Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No freedom of speech should prevail

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

slap

Super Anarchist
Somewhat near Naptown
About the poll..
I do not want the real world rules to ever be...

if the majority thinks you should shut up you may legally be silenced.

The fact a majority thinks Lord should be silenced does not mean we should consider that as a factor in silencing him.

I really believe it is incumbent upon us to describe real harm caused by his spoeech and then to consider whether that real harm is justification for silencing him.

and then I still don't know how I would feel about silencing him
Doug Lord is not silenced. He is free to post on other sites that have not banned him, and he is free to start up his own site with his own forums.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teener

Super Anarchist
PDX
What the idealist in me would like to think:

We as a group have the right to choose who we do and don't associate with. We have collectively chosen not to associate with Doug Lord.

What the cynic in me think's happened:

Doug's a dick. Scott got fed up and gave him the boot.

The truth is probably somewhere in between. Either way, I'm happy.

G.R.F.

Hythe Kent UK
let this die you fucking bunch of dickheads!
So what are you saying here?

You won't be buying one of our "Save Doug Lord" T-shirts then?

I mean you don't have to commit at this stage but the design will probably be better than the "D1 CK " Cook Island Team Devoti shirts we offer.

Matt D

Super Anarchist
forums are a great place for people like you to over react to a simple comment.
threat to readership = less ad revenue, is how I see it, but I could be wrong. just my ppinion, not calling anyone names here, unlike you.
Right. So you'll make up some fantasy about the revenue the site earns and our mercenary motivation in banning one guy, but you can't handle being called a stupid moron? Fuck you, dude. Your ignorance can certainly be as offensive as my insults.

Regardless, if dinghy actually actually paid per view (it doesn't) and if those views were worth a lot (they wouldn't be as it is a sparsely populated forum compared to SA and ACA and even GA), then we would fight to keep DL here no matter what, as there is a LOT more posting in DA when he is around. The quality of the posting sucks ass, but the numbers are there. Doug's banning had zero, nothing, nada to do with any business decision. It was a decision the Ed fought against for a long time, but finally he gave in to the will of a large number of members.

That's all.

Do I cause problems on this board? if so, please make my day and ban me too.
No one has ever been banned for stupidity.
Wow, someone got up on the wrong side of the bed this morning! A simple polite response would have sufficed.

Regardless of the motive to ban him, I'm kind of glad DL's gone.

Though banning him may not have been consistent with the true meaning of Anarchy, I for one find it worth while coming here to read the threads with some golden nuggets. For a while you really had to sift through the crap to get it. There are some solid conversations starting to take place again.

atg

Where did all this idealist pompous bullshit come from?
Amazing what has come out of the woodwork.

I agree that flicking him was not an ideal thing to do but he was the catalyst for this forum becoming a stinking mess, even if the mess was massively contributed to by idiots stoking the fire. It is now fixed, that does not make a precedent it was an specific solution. It does not make this a non forum or any other extended ideal that people now seem to want to get on their soap boxes and wail about.
+1
Complaining about editorial standards here is a bit like sailing in San Pedro Bay after a rainstorm and whining about the smell: if you don't like foiling around floating lawn chairs and tree trunks, go somewhere else.

As Cicero wrote: Excitabat enim fluctus in simpulo. This is all just stirring up billows in a ladle.

G.R.F.

Hythe Kent UK
Only 138 votes?

Thought there would be more than that, especially on an emotive issue like the banning of a controversial figure of fun.

Still maybe that's why it's become such a small forum.

Then again with rude characters like Mr Clean, it aint exactly going to improve in that regard is it?

Maybe they banned the wrong bloke.

Still there's 50+ folk who aint happy with the decision.

Mal Smith

Anarchist
As one definition of Anarchy is "the absence of any guiding or uniting principle", arguing that the banning of Doug is inconsistent with principle of Dinghy Anarchy is nonsense.

morrisre

Super Anarchist
Only 138 votes?
Thought there would be more than that, especially on an emotive issue like the banning of a controversial figure of fun.

Still maybe that's why it's become such a small forum.

Then again with rude characters like Mr Clean, it aint exactly going to improve in that regard is it?

Maybe they banned the wrong bloke.

Still there's 50+ folk who aint happy with the decision.
and a couple of thousand who wish the rest would just move on

Icedtea

Super Anarchist
Right,

Heres my view on Doug,

Yes he was an annoying prick who's only interest in life seemed to be his mono-bi-triple-fucker foiler thingy but hey, it was funny arguing with him.....and the discussions about foilers will truly never be the same again!

GybeSet

Super Anarchist
and that is the point, the discussions may now have a basis in reality (read constructive, informative) and not the dreamtime.

ALSO foiling and people assoc. were tainted by what was going on here, ie Mirabaud was getting dissed by an association with Doug that really did not exist

the DAnarchists were fucked off hearing ANYTHING about it, foiling was bad ju-ju

this can now change, developments in technology, foiling or otherwise can now be discussed here, in a realistic and/or judged way.

it may have been funny to a casual observer or passer-by, but to people that were committed or enthusiastic, ie gave a fuck

it was a massive spoiler

I believe the minority % supporters of 'free speech' in the DL Poll, are largely those spectator passer-by types, and not committed to a constructive DA, not to mention the non-dinghy yachtie vote.

nige

Super Anarchist
and that is the point, the discussions may now have a basis in reality (read constructive, informative) and not the dreamtime.
ALSO foiling and people assoc. were tainted by what was going on here, ie Mirabaud was getting dissed by an association with Doug that really did not exist

the DAnarchists were fucked off hearing ANYTHING about it, foiling was bad ju-ju

this can now change, developments in technology, foiling or otherwise can now be discussed here, in a realistic and/or judged way.

it may have been funny to a casual observer or passer-by, but to people that were committed or enthusiastic, ie gave a fuck

it was a massive spoiler

I believe the minority % supporters of 'free speech' in the DL Poll, are largely those spectator passer-by types, and not committed to a constructive DA, not to mention the non-dinghy yachtie vote.

+1

Icetea "it was funny arguing with him" - that is exactly the problem, it turned every thread into a bear baiting contest.

Have had some comments in e-mails from interested parties that breath a sigh of relief that they can read a decent thread on foiling technology without it being swamped with crap.

Doug was a martyr ;)

G.R.F.

Hythe Kent UK

it was a massive spoiler

+1

Icetea "it was funny arguing with him" - that is exactly the problem, it turned every thread into a bear baiting contest.

Have had some comments in e-mails from interested parties that breath a sigh of relief that they can read a decent thread on foiling technology without it being swamped with crap.

Doug was a martyr ;)

Well imv for what it's worth, I think it's a failure to moderate.

Had his posts simply been deleted now and again, maybe he'd have gotten the message.

As it is, he can still pop up any time he wants, as an anon ident, but the 'character' is now lost which O.K. the poll now calls it, is the majority view, but since when do majorities run sites called Anarchy? Surely that's called Democracy and we all know where that leads..

bistros

Super Anarchist
Had his posts simply been deleted now and again, maybe he'd have gotten the message.

As it is, he can still pop up any time he wants, as an anon ident, but the 'character' is now lost which O.K. the poll now calls it, is the majority view, but since when do majorities run sites called Anarchy? Surely that's called Democracy and we all know where that leads..
Failure to moderate?

This is Anarchy, remember. People are expected to self-moderate to an acceptable level of behavior. In every societal structure, highly regulated or completely chaotic, the nails that stick up painfully to others are hammered down. Even the most unstructured society will self-police out those that endanger their collective desire for anarchy. Doug's behavior made quite a few people (me included) ask for his departure so Dinghy Anarchy could get back to a bunch of individual people talking on random dinghy sailing topics instead of a lynch mob with only one common purpose. Doug caused normally anarchistic people to self-organize to silence him.

Although I support your anarchistic right to keep on re-animating this dead thread, I'd rather hear more from you about your Alto and it's strengths and weaknesses. You are far more valuable a member of dinghy anarchy for your unique knowledge of a boat I've never seen than you are as a champion of a banned pain in the ass.

--

Bill

G.R.F.

Hythe Kent UK

Failure to moderate?

This is Anarchy, remember. People are expected to self-moderate to an acceptable level of behavior. In every societal structure, highly regulated or completely chaotic, the nails that stick up painfully to others are hammered down. Even the most unstructured society will self-police out those that endanger their collective desire for anarchy. Doug's behavior made quite a few people (me included) ask for his departure so Dinghy Anarchy could get back to a bunch of individual people talking on random dinghy sailing topics instead of a lynch mob with only one common purpose. Doug caused normally anarchistic people to self-organize to silence him.

Although I support your anarchistic right to keep on re-animating this dead thread, I'd rather hear more from you about your Alto and it's strengths and weaknesses. You are far more valuable a member of dinghy anarchy for your unique knowledge of a boat I've never seen than you are as a champion of a banned pain in the ass.

--

Bill
Well yes and no, this is anarchy, where like i said UK public schoolsailingboys can come and write obscenties on the board in between been buggered for doing it on the dorm wall. The internet is/was the last bastion of freedom of speech and behaviour good or bad for the individual. Y'all have this ignore poster button don't you? It's always the ones that shout loudest that actually miss the bugger the most once he's gone.

We had exactly the same with a US troll called Sinbad and a host of other ID's on a windsurf forum I visit far to often for my own sanity, everyone hated him, but they were bored when he wasn't around. I do take the point made earlier by the foilers, but was it really true he never sailed a foiling boat? Seemed to me he had some interesting ideas, sort of a crazed genius and some of his rigs looked very interesting.

Anyway I'll get over it, and surely banning is terminal moderation? Tactical Thermonuclear in fact, but then we should expect that from Uncle Sam when he gets mad shouldn't we, even though it's supposed to be an international forum and us Euros don't entirely hold with death penalties..

This thread? hasn't drifted once off page one so it aint dead, but I'll happily talk Alto all day long any day, it was the appearance of the Alto thread that dragged me back here, but it's the more dead thread since the boat aint over there yet, it's builder is a bit lame or to involved with some lead bucket called a Viper..

I shall go look see if I can find the Alto thread and fill in any blanks.

Toodlepip

Phil S

Super Anarchist
Sydney
Regardless of your moral or idealogical perspective, Doug and his distractors arguing crap ruined all threads with any discussion of foils.

At least now there are three strong threads with sensible discussion from people with something to say without vitriole and ridicule.

Latest posts