Luiz Kahl passed aka Yacht Scoring

glexpress

Super Anarchist
Hill Valley
Sometimes it is not until people are suddenly gone, gone young or both that you know how special they were to so many.  You will never find a person who will knew him that will say anything but kind words about him.  Not just the sailing world but the world in general needs more people like him.  RIP Luiz.

SW Dropout

Super Anarchist
Huge bummer, and a great innovator and promoter of the sport.  

Did anyone else work at yachtscoring?  Hopefully the site will continue.  By far the best of the regatta management sites out there.  

<snip>

Did anyone else work at yachtscoring?  Hopefully the site will continue.  By far the best of the regatta management sites out there.  
If you watch the You tube video that FINS post he was asked how many employees he had.  Luiz's response was three - "Me, myself and I"

The sport already lost Luiz - that is bad enough.  Loss would be even greater if Yachtscoring did not continue.   

glexpress

Super Anarchist
Hill Valley
Huge bummer, and a great innovator and promoter of the sport.  

Yachtscoring was just Luiz.  There is no shortage of people who want to keep it going, but in life or more specifically death things can be more complicated.  I am optimistic that in this case his digital legacy will prevail

oneguyfromdetroit

Super Anarchist
Detroit
I met Luiz when he first moved to Detroit, or possibly before, when he was in Toledo...we go back many years. Always a class act, always a gentlemen, and an unmatched supporter of our sport. We had a lot of adventures over the years, and back in the day, was the best wing man ever.

Rest well, my friend. You are loved and missed.

Sail on my friend 

80395A6D-144B-4169-8395-304F772D86F1.jpeg

Yachtscoring was just Luiz.  There is no shortage of people who want to keep it going, but in life or more specifically death things can be more complicated.  I am optimistic that in this case his digital legacy will prevail
Luiz was a wonderful supporter of the Viper class. He launched Yachtscoring in the same year that we relaunched the class.  We were an early adopter because he was so kind and helpful, and always seeking feedback on how he could make YS more user friendly.   I am astonished and sad to hear of his passing. He struck me as having the energy and and lack of stress of someone who was going to live a long life.  So sorry.

I also wonder what happens to the existing events registered on YS. Hopefully the site is left on for scoring and the entry fees are recoverable. 

Last edited by a moderator:

glexpress

Super Anarchist
Hill Valley
Luiz was a wonderful supporter of the Viper class. He launched Yachtscoring in the same year that we relaunched the class.  We were an early adopter because he was so kind and helpful, and always seeking feedback on how he could make YS more user friendly.   I am astonished and sad to hear of his passing. He struck me as having the energy and and lack of stress of someone who was going to live a long life.  So sorry.

I also wonder what happens to the existing events registered on YS. Hopefully the site is left on for scoring and the entry fees are recoverable. 

Well said, this is truly a case of the good dying young.

What I'll say about YS is that a friend, sailor and IT professional is handling YS for the interim.  We can leave it at that and the thread should be about Luiz and his life well lived.

WHK

Super Anarchist
Newport, RI
The passing of Luiz is a great loss to the sailing community.  I did not know him personally but had the opportunity to speak with him on the phone a few times when I was organizing regattas.  He was always very helpful.  Later on I developed my Crew Manager app and traded some ideas with him. We were always planning to have a follow-on discussion on how we could help each other and swap ideas, but unfortunately it never occurred.

Condolences to Luiz's family and friends. I am grateful for all he has done for the sailing community.

RATM

Anarchist
I met Luis at Key West in 2004. I was (and still am) a complete nobody in the world of sailing compared to him but he took the time to explain YS to me. Since I am also an App/Dev database guy, I could really appreciate what he built.

Flash forward to 2021, and I can not tell you how many times I have talked to developers about what a great app Yacht Scoring is. I tell them it was built by an actual sailor who also has such great relationships that he was able to build out all the “use cases”.  

Rumbulls

Super Anarchist
Boyne City
Met Luiz at the Detroit NOODs around 20yrs ago.  As Sail Fleet captain of the BCYC, the conversations we had will never be forgotten... Bringing in yacht scoring into our program made an everlasting impact on our events and I like to think it gave confidence to our beer can racers to enter other regattas as well.  

Chatted with him at Ugotta this year and man... I'm having flash backs of having beers with the wingnuts crew before the '11 Mac.

Thank you, Luiz and your time you shared will live with me forever.

Fair winds.

glexpress

Super Anarchist
Hill Valley
Here's an update from the Kahl family regarding YachtScoring, from Facebook:

Dear Yacht Scoring Friends-

As we navigate the tremendous sadness and difficulty of losing a much-beloved brother, son, and friend, we want to take this opportunity to assure you of our personal commitment and interest in keeping Luiz’s legacy and passion, Yacht Scoring, alive and thriving. This is what he would have wanted and what we will continue to work hard to make a reality.

We are making the needed arrangements to keep Yacht Scoring fully operational with the exception of providing his personal support at or during the events.

We appreciate your understanding and patience as we do our best to keep you informed and his dream alive.

Thank you,

The Kahl Family