Colomba

Super Anarchist
57N
So, they'll accept an absurd boat as long as it's not completely absurd? 🎭

Last edited by a moderator:

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
So, they'll accept an absurd boat as long as it's not completely absurd?
The absurdity heuristic classifies highly untypical situations as "absurd", or impossible. While normally very useful as a form of epistemic hygiene, allowing to detect nonsense, it suffers from the same problems as representativeness heuristic.

There is a number of situations where absurdity heuristic is wrong. A deep theory has to override the intuitive expectation. Where you don't expect intuition to construct an adequate model of reality, classifying an idea as impossible may be overconfident. The future is usually "absurd", although sometimes it's possible to rigorously infer low bounds on capabilities of the future, proving possible what is intuitively absurd.

http://wiki.lesswrong.com/wiki/Absurdity_heuristic

I hope that's cleared it up for you.

GauchoGreg

Super Anarchist
For all the talk about how much $$$ OR, ETNZ, and AR spent on AC34, not much discussed about how much LR spent. They were obviously the econo team, buying ETNZ's instantly obsolete Boat 1 design, and not going further with anything other than tweaks of that design. Have not heard what they may have spent on foils and wings outside of ETNZ. Also, it seems they spent a LOT less time on the water than the other teams.

Putting hay in the barn for AC35?

bcopper

Super Anarchist
For all the talk about how much $$$ OR, ETNZ, and AR spent on AC34, not much discussed about how much LR spent. They were obviously the econo team, buying ETNZ's instantly obsolete Boat 1 design, and not going further with anything other than tweaks of that design. Have not heard what they may have spent on foils and wings outside of ETNZ. Also, it seems they spent a LOT less time on the water than the other teams.

Putting hay in the barn for AC35?
Believe they spent about $50M US - was reported in one of the sailing rags.

Xlot

Super Anarchist
Rome
^

?? Thanks to SR: 40 + 5 = 45M Euros

And to the jokers above: I suppose it's a proviso against Larry going for seconds on his $3M campaign promise for AC34

Last edited by a moderator:

CheekyMonkey

LR was a fine participant up until this edition, when they started to act like one of those guests who thought they were the center of, and the one hosting the party.

They'd certainly be a welcome competitor if they keep it classy like they had in the past.

WetHog

Super Anarchist
Annapolis, MD USA
The only team from AC34 that actually fit the definition of a poodle is going to try hard next time? Well that is good news. Hopefully LR does so with a new skipper.

WetHog

strider470

Super Anarchist
The only team from AC34 that actually fit the definition of a poodle is going to try hard next time? Well that is good news. Hopefully LR does so with a new skipper.

WetHog
I really apologize to the many classy OR supporters in this forum. The following answer is for Wethog only and I do not really think what I'm going to write. It's just a reaction to the persistent dumb accusations of this guy to LR team.

Wethog, I hate lowering to your same, very low, level, but speaking about definitions, what about the only team from AC34 that actually fit the definition of a cheater? Are you going to try hard next time? Well that is not good news. Hopefully OR does so with a new skipper.

Strider

RickHalverson

If the challengers were smart they would all pool their financial resources and create a "challengers AC 35 design team" which could not only design all the boats but also share sailing data until say a month before the LV races begin. This would significantly reduce costs and provide a quicker learning curve for all the challengers. But I doubt it will happen.