Luiz Kahl passed aka Yacht Scoring

PeterHuston

Super Anarchist
Thank you Peter but for tomorrow we will be drinking but one drink, Luiz's drink, Rum and Coke.
So true about his rum and cokes.

About 10 years ago I was in Birmingham, my mother was born there and I still have family there.  LZ took me to dinner at some Brazilian/Portuguese place.  He basically ordered the whole meal, which I appreciated because it was my first experience with that sort of thing and he understood that food.  My god....I have never seen so much meat in my life, nor cooked so well.  I remember them bringing out this skewer that looked like the size of a sword from the Medieval days. I asked if that was dinner, to which LZ replied...nope, appetizers.

I hope the food at Bayview will also honor him tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

FINS

Super Anarchist
https://thewildgeese.irish/profiles/blogs/prayer-of-st-brendan-the-navigator

Prayer of St. Brendan the Navigator

'Help me to journey beyond the familiar
and into the unknown.
Give me the faith to leave old ways
and break fresh ground with You.
Christ of the mysteries, I trust You
to be stronger than each storm within me.
I will trust in the darkness and know
that my times, even now, are in Your hand.
Tune my spirit to the music of heaven,
and somehow, make my obedience count for You.'

How was the service / after glow ?
I attended both from Nigeria (omg, our network held!!)

The church was packed, and over 150 of us joined online.  Catholic Mass.

The celebration of his life at Bayview was healing. They did 8 Bells, which caused me to burst into sobs.  The stories, the laughter, the knowing nods .. everyone knew the twinkle in his eye, how much coke he drank (wink), and I think it was so telling that his brother got up and said how they'd always felt sorry for Luiz, up there all alone. That they had no idea about all of us and how astounded they were with the love at the church as well as at BYC - That they understood he'd really been among family all that time, not alone at all.

Truly it was lovely, I thought.

I was really appreciative of what Mike said. 

I think that if you click the links above, they'll take you to the livestream recording. 

bloodshot

Super Anarchist
United States
https://www.northsails.com/sailing/en/2022/05/north-sails-group-yacht-scoring?fbclid=IwAR3oEMwtNY7XMRRzDIpbie0afdQP-gw445L0jDUl_7pNSHMcn3dbpQJ4_Os

North Sails Group is pleased to announce the addition of Yacht Scoring to its family. Founded in 2006 by Luiz Kahl, Yacht Scoring is an easy-to-use yet powerful web-based race management and scoring tool used by hundreds of yacht clubs and race organizers around the globe. Kahl, who passed away unexpectedly in 2021, was a software developer by trade, a competitive sailboat racer, and a passionate race committee volunteer. This addition to North Sails Group is part of an ongoing mission to support the sport of sailing and increase participation.

Callahan

Anarchist
So will North mine the treasure trove of email addresses, phone numbers, boat info, crew info etc that yachtscoring collects? I can see a lot more targeted marketing in our future.

Bump-n-Grind

Get off my lawn.
Chesapeake Bay/Vail
So will North mine the treasure trove of email addresses, phone numbers, boat info, crew info etc that yachtscoring collects? I can see a lot more targeted marketing in our future.
oh I'm sure they will improve their rolodex a little from YS, but seriously how many do you think they didn't already have? The global number of racing boats is a small percentage of boats they've already sold sails to that don't race and never would have been on YS to begin with. 

That should put an end to other sailmakers sponsoring events.  Score another for Big Blue
Why would it? How many events have sponsorship by a sole sailmaker today? I think Key West RW was sponsored by both Q and Big Blue more than once.

That's a "cut off your nose to spite your face" response to this purchase. 

sailman

Super Anarchist
Portsmouth, RI
oh I'm sure they will improve their rolodex a little from YS, but seriously how many do you think they didn't already have? The global number of racing boats is a small percentage of boats they've already sold sails to that don't race and never would have been on YS to begin with. 

Why would it? How many events have sponsorship by a sole sailmaker today? I think Key West RW was sponsored by both Q and Big Blue more than once.

That's a "cut off your nose to spite your face" response to this purchase. 
The sailmaker didn’t own the platform then.  North also has a history of expunging competition as it suits them

Latest posts