Luna Rossa Challenge. AC 36

Zaal

Anarchist
Italy
What's the collective noun for gimbal?
It's remote heads I think, they provides stability and makes the camera move. The grip department is in charge of this remote heads, while the camera dept is responsible for the camera / lens put on the head.  Sometimes the remote head can be attached to a crane, and the crane can be on tracks, to add more movements. On the Cagliari shot, the remote head is attached on a rig called Russian Arm, that's usually used for car adv shootings. The only difference was that the RA was mounted on a boat instead of a Porche. The smaller remote heads are called gimbals, like the MoVi 15 or the Ronin, but they work in the same way, they're "portable" remote heads. 

strider470

Super Anarchist
The question of the moment seems to be "if you could steal something to your opponent's boat, what that would be?"

Trying not being too technical,  so that everyone can understand,  my analysis suggests me to steal Te Rehutai rudder.

The reason is simple. It's almost impossible to steer an AC75 without the rudder.

:D

Zaal

Anarchist
Italy
The camera is a Shotover M1, NZ-made.

And this footage was shot the day that I was out on the TV Cat, so that's me you can see hanging on for dear life on the back. I'm the one with light grey jacket and short legs, the other photographer was Stefano Gattini who works for Studio Borlenghi, the official Prada Media photographers.

I mentioned at the time that the TV chopper was buzzing the boat and flying alongside, with Carlo B and his camera in the front. Obviously the TV guys were shooting this at the same time.  

What a blast that day was!
Hahahahaha I’m deeply envious:) Thank you for the answer, did they tell you what camera they put inside the Shotover ? 

MaxHugen

Super Anarchist
The question of the moment seems to be "if you could steal something to your opponent's boat, what that would be?"

Trying not being too technical,  so that everyone can understand,  my analysis suggests me to steal Te Rehutai rudder.

The reason is simple. It's almost impossible to steer an AC75 without the rudder.

:D
Mr Doug's response was classic: "If I could take something away from NZ it would be three square metres of sail."

weta27

Super Anarchist
Thank you for the answer, did they tell you what camera they put inside the Shotover ? 
The Swiss video posted above by Priscilla (#7086) says they are using a Sony P50 4k camera inside the casing, with Fujinon UA 46x zoom lens.

I think I saw somewhere else that the broadcasters are using the same combination here for the Cup??

Recommend watching that video if you want a nice summary, or more detail on the manufacturers website, including different camera and lens options:

https://shotover.com/products/m1

Last edited by a moderator:

Zaal

Anarchist
Italy
The Swiss video posted above by Priscilla (#7086) tells us it is a Sony P50 4k camera inside the casing, with Fujinon UA 46x zoom lens.

Recommend watching that video if you want a nice summary, or more detail on the manufacturers website:

https://shotover.com/products/m1
Just watched it, thank you and thank you @Priscilla for the video ;) I worked closely with the russian arm, camera operator and driver must work together in an incredible way, and here must be the same. Bit surprised there's no focus puller. Amazing shots by the tv crew by the way. Sony is the right choice for broadcast, Red and Arri are for different works like advs, movies, not live stuff. 

weta27

Super Anarchist
Thanks Zaal, it makes me wish I was young again and picking a career - this stuff is so cool!!

Tornado-Cat

Super Anarchist
America's Cup: Italians accuse Kiwis of 'arrogance and disrespect' towards Luna Rossa

“For days now, the New Zealand media have been repeating that the defenders are superior and will have an easy time with Luna Rossa, to the point that the contest should be a mere formality.

“... It is difficult to think of other sports where there is a tendency to belittle the opponent in this way even before an event begins.

“... The goal is to launch these digs at the opponent with the declared intent to insinuate the worm of doubt and undermine their beliefs. It is subtle as well as banal psychological warfare.”

La Repubblica took a similar view in a story headlined: “In New Zealand they already feel the cup is in their pockets”.

“Not only have the stories about speed multiplied, but also increasing are the bold statements, not only of the fans of sailing, the second Kiwi passion together with rugby, but also of former champions and experts.

They felt even the official America’s Cup website had reflected this in its preview, with the inclusion of “rumours”.

“Boat speed can make you appear to be a tactical genius. Winning the starts may be one thing, but if your boat is significantly faster and the team has confidence in this, the focus and tactics can be more about starting cleanly and keeping your powder dry for the point at which you can put your foot to the floor,” read the official preview.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/124466373/americas-cup-italians-accuse-kiwis-of-arrogance-and-disrespect-towards-luna-rossa?cid=app-iPad&fbclid=IwAR1ZLh__Q9rrmoqd-axmo7R6tVU3LidO2aK2GMPPe7B6vO3CLXn0VOmUFLs

Last edited by a moderator:

uflux

Super Anarchist
America's Cup: Italians accuse Kiwis of 'arrogance and disrespect' towards Luna Rossa

“For days now, the New Zealand media have been repeating that the defenders are superior and will have an easy time with Luna Rossa, to the point that the contest should be a mere formality.

“... It is difficult to think of other sports where there is a tendency to belittle the opponent in this way even before an event begins.

“... The goal is to launch these digs at the opponent with the declared intent to insinuate the worm of doubt and undermine their beliefs. It is subtle as well as banal psychological warfare.”

La Repubblica took a similar view in a story headlined: “In New Zealand they already feel the cup is in their pockets”.

“Not only have the stories about speed multiplied, but also increasing are the bold statements, not only of the fans of sailing, the second Kiwi passion together with rugby, but also of former champions and experts.

They felt even the official America’s Cup website had reflected this in its preview, with the inclusion of “rumours”.

“Boat speed can make you appear to be a tactical genius. Winning the starts may be one thing, but if your boat is significantly faster and the team has confidence in this, the focus and tactics can be more about starting cleanly and keeping your powder dry for the point at which you can put your foot to the floor,” read the official preview.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-cup/124466373/americas-cup-italians-accuse-kiwis-of-arrogance-and-disrespect-towards-luna-rossa?cid=app-iPad&fbclid=IwAR1ZLh__Q9rrmoqd-axmo7R6tVU3LidO2aK2GMPPe7B6vO3CLXn0VOmUFLs
So by Italians....they mean a couple of Italian journalists  :rolleyes:

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
So by Italians....they mean a couple of Italian journalists  :rolleyes:
Just Italian journalists being as ridiculous as the NZ journalists.

Of course the local journos are going to play up to the local crowd by saying ETNZ are fucking awesome regardless of whether they are or not.

Storm in a teacup.