anchor - we actually had to crowd the seaplane lane a little bit - not a problem but more than I liked.

From what we were told the overnight rate at the dock is about the same as a hotel room now.

We no longer go in there - we enter the islands through Porlier instead.

A real shame too - Silva used to be the first stop after crossing GS.

A craft beer is certainly no compensation for how they have fucked up Silva.
Maybe you should try again.
Current rate is $1.95/ft/night (CAD), so quite a bit less than a hotel.  But if you want to stay on land, there are the cottages and the Inn.
Plus there is the Liquor Store, and now also the food truck and the Sunday Market (and art gallery) at the northern-most marina.
There isn't a lot that can be done about the moorings, unfortunately.
I'm not sure who the "they" are that you refer to, but I assure you, we are doing our best to make our facilities as inviting as possible.

DDW

Super Anarchist
I've always gone into Nanaimo and then through the Dodd if coming from the north. The Dinghy Dock is one of the few places in Canada where the fries are crisp rather than soggy. 

A few other places: the Stone House in Sidney. Archipelago in Port McNeill, not fries but excellent house made potato chips. I can go there and just have a couple of plates of the chips, and forget the entree. 

How much do they get for a mooring in Silva? Are there crisp fries to go with the craft beer?

chester

Super Anarchist
Is it any good? Wouldn't mind trying it, if it has US distribution. From the Balderdash site:

Comes in a 15 pack, if your friends rate their good times by BAC.
uuummmm, i have had a few but remember, cheap and strong are it's top characteristics.

Don't yours?  :lol:

Expat Canuck

Anarchist
Salish Sea
How much do they get for a mooring in Silva? Are there crisp fries to go with the craft beer?
$1.95 per foot per night at our marina.
You can get the beer at the marina store, then go over to the Firetruck Grill food truck at the Inn to get your crispy fries and enjoy the lovely lawn overlooking the bay.