Luna Rossa Challenge. AC 37

buckdouger

Anarchist
From today's recon, Ivo rovira's.
Article says main control system looked different.
m9030_crop169014_2000x2000_proportional_1675980013CDFF.jpg
m9036_crop169014_2000x2000_proportional_1675980012C62C.jpg
m9029_crop169014_2000x2000_proportional_1675980012F639.jpg

Was it @Sailbydate asking about planform sweep? This shows it well.

m9033_crop169014_2000x2000_proportional_16759800160E00.jpg

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
From today's recon, Ivo rovira's.
Article says main control system looked different. View attachment 573672 View attachment 573673 View attachment 573674

Was it @Sailbydate asking about planform sweep? This shows it well.

View attachment 573671
Thanks, mate. Yep. I did ask the question, but I had a notion that I could see a slightly FORWARD sweep, especially on ETNZ's AC40-1 (LEQ12 - port banana foil). Definitely no forward sweep there. Thanks for posting.

nav

Super Anarchist
Great opportunity to train in some sloppy conditions - handling it well for the most part too it looks like.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Yes. I thought he was being very polite. ;-)
I think the Recon teams are all two-man teams, have the same provided equipment (maybe even boats?) and have minimum reporting requirements. But yes, there could be variability, including due to their close (or not) relationships with the teams. It's the first time I have heard this brought up but have wondered about it.

We did hear an Ineos sailor being pretty uncooperative during an interview with Justin C but maybe he simply had a meeting to get to or some such.

JALhazmat

Super Anarchist
Southampton
Giles wasn’t being uncooperative. They have a three minute mandated window. Justin went over it, and he had to stop.

I think what the bloke from Luna Rossa might be alluding to is some recon teams seem to be much closer than others. Maybe that’s a northern hemisphere thing ;-)

Certainly there have been instances of the Kiwi recon guy referring to the team as “we”, apart from sounding quite a lot like four, it just seems a bit odd.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Giles wasn’t being uncooperative. They have a three minute mandated window. Justin went over it, and he had to stop.
I think he even glanced over at someone who was telling him to stop?

Anyway, no obviously big deal with any Recon 'bias' so far, to us anyway, but maybe teams are more clued in given how they have RFS access.

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
I doubt the teams expect to get anything useful from the interviews. It will be the parts usage, modifications and photos/video of interest at this stage, with race data when the Ac75s are generating it.

So it comes down to how diligent the recon teams are at getting close and taking good video and photos. There does appear to have been better stuff taken of LR, Ineos and AM from memory. But then there hasn't been much on ETNZ that they can't just go and look at on their own AC40 AFAIK. If there has been apart from folls, then yes, the NZ recon team would be deficient

JonRowe

Super Anarchist
Offshore.
The teams are able to direct the recon teams to look at things that interest them, but then the rest is up to the team itself, the INEOS recon team includes some well versed yachting journalists who seem to ask the harder questions in interviews simply because its natural to them...

buckdouger

Anarchist
If I'm not mistaken the recon interviewer for LR is a naval architect.

There has seemed to be a lack of detail in the published recon media covering ETNZ. The 40s also seem to have a bit less to look at though. I'm hoping as more modified hardware comes online that more details are captured.

I think the recon program has to be evaluated over a broad timeframe so that things have a chance to average out.

Latest posts