Luna Rossa Challenge. AC 36

nroose

Super Anarchist
Berkeley
Seems like they would have been able to address structural issues internally? Some of these design elements are pretty mind blowing!

Ex-yachtie

Super Anarchist
Auckland, NZ
So I see the story on Stuff about LRs skeg mods but can't see it?

Has this been covered in the thread or is it just me being dim?
Holy shit that’s a bad article. 

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/123404373/americas-cup-luna-rossa-make-quick-modification-to-new-boat

This has made me realise that even at its worst, this place is a much better source of information than mainstream media.

“The skeg is seen as crucial in terms of flight for foiling - allowing the hull to kiss the water briefly on touchdowns, reducing the amount of surface area getting affected, while also helping aerodynamics when in full flight.”

It’s no wonder that the AC remains a complete mystery to the general public. 

weta27

Super Anarchist
Today's preparation for sailing

DSC_1197.jpg

DSC_1203.jpg

DSC_1246.jpg

DSC_1256.jpg

weta27

Super Anarchist
Thanks mikenz2, interesting what you can see in the sheds.

Unfortunately couldn't see any Pirelli calendars on the wall.

Here are some glue lines I think?

keel.jpg

Ex-yachtie

Super Anarchist
Auckland, NZ
Seems like they would have been able to address structural issues internally? Some of these design elements are pretty mind blowing!
If it was a structural modification, wouldn’t you expect it to change in dimension along its length?  If it’s some sort of stiffener there’s no reason for it to be that deep at the bow.

barfy

Super Anarchist
If it was a structural modification, wouldn’t you expect it to change in dimension along its length?  If it’s some sort of stiffener there’s no reason for it to be that deep at the bow.
And perhaps it wouldn't have vertical glue lines along its length if they were looking for a stiffener.

Latest posts