Macgregor 26 4th Mode

MR.CLEAN

Not here
Saw one yesterday behind a tundra at the gas station here in southern vermont. No mast on the trailer. Me: "that thing so fast it broke the mast, right?"
Owner, who was smiling and affable, clearly worked with his hands, and definitely had zero idea how to sail: "It's back in the shed somewhere."
Me: "Probably for the best"

Ixneigh

Grand Moff
Yea yea,laugh it up, all you real sailors. Then look at Florida bay. My 26m has taken me to nearly every location there including this area near Marvin Key. With the mast and sail up I might add😂😂

3C0FA3F1-B15F-41C5-8177-D75AF4CA19F3.jpeg

BlondeWithFreeBoat

Anarchist
NY
Saw one yesterday behind a tundra at the gas station here in southern vermont. No mast on the trailer. Me: "that thing so fast it broke the mast, right?"
Owner, who was smiling and affable, clearly worked with his hands, and definitely had zero idea how to sail: "It's back in the shed somewhere."
Me: "Probably for the best"

Had an uncannily similar exchange with some folks on a MacG last weekend. Bf made a joke to them to effect of "looks like you're in the market for a rig!". Couldn't quite tell if they were unamused or unclear as to what a "rig" might be!

Marty Gingras

Mid-range Anarchist
In the mid-80s a surgeon here teased that he was going to get a fast new boat. We were all very excited, because Express 37 was the hot new thing and figured it'd be that. He bought a Mac 26 and we were wildly disappointed. He explained that he's a busy guy not up for shorthanding a big boat or rounding up a big crew, and the Mac would let him get around quickly and easily. One of the top racers here now has a Mac 26 to do family with.

casc27

Super Anarchist
Yea yea,laugh it up, all you real sailors. Then look at Florida bay. My 26m has taken me to nearly every location there including this area near Marvin Key. With the mast and sail up I might add😂😂

View attachment 535031
That is some Rimas quality shoal draft cruising right there. If that bar was firm enough be fun to set up a picnic on it and photograph.

Vertical orientation of a cam video... one of the greatest crimes against humanity since the late 70's Cambodian killing fields. Rumor has it the Chinese People's Red Army is studying this as a torture method. The UN is considering a treaty to ban it and mandate landscape orientation. What kind of a two legged monster takes such a video and posts it?

The horror... the horror...

mikewof

mikewof

I saw a 26x on a trailer, apparently coming up from Bear Lake in Utah, not a single other sailboat on the road from Kemmerer up to Pocatello, but lots of ski boats and a pontoon boats. (And yes Clean, it had the mast) Gotta hand it to the Mac guy, he was using it. Tradition around here to shit on MacGregors, from the 26 up to the 65.

I would join them of course, and I love to shit on Ridgelines and wooden boats, but I once saw a Mac very competently sailed in the Hudson back about 25 years ago. Anway, compared to the boats I build, the Mac is a brick shithouse.

Last edited:

pudge

Vertical orientation of a cam video... one of the greatest crimes against humanity since the late 70's Cambodian killing fields. Rumor has it the Chinese People's Red Army is studying this as a torture method. The UN is considering a treaty to ban it and mandate landscape orientation. What kind of a two legged monster takes such a video and posts it?

The horror... the horror...
Actually a bit of an archaic comment. A lot of social platforms have accommodated for it and it works better (Instagram). Also recording with your phone sideways makes you look like a goon, especially if you're focused on a sailboat.