Luna Rossa Challenge. AC 37

Maybe the Ape Bay YC is problematic??
I am guessing that they entered to get in line for an AC40.  A team trying to get funding could pay the entry fees with zero intention of building an AC75.  They can compete in the two world series events in their one-design AC40s for exposure and then not make the start line with the AC75.   Just a thought 

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
What's the age cut off for the Youth America's Cup - is it the age of your birth certificate or how you feel and act?
I screwed up (faceplant) - the proposed ACWS events allow men-only, the YAC and WAC events are for only at the venue. So yes, it's possible Canfield and Buckley are aiming for just an AC40, for now. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I screwed up (faceplant) - the proposed ACWS events allow men-only, the YAC and WAC events are for only at the venue. So yes, it's possible Canfield and Buckley are aiming for just an AC40, for now. 
And since Canfield and Buckley put our press releases even when they fart, attending AC40 World Series events would be right up their alley.

accnick

Super Anarchist
I am guessing that they entered to get in line for an AC40.  A team trying to get funding could pay the entry fees with zero intention of building an AC75.  They can compete in the two world series events in their one-design AC40s for exposure and then not make the start line with the AC75.   Just a thought 
They would still need to front a lot of money just to do that. Who would give them that kind of money for such a quixotic  proposition?

All the entry fees are front-loaded, including the performance bond, which they would forfeit. In addition, of course, they have the $2 million pop for the AC 40, and ongoing payment demands of various types. They would not be allowed to race their AC 40 without being current on all payments.

Essentially, they would be pouring somebody's $5 million or so down a rathole, destroying the credibility of whatever yacht club they are challenging from, tainting whoever gave them the money to get that far, and virtually guaranteeing that no one would ever give them any money again, for any purpose.

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
they would be pouring somebody's [millions] down a rathole, destroying the credibility of whatever yacht club they are challenging from, tainting whoever gave them the money to get that far, and virtually guaranteeing that no one would ever give them any money again, for any purpose.
wait. so which team are you talking about here?

accnick

Super Anarchist
It appears someone has. And provided enough to half build a boat in AC 36.
I guess we'll see if anyone has the inclination to throw good money after bad.

Don't get me wrong. It will be great if there are multiple US challengers. But is it better to have two or three marginally-funded teams, or one strong one?

The answer to that isn't clear, since there were teams with plenty of money who under-performed in AC 36 and before.

Plenty of money isn't always the answer, but it's a good place to start from.

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
Don't get me wrong. It will be great if there are multiple US challengers. But is it better to have two or three marginally-funded teams, or one strong one?
Really I was talking about how things are (IMO) rather that how the should be. However, my impression is that the two $B backers of AM are big swinging dicks and nobody else wanting to contribute big $$$ would get much of a look-in on decision making. It's their money and their right to act that way but I don't see any Kum ba yah singing get together of some collective USA team anytime soon.

They would still need to front a lot of money just to do that. Who would give them that kind of money for such a quixotic  proposition?

All the entry fees are front-loaded, including the performance bond, which they would forfeit. In addition, of course, they have the $2 million pop for the AC 40, and ongoing payment demands of various types. They would not be allowed to race their AC 40 without being current on all payments.

Essentially, they would be pouring somebody's $5 million or so down a rathole, destroying the credibility of whatever yacht club they are challenging from, tainting whoever gave them the money to get that far, and virtually guaranteeing that no one would ever give them any money again, for any purpose.
I am retracting my S&S entry suggestion.  It was based on the number of AC40s that had been order.  In the end, TNZ has 2 AC40s in the pipeline, Ineos has 1 AC40 in the pipeline(they are building their own test boat), Alinghi has 2 AC40s in the pipeline and initially I was told that LR was buying 1 AC40.  When another AC40 was place they thought it was going to S&S but instead it was LR putting in an order for a second AC40. 

I don't know what the deliverable dates are on these but I can see a cluster f of a problem if there are any delays in the construction of these at McConnaghy in China - some teams getting theirs well in advance of others and thus getting more time to test foil packages before committing to their AC75 Foils.   Everyone knows how the Foil Arm construction went in AC36.

Therefore, we have NZ, Ineos, Alinghi, and LR confirmed.

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
I don't know what the deliverable dates are on these but I can see a cluster f of a problem if there are any delays in the construction of these at McConnaghy in China - some teams getting theirs well in advance of others and thus getting more time to test foil packages before committing to their AC75 Foils.   Everyone knows how the Foil Arm construction went in AC36.
Good reason for building your own test boat like IUK

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
excuse me for being slow - but is the motivation for a pair of AC40's two boat testing?
Another reason could be so that if you up-develop an AC40 for testing purposes then you can keep it in that condition while sending the other in std-config to the prelims.

Latest posts