Macgregor 26 4th Mode

MR.CLEAN

Not here
The people who buy these usually are looking for functionality. Appearances are secondary, like a VW bug, another ugly car, but functional and fairly cheap, repairable, and even sort of trendy.
Not really. My scientific surveys have shown that Mac 26X owners are typically undereducated, low-IQ individuals who believe they are the opposite. Occasionally they are high-IQ, on-spectrum engineer or inventor types who believe they have 'hacked' the solution to sailing.

Foredeck Shuffle

More of a Stoic Cynic, Anarchy Sounds Exhausting
Not really. My scientific surveys have shown that Mac 26X owners are typically undereducated, low-IQ individuals who believe they are the opposite. Occasionally they are high-IQ, on-spectrum engineer or inventor types who believe they have 'hacked' the solution to sailing.
Speaking of hacked, I'm champing at the bit for what I hope are the coming posts about boats that spin like a top on their keels as they enter the 4th mode.

Talchotali

Capt. Marvel's Wise Friend
Vancouverium BC
Appearances are secondary, like a VW bug
This would be the earlier, Mac 25 version?

1661890156576.png

dfw_sailor

Super Anarchist
DFW
I think I am a lesbian.
That's just wishful thinking LB.

I think you are slipping though, after all there is much trolling to be done, especially as there is plenty of horsepower available.

What should we call a group of Macs - perhaps a 'school of macs'?

dfw_sailor

Super Anarchist
DFW
The people who buy these usually are looking for functionality. Appearances are secondary, like a VW bug, another ugly car, but functional and fairly cheap, repairable, and even sort of trendy.
Regardless of appearances, functional is very debatable. There are 2 at my marina (one is at my dock, the other on a trailer). Yes they can zoom around the lake, pretending to be like a bulky jetski, carving arcs through the water - because they can. They seem to like being objectionable. Each of the owners also went full send, every week for a few months. Then barely used at all.

And then they have a go at sailing, but it really does sail like shit, especially upwind in 10 - 15 kts. So much easier to fire up the horses instead.

But I dont disagree that for your purposes, motoring in swampy mangrove crud, they are probably near perfect. I value the journey as much if not more than the destination, so I will stay with my 5' keel / 49 year old 30', where the motor is used only for in and out of the marina, & setting the anchor if a big storm is coming.

Lark

Supper Anarchist
Ohio
If I had a dock, and deep water all around, I’d have a pogo thirty instead of my Mac. But I’ve got shallow bays and mangrove marsh instead.
If boats are compromises, tailorable boats have far more compromise per meter then most. Mine remains the best choice for my specific needs and wants. If I lived on big water I'd chose differently, always liked the Cape Dory 28 look. Hurricanes change the math as well. Having the boat nearby means I get far more outings then those stuck traveling to their boat at a 'destination' a few times a year. I've sailed the 22 over 40 times so far this year, plus more sails on the backup dinghy then half the boats my marina see. There are other advantages to balance the compromise a boat with wheels requires. I have a week blocked off next month, but no destination until the weather forecasts firm up. Last year I substituted the Southwestern shore of Lake Huron for Erie. A few years ago I substituted the west (edit east) shore of Michigan, up to Saugatuck. Once it was Kentucky Lake. As long as the drive doesn't shorten my sailing days by too much, I'll find somewhere with good weather. I need a bigger tow vehicle before I go back to the Albemarle. I guess the keel snobs sit in the bar and get drunk when the weather looks poor. Admittedly they can prudently go out in much worse, but many 'yachters' use only one sail at a time anyway. Twice the displacement means half the adventure.

Last edited:

Ixneigh

Grand Moff
Phhh it’s the solution to the fl. Back country for me, and being able to keep the boat at my house instead of on a mooring is another huge plus in storm season. But I mean hey was there a shoal draft boat under 30 feet will standing headroom that’s better than tux Mac, I might have missed?

Ixneigh

Grand Moff
Regardless of appearances, functional is very debatable. There are 2 at my marina (one is at my dock, the other on a trailer). Yes they can zoom around the lake, pretending to be like a bulky jetski, carving arcs through the water - because they can. They seem to like being objectionable. Each of the owners also went full send, every week for a few months. Then barely used at all.

And then they have a go at sailing, but it really does sail like shit, especially upwind in 10 - 15 kts. So much easier to fire up the horses instead.

But I dont disagree that for your purposes, motoring in swampy mangrove crud, they are probably near perfect. I value the journey as much if not more than the destination, so I will stay with my 5' keel / 49 year old 30', where the motor is used only for in and out of the marina, & setting the anchor if a big storm is coming.
It sails like that if you don’t know how to sail THAT boat. You got your heavy keel, your boat carries her way, even with a foul bottom she will sail to some degree no matter what you do. Put up any old rag, point her in roughly the direction you want, it don’t matter if the sails are not trimmed just right, she’ll lumber off happily. She won’t make much leeway even just ghosting along. But, Everything has to be right on the Mac, else she ain’t gunna sail. Sails ragged out? She ain’t gunna sail. Overloaded, off her lines? She ain’t gunna sail. Don’t know how to trim the sails to keep way on, so those thin foils have water moving past them? Then enjoy going sideways. To lazy to reef? Enjoy going sideways. I’ve sailed keelboats, I can hop on your boat and sail her myself, never have done so before. But keel boaters often can’t do the same with a boat like the Mac. The times when I get frustrated with the Mac are the times I expect her to be a keelboat.

LB 15

Cunt
I can hop on your boat and sail her myself, never have done so before. But keel boaters often can’t do the same with a boat like the Mac.
Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Over the past 50 years I have sailed on, quite literally, over a thousand different kinds of sailing boats, mono, tri, cats, race boats from every era, maxi yachts, cruising boats of every configuration and displacement as well as classic boats, ketches, Yawls, sports boats, trailor bailers and several Mac 26's. That your Mac brings you great joy is great - in fact the only purpose of a recreational boat is to make its owner happy- but don't for a moment let that fool you into thinking that the Mac 26 is anything but the worst performing production sail boat ever made.
Even given your clear understanding of bringing it in the 4th mode.

Latest posts