Luiz Kahl passed aka Yacht Scoring

S291sailor

West Michigan
Was just hanging out with him a few weeks ago. Lotsa fond memories of working together at Bayview YC. Greatly enjoyed his Monday evening Zoom chats during the early Covid days. His perpetual smile and eagerness to serve others made the sport a much better place. Fair winds my friend!!

sunseeker

Super Anarchist
This is a huge loss for everyone who knew him, which means thousands of people, because there probably isn’t another human who has been to as many regattas, or otherwise helped with them over the last 15 years or so as LZ. 

It’s also a huge loss for the administration of the sport, because yachtscoring is the gold standard. Every other scoring program simply sucks by comparison.

I met and talked to him for quite a while just this past Monday.  We were packing up a boat for shipment, and he was working on a club boat next to us.  When he finished his chores, he lent us a hand & spent a while just visiting.  It was the only time I had the honor of talking with him.  Seemed like a wonderful guy.  

Snaggletooth

SA's Morrelle Compasse
Hade some fun exchanges with LZ, allwayes happey to help.  He wase kinde, generouse, and kniew who he wase.  Huge loss foire the sporte, evereybodey realley.

RIP LK            

Landloc

Anarchist
Never had the pleasure of meeting him, but yacht scoring changed the way most clubs run races/regattas. RIP

FINS

Super Anarchist
I have the pleasure and now pain in saying that Luiz is a friend. We spent the day at BYC telling stories, sheading some tears and plenty of toasting him. Visitation Thursday, Memorial on Friday at BYC, more to come later... See you on the other side my friend ... Love Fins.

[email protected]

Super Anarchist
USA
I have the pleasure and now pain in saying that Luiz is a friend. We spent the day at BYC telling stories, sheading some tears and plenty of toasting him. Visitation Thursday, Memorial on Friday at BYC, more to come later... See you on the other side my friend ... Love Fins.
Very sorry for your loss, FINS.

Any very sorry to all Mr. Kahl's friends and family.  Sounds like a truly great man and important figure in the history of the game w/ his yacht scoring. RIP.

Fair Winds,

M

Shife

Super Anarchist
Luiz had an incredible warmth. He lit up every room he walked into. I'll miss his hugs.

DryArmour

Super Anarchist
The man exuded happiness, positivity and always had a willingness to lend his expertise. I came away from our conversations bouncing with energy. It is just the way he made you feel no matter what subject we were talking about. This is a huge loss for our sport. Sincere condolences to his friends and family from the Michaelsen's. Fair winds my friend.