Luna Rossa Challenge. AC 36

EYESAILOR

Super Anarchist
Terry Hutchinson comes over as nice guy and has the support of his principle backers. However on the water the Hutch/Barker combo are not in the same league as Ainslie/Scott or Burling/Ashby when it comes to close quarter split second decision making. Their boat is fast in stronger winds but they will need more than that to win the Cup.
Agreed, that they are not in the same league measured as helm and tactician.  However I think that TH is in the upper echelon as program manager/leader/ inspiration . It can be seen in the boat, the tightly knit team and the sponsors etc.

I think Terry should take a page out of ETNZ and Prada and contemplate whether he would have a clearer vision of what needs doing to win if he took himself off the boat. He could objectively observe his team and their racing and take the kind of decisions that really make a difference.  Russell Coutts was not sailing on Oracle and he took the decision to change out JK for Ben Ainslie .  I really think that TH would see a lot from the chase boat that he is not seeing from the pedestal and you cannot get from the film replay.

In the film above, TH described how Dean took the decision to go round the left gate, confirming in my mind that AM does not currently have a tactician. Dean is driving and doing his own tactics while TH and Goody give input on what they see. Decision # 1 for TH is does he need to appoint a tactician for the boat?   He cannot take that decision in a objective analytical manner if he is the tactician candidate.

EYESAILOR

Super Anarchist
If LR lose to Amway, who becomes CoR for the PRADA final?
LR is and remains the Challenger of Record.

The CoR challenges the defender . Both defender and CoR agree that CoR can host a series to determine the actual challenger.   The CoR hosts the challenger series and remains Challenger of Record even if their boat is not selected for the final AC match.

barfy

Super Anarchist
This team excels at making imperceptible changes to things. Makes you wonder if they are bold enough. 

I wonder also if these aren't new foils, just modified foils or new flaps or both.

Also hard to reconcile that they spent months on the smallest foils around and then switched to some of the biggest. I wonder if the first set is salvageable with mods and will reappear. 

The blended foils we are seeing might suggest having a bulb that doesn't contribute meaningfully to lift is too high a cost and the bulb has to pay its way somewhat too. 
I was right about the fast orange tip....someone said it was a protector...duh. Orange is fast, especially when ventilating.

southseasbill

Super Anarchist

The CoR challenges the defender . Both defender and CoR agree that CoR can host a series to determine the actual challenger.   The CoR hosts the challenger series and remains Challenger of Record even if their boat is not selected for the final AC match.
Reading the protocol, that seems to be correct. I recall at some previous AC's that the CoR was replaced when their yatch was eliminated.

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
I was right about the fast orange tip....someone said it was a protector...duh.
Put you glasses on grandad the orange tip has an orange protector duh.

IMG_0677.JPG

image.png.a9470371cec1216d50d545361627bd2f.png

Last edited by a moderator:

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington

I don't think that is correct.

I remember in the past, such as San Francisco, ETNZ assuming the role of CoR as they eliminated the original CoR.

Indio

Super Anarchist
Auckland

Once LR is eliminated from the CSS, they are no longer a Challenger, ergo no longer Challenger of Record. They're out, finito, kaput - fuck off home and take their whining with them. They no longer have a say in anything!

RNZYS/ETNZ chairs the meeting of the 2 CSS/Prada Cup Finalists to select the new CoR, with no vote but with a casting vote - effectively means RNZYS/ETNZ selects the new CoR.

Oneyoti

Super Anarchist
Decision # 1 for TH is does he need to appoint a tactician for the boat?   He cannot take that decision in a objective analytical manner if he is the tactician candidate.
Firstly a tactician shouldn't be grinding.

Secondly.  Goody: Olympic Gold Medalist.  Winner Star Sailors League.  3 x Moth World Champ.  I know who I'd make tactician.

mako23

Super Anarchist
Auckland
Once LR is eliminated from the CSS, they are no longer a Challenger, ergo no longer Challenger of Record. They're out, finito, kaput - fuck off home and take their whining with them. They no longer have a say in anything!

RNZYS/ETNZ chairs the meeting of the 2 CSS/Prada Cup Finalists to select the new CoR, with no vote but with a casting vote - effectively means RNZYS/ETNZ selects the new CoR.
You mean ETNZ select Ineos

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
Crikey Barfy not sure what you’re trying to achieve with those posts but take it from me you need to go to Specsavers.

Last edited by a moderator:

strider470

Super Anarchist

I hope this will remain abstract speculation :p

Indio

Super Anarchist
Auckland
You assume they would want to participate in another crap show like this one.
You assume that they would not want to try again, and that we'd give a fuck if they didn't! 

If ETNZ defends successfully, we only need one Challenger, and Team Brexit are it. 

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
You assume that they would not want to try again, and that we'd give a fuck if they didn't! 

If ETNZ defends successfully, we only need one Challenger, and Team Brexit are it. 
And if GB win it then frankly we don't care if no-one challenges us. After all this time it would nice to be sure of hanging on to it for a while. 

Sisu3360

Anarchist
And if GB win it then frankly we don't care if no-one challenges us. After all this time it would nice to be sure of hanging on to it for a while. 
If you guys win it, you can put all this "back to sailing" talk to bed and make it a fleet race around the Isle of Wight again. No class rules, just run what ya brung.