Luna Rossa Challenge. AC 37

Varan

Super Anarchist
But the color scheme scares the wildlife out of their habitat...

fish.jpg

buckdouger

Anarchist
Would be interesting to hear from other teams about their processes in similar detail. Of possible concern as far as competitiveness was the 'static' nature of the VPP, and the need to assess the flying shapes in detail post-sailing vs realtime. I have a feeling ETNZ have streamlined a lot of these things to iterate faster, which is going to make closing the gap pretty hard if you haven't.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Would be interesting to hear from other teams about their processes in similar detail. Of possible concern as far as competitiveness was the 'static' nature of the VPP, and the need to assess the flying shapes in detail post-sailing vs realtime. I have a feeling ETNZ have streamlined a lot of these things to iterate faster, which is going to make closing the gap pretty hard if you haven't.
Yes if you think of this as a data and software driven race underpinned by these powerful computer simulators ETNZ have always been strong in this area. Having said that you would think a mature F1 team or aero team such as Airbus would have systems as good as any? And it does seem early on that Ineos has had some dramatic changes in their team structure for example and Mercedes-AMG are taking care of this. Their LEQ12 which is yet to have sailed is perhaps the best data platform we have seen so far?

The_Alchemist

Super Anarchist
USA
Yes if you think of this as a data and software driven race underpinned by these powerful computer simulators ETNZ have always been strong in this area. Having said that you would think a mature F1 team or aero team such as Airbus would have systems as good as any? And it does seem early on that Ineos has had some dramatic changes in their team structure for example and Mercedes-AMG are taking care of this. Their LEQ12 which is yet to have sailed is perhaps the best data platform we have seen so far?
Even though the physics is all equal, I think the simulators are all very specific to the job at hand.

Like for example Airbus and AM. We can all assume that they have excellent simulators and design tools for commercial aircraft, but it may not have been so applicable to simulating the sails and foils with an AC75. AM's new head designer Scott Ferguson says he was first contracted to improve the simulator from the last cup. So obviously the input from Airbus was not enough to make it perfect.

Varan

Super Anarchist
Luna Rossa had a good day...

lr.jpg

Vittorio Bissaro, Italian 2016 Olympic representative in the Nacra 17, was on board Luna Rossa and described the experience:

"It was my first time in this condition [20kts]. I really enjoyed the opportunity. We were out in the higher end of the wind range. The boat is pretty scary in that condition, because it's so fast, so nervous - it was shaking. "

"The biggest difference between the autopilot and me is that so far the autopilot, is a lot better than human. So it's a target for us to reach the autopilot's performance,' Bissario explained.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Doubt it, they have removed most of their logos and covered up the Airbus logo on the old mainsail with a large grey box.
There were two or 3 AB guys with AM last time, it's possible they moved on to Alinghi with some of the other designers but I have not seen AB logos on their boat either.